Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsaunt

Fragrant olive cuttings

Virginia
15 years ago

I can 't get these to root! I've tried Rootone. Cuttings all died. I tried rooting in water--cutting still looks green, but no roots after two months. Can anyone give me advice?

Ginny

Comments (4)

• wliu57
    15 years ago

I have no experience with cutting of FO.
    This website may be helpful.
    http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1450/

Good luck!

Wei

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Ginny, I've never rooted SW, you are talking about Sweet Olive, (osmanthus) right?
    My books says to take cuttings from half ripened wood. Stem cuttings. Water wouldn't work..
    I don't know if you use Superthrive, but if you do, add when watering.
    Place plastic around the plant, but either cut slits for ventilation or keep top uncovered, at least a few hours per day.
    Set cutting/s in medium light..no direct sun. If you have heating cables, the warmth will help roots along, much faster. The top of most refridgeraters will do if nothing else. Good luck, Toni

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

to add to toni's comments, see below.
    apparently, bottom heat is the ticket.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation forum

• longriver
    15 years ago

I often made rooted cutting of Osmanthus, almost ever year. Early to mid week of June is the best timing. The young branches are just about hardening. You need to make 10 cuttings because some branches would produce roots better than others.Trim off too big or too many leaves.

All you need are a thin, clear high-density plastic food container and about 1/2 volume of "only moist" perlite. make long slant cut and dip it with rooting powder. Insert the cuttings at an angle and cover the container.

Keep the container under ample light but no direct sunlight. After 4 months, new root should be there.