Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ranjana_gw

looking for Most fragrant plants that are hardy in my zone5/6

ranjana
17 years ago

I am looking for most fragrant plants that bloom for a long period as well as are hardy in my zone.

i would appreciate all help I can get from you experts.

Thanks in advance,

Ranjana

Comments (13)

• jimshy
    17 years ago

My top picks for shrubs/small trees would be:

lonicera fragrantissima
    magnolia stellata and similar stellata hybrids that rebloom in late summer/fall
    hamamelis cultivars and hybrids
    abelia mosanensis
    lilacs
    fothergilla species

somebody who knows roses better can chime in on particular selections, but many rugosa types are bone hardy and have long blooming periods.

I'd also recommend talking to folks at your local garden centers/botanical gardens for suggestions, as well as some research at the local bookstore.

Have fun, and welcome!

Jim

• marquest
    17 years ago

Ranjana, Here are a few suggestions;
    Order some Spring bulbs now.
    -Muscari
    -Hyacinths
    -Fragrant Tulips
    'Apricot Beauty':
    'Angelique'
    'Peach Melba'
    -Fragrant Daffodils:
    'Geranium'
    'Thalia':
    'Replete':

Home Depot has these two shrubs on sale now 3 shrubs for 10.00.
    SAMBUCUS Black Beauty
    SummerSweet

Every Garden should have a lilac bush.

While you are there pick up some Orential Lilies or order them when you order your Spring Bulbs.
    Casablanca
    Stargazer

Go to Halson online and order some Fragrant Hostas.
    Fragant Bouquet
    Royal Standard

Now you have a complete Fragrant garden from Spring to Fall.
    Mixed Oriental Lilies

• mare2
    17 years ago

In addition to some of the things mentioned above:

Bouncing Bet (saponaria officinalis)
    Meadow phlox (maculata)-deadheading helps both of these
    geranium cantabrigiense 'Karmina' (has foliage with a crisp scent, too)
    lavender
    Verbena 'Homestead Purple' (in protected spots--has a scent I can detect from pretty far away in cooler weather, but maybe I'm nuts since no one else ever mentions that?)
    leptodermis oblonga (does bloom continuously, but the scent is light)
    Am sure I'll think of more.... Good luck! 'Mare

• david_in_ks
    17 years ago

These two are still blooming for me:
    Acidanthera (a gladiolus relative)
    Tuberose

They are both tender bulbs that have to be lifted before or shortly after frost kills the foliage, but I think they're worth the effort.

• monarda_gw
    17 years ago

I recommend Cornwall Blue butterfly bush from Bluestone Perennials.

For autumn there is a small-flowered rust-colored old fashioned Chrysanthemum that is surprisingly fragrant -- unfortunately I can't remember the name. It is mentioned in Pamela Harper's books about perennials.

• ranjana
    Original Author
    17 years ago

thanks for the the great suggestions. I prefer smallish plants or small shrubs or vines compared to bulbs or trees.
    So, could you come up with some more ides on these lines!
    Ranjana

• lpinkmountain
    16 years ago

Viburnum carlesi or something like that, common name fragrant viburnum. Sweetbay magnolia for a large summer blooming shrub. Carnations. Shrub roses, make sure to buy fragrant ones.

• mamasllamas
    16 years ago

I have some light lavender fragrant irises that have a nice smell will trade.

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

Hi there! I grew up in Pgh and know some of the plants that my mom grows now. If you have good soil and a sheltered location, you can grow datura for evening fragrance, it doesn't get very big but it will die down in the fall. My mom had no problems with it coming back and reseeding like crazy every summer. There some color variations you can get, like the white, or light purple ones, and some yellow ones too. I saw them for sale in Jung seed catalogs. Also, it's an annual but you can grow some really nice nicotiania (flowering tobacco), it smells great! My mom has a carolina allspice shrub, she loves it! Smells best in the morning. Also, for vines, moonflowers are great for night time fragrance or if you want to make an all white moon garden! You could get the moonflowers and the daturas and (if they have it) some white flowering tobacco. It smells great at night too, no matter what color it is. :)

If you have shade (or plant at the base of your shrubs), you could get some viola odorata (sweet violets), there are some nice colors out there, my mom planted royal robe and queen charlotte in Pgh, and they smell wonderful! She got those from bluestone perennials, in case you need a source.

Hope this helps ya! :)

• bhscarlett
    16 years ago

hello i have the giant white night blooming datura innoxia, and the small white mini lefluer lilac datura, and also some of the flowering tobacco,, plmk, if you have anything to trade ,, thank,, you,, beth:)

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

For fragrant rugosa roses, I recommend either 'Hansa' or 'Dart's Dash', both a deep magenta pink, excellent repeat, good disease resistance, and wonderful scent.

To me, the most fragrant lilies are the trumpet lilies. Regal Lily (white) and Pink Perfection (smoky pink) are both dead easy to grow and will naturalize.

I would definitely try to include a lilac, though it will be a larger shrub in time. To many people, it is the most evocative of scented plants. I am one of those people. I can't imagine a garden without a lilac.

Some members of the daffodil family are scented. You'll have to be careful; some of the scented ones are not hardy in a cold climate.

I have included a link to Old House Gardens, a company that specializes in heirloom bulbs and a favorite of mine. Many of the bulbs they offer are quite fragrant, and zone requirements are listed.

Rosefolly

Here is a link that might be useful: Old House Gardens

• maj742 (zone 4-5) north-central WI
    11 years ago

Ribes aureum Pursh (syn. R. odoratum H.Wendl.; Buffalo) Common Name: clove currant
    Type: Deciduous shrub
    Zone: 4 to 8
    Height: 3 to 7 feet
    Spread: 3 to 5 feet
    Bloom Time: April
    Bloom Color: Yellow
    Sun: Full sun to part shade
    Water: Medium
    Maintenance: Low
    Flowers: Showy Flowers, Fragrant Flowers
    Fruit: Showy Fruit, Edible Fruit
    Wildlife: Attracts Birds, Attracts Butterflies
    Tolerates: Clay Soil, Drought, Rabbits
    Uses: Erosion Control, Hedge

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Any one knows if SummerSweet's fragrant is heavy, waft or not? What does it smell like?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner