Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shrub ID help, sory no photo, plant got cut down!

Posted by berklady z9 ca (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 8, 05 at 12:39

I konow that it's very hard to ID w/out a photo, but I smelled this flower on a shrub and went back a week or so later to take a photo, and the whole plant was cut to the ground! It had leaves and size (about4' tall) similar to common hydrangeas, dark green, with woody stems. The flowers were ball clusters of 100 or so small (1/4 in) star shaped dark pink flowers. The whole cluster was about 3 inches diameter. The petals felt very waxy and stiff, like the globe could be grabbed and not lose any of it's shape. I smelled it in the middle of the day, and it was very fragrant, sweet.I live in the sf bay area. Any guesses would be great! Thanks a ton, Berklady

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shrub ID help, sory no photo, plant got cut down!

I am trying to think of frant plants that have a ball custer of flowers.
Here is a few I can think of off the top of my head
Plumeria
Ixoria
Dombeya

all of the above come in different colors so if you see something similiar let me know and maybe it will give me a better idea of what you saw.

o

It sounds like an Ixora to me. Do a google.com search for Ixora and see if that's it.

o

Most ixora are not fragrant. Perhaps a Viburnum carlseii? Not sure of the spelling but it's a more of a northern one.
kevin

o

Thanks for the help, sorry i haven't gotten online since i posted my question. It looks most like an ixora out of all of the suggestions so far, but you know how ixoras flowers form a half dome? well this plants flowers were in a globe shape, but stiff, waxy petals like ixora. I think its too cold here for ixora, and this plant was very fragrant and a dark pink. Any further guesses? Thanks a lot,berklady

o

perhaps clerodendrum bungei

Here is a link that might be useful: clerodendrum

o

HORRAY! Jeff al, you've solved the mystery- thanks you so much! And thanks to all who aided in the treasure hunt. Now to search for a place in Berkeley (SF bay area), Ca that's got clerodendrum bungei for cheap.

o

even though fragrant and pretty, be aware that it suckers vigorously and is not considered a good plant for a small garden. prepare to defend the surrounding flower beds!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here