Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelsmell_gw

Ylang Ylang question

angelsmell
17 years ago

I have a Ylang Ylang tree that I ordered from Florida about 2 years ago, I live in So California, It's about 5ft now. Does anyone know when this tree wil start blooming? Please describe the scent of the flowers I have never smelled one. If you have any pictures of yours please post. Thank you

Comments (8)

• rayandgwenn
    17 years ago

Well, I will tell you what I have seen/smelled. I have seen a tree about 7 ft tall (well branched) blooming. I have some 5 ft tall, no bloom yets. The scent of the flowers is very strong and very perfumy. It is not sweet or fruity- it is like a woman's perfume. The scent will travel 200 yards or more, it stays with the picked flower for days. Overwhelming after a while, but great in smaller doses.
    -Gwenn

• yellowthumb
    17 years ago

Hi angelsmell,

You are in a better situation than I do. I also have a ylang ylang tree 5 feet tall, no bloom yet. I hope that I could see any. I live in Ottawa, Canada. Climatly challenged. At least you could leave your tree outside much longer. I moved my tree indoors a month ago, now it lost lots of leaves. But this is just the begining of the winter. The poor thing has to wait another 7 months to get outside again.

• bsantosh
    17 years ago

Just to let you know my Artabotrys odoratissimus has started blooming for first time this year. This is a vine ylang ylang. I picked the 1st flower too soon I guess. It was still green at that time. I did not get any fragrance. Second flower is still there and growing bigger. I tried several times but could not get Cananga O to survive in my area.

• angelsmell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well it's now 6 months later, I have appearing on a couple of my branches little green like leaves, could this be blossoms or do you think it's new leaves coming in for Spring? It's still about 5 ft tall. Does anyone else have info on when their Ylang Ylang tree started to bloom?

• orchids41
    16 years ago

I had a Ylang-Ylang tree when I lived in South Florida. The flowers are green and look like leaves...easy to miss unless you're really looking for them. Your plant is certainly large enough to bloom. Enjoy!

• rayandgwenn
    16 years ago

Yes- you may get some flowers. My tree is about 6 ft tall and about 2 months ago the same thing happened. At each leaf, a new growth developed. Most were branches with leaves, but some were flowers. I now have some seeds developing.

• Serinus
    16 years ago

The fragrance is a deep "Narcotic" floral very similar to jasmine and ripe bananas. It has a very strong aldehyde note during the evening. The trees can bloom very young even in a large tub. Can grow quite fast!

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz