Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
looking for Most fragrant plants that are hardy in my zone5/6

Posted by ranjana 5b/6a pittsburgh pa (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 5, 06 at 13:46

I am looking for most fragrant plants that bloom for a long period as well as are hardy in my zone.
i would appreciate all help I can get from you experts.
Thanks in advance,
Ranjana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: looking for Most fragrant plants that are hardy in my zone5/6

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 6, 06 at 12:05

My top picks for shrubs/small trees would be:

lonicera fragrantissima
magnolia stellata and similar stellata hybrids that rebloom in late summer/fall
hamamelis cultivars and hybrids
abelia mosanensis
lilacs
fothergilla species

somebody who knows roses better can chime in on particular selections, but many rugosa types are bone hardy and have long blooming periods.

I'd also recommend talking to folks at your local garden centers/botanical gardens for suggestions, as well as some research at the local bookstore.

Have fun, and welcome!

Jim

o

Ranjana, Here are a few suggestions;
Order some Spring bulbs now.
-Muscari
-Hyacinths
-Fragrant Tulips
'Apricot Beauty':
'Angelique'
'Peach Melba'
-Fragrant Daffodils:
'Geranium'
'Thalia':
'Replete':

Home Depot has these two shrubs on sale now 3 shrubs for 10.00.
SAMBUCUS Black Beauty
SummerSweet

Every Garden should have a lilac bush.

While you are there pick up some Orential Lilies or order them when you order your Spring Bulbs.
Casablanca
Stargazer

Go to Halson online and order some Fragrant Hostas.
Fragant Bouquet
Royal Standard

Now you have a complete Fragrant garden from Spring to Fall.
Mixed Oriental Lilies

o

• Posted by mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 8, 06 at 11:23

In addition to some of the things mentioned above:

Bouncing Bet (saponaria officinalis)
Meadow phlox (maculata)-deadheading helps both of these
geranium cantabrigiense 'Karmina' (has foliage with a crisp scent, too)
lavender
Verbena 'Homestead Purple' (in protected spots--has a scent I can detect from pretty far away in cooler weather, but maybe I'm nuts since no one else ever mentions that?)
leptodermis oblonga (does bloom continuously, but the scent is light)
Am sure I'll think of more.... Good luck! 'Mare

o

These two are still blooming for me:
Acidanthera (a gladiolus relative)
Tuberose

They are both tender bulbs that have to be lifted before or shortly after frost kills the foliage, but I think they're worth the effort.

o

I recommend Cornwall Blue butterfly bush from Bluestone Perennials.

For autumn there is a small-flowered rust-colored old fashioned Chrysanthemum that is surprisingly fragrant -- unfortunately I can't remember the name. It is mentioned in Pamela Harper's books about perennials.

o

thanks for the the great suggestions. I prefer smallish plants or small shrubs or vines compared to bulbs or trees.
So, could you come up with some more ides on these lines!
Ranjana

o

Viburnum carlesi or something like that, common name fragrant viburnum. Sweetbay magnolia for a large summer blooming shrub. Carnations. Shrub roses, make sure to buy fragrant ones.

o

I have some light lavender fragrant irises that have a nice smell will trade.

o

Hi there! I grew up in Pgh and know some of the plants that my mom grows now. If you have good soil and a sheltered location, you can grow datura for evening fragrance, it doesn't get very big but it will die down in the fall. My mom had no problems with it coming back and reseeding like crazy every summer. There some color variations you can get, like the white, or light purple ones, and some yellow ones too. I saw them for sale in Jung seed catalogs. Also, it's an annual but you can grow some really nice nicotiania (flowering tobacco), it smells great! My mom has a carolina allspice shrub, she loves it! Smells best in the morning. Also, for vines, moonflowers are great for night time fragrance or if you want to make an all white moon garden! You could get the moonflowers and the daturas and (if they have it) some white flowering tobacco. It smells great at night too, no matter what color it is. :)

If you have shade (or plant at the base of your shrubs), you could get some viola odorata (sweet violets), there are some nice colors out there, my mom planted royal robe and queen charlotte in Pgh, and they smell wonderful! She got those from bluestone perennials, in case you need a source.

Hope this helps ya! :)

o

hello i have the giant white night blooming datura innoxia, and the small white mini lefluer lilac datura, and also some of the flowering tobacco,, plmk, if you have anything to trade ,, thank,, you,, beth:)

o

For fragrant rugosa roses, I recommend either 'Hansa' or 'Dart's Dash', both a deep magenta pink, excellent repeat, good disease resistance, and wonderful scent.

To me, the most fragrant lilies are the trumpet lilies. Regal Lily (white) and Pink Perfection (smoky pink) are both dead easy to grow and will naturalize.

I would definitely try to include a lilac, though it will be a larger shrub in time. To many people, it is the most evocative of scented plants. I am one of those people. I can't imagine a garden without a lilac.

Some members of the daffodil family are scented. You'll have to be careful; some of the scented ones are not hardy in a cold climate.

I have included a link to Old House Gardens, a company that specializes in heirloom bulbs and a favorite of mine. Many of the bulbs they offer are quite fragrant, and zone requirements are listed.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens

o

Ribes aureum Pursh (syn. R. odoratum H.Wendl.; Buffalo) Common Name: clove currant
Type: Deciduous shrub
Zone: 4 to 8
Height: 3 to 7 feet
Spread: 3 to 5 feet
Bloom Time: April
Bloom Color: Yellow
Sun: Full sun to part shade
Water: Medium
Maintenance: Low
Flowers: Showy Flowers, Fragrant Flowers
Fruit: Showy Fruit, Edible Fruit
Wildlife: Attracts Birds, Attracts Butterflies
Tolerates: Clay Soil, Drought, Rabbits
Uses: Erosion Control, Hedge

o

Any one knows if SummerSweet's fragrant is heavy, waft or not? What does it smell like?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here