Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ylang Ylang question

Posted by angelsmell Fullerton, CA 1 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 12, 06 at 16:24

I have a Ylang Ylang tree that I ordered from Florida about 2 years ago, I live in So California, It's about 5ft now. Does anyone know when this tree wil start blooming? Please describe the scent of the flowers I have never smelled one. If you have any pictures of yours please post. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ylang Ylang question

Well, I will tell you what I have seen/smelled. I have seen a tree about 7 ft tall (well branched) blooming. I have some 5 ft tall, no bloom yets. The scent of the flowers is very strong and very perfumy. It is not sweet or fruity- it is like a woman's perfume. The scent will travel 200 yards or more, it stays with the picked flower for days. Overwhelming after a while, but great in smaller doses.
-Gwenn

o

Hi angelsmell,

You are in a better situation than I do. I also have a ylang ylang tree 5 feet tall, no bloom yet. I hope that I could see any. I live in Ottawa, Canada. Climatly challenged. At least you could leave your tree outside much longer. I moved my tree indoors a month ago, now it lost lots of leaves. But this is just the begining of the winter. The poor thing has to wait another 7 months to get outside again.

o

Just to let you know my Artabotrys odoratissimus has started blooming for first time this year. This is a vine ylang ylang. I picked the 1st flower too soon I guess. It was still green at that time. I did not get any fragrance. Second flower is still there and growing bigger. I tried several times but could not get Cananga O to survive in my area.

o

Well it's now 6 months later, I have appearing on a couple of my branches little green like leaves, could this be blossoms or do you think it's new leaves coming in for Spring? It's still about 5 ft tall. Does anyone else have info on when their Ylang Ylang tree started to bloom?

o

I had a Ylang-Ylang tree when I lived in South Florida. The flowers are green and look like leaves...easy to miss unless you're really looking for them. Your plant is certainly large enough to bloom. Enjoy!

o

Yes- you may get some flowers. My tree is about 6 ft tall and about 2 months ago the same thing happened. At each leaf, a new growth developed. Most were branches with leaves, but some were flowers. I now have some seeds developing.

o

For the odor part of your question:

The characteristic odor of Ylang is from a chemical called Methyl para-Cresol. By itself, this chemical smells in the direction of Band-Aids and hospital cleaners, but combined with the other items in Ylang Oil it provides a sultry warmth and exotic richness to a Jasmine like fragrance base.

When the flowers of Ylang-Ylang are distilled, the essences are divided into 4 parts called: Extra, No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3. The 'Extra' is the lightest and the 'No. 3' is the heaviest.

That's probably TMI, but I hope it answers your question.

o

The fragrance is a deep "Narcotic" floral very similar to jasmine and ripe bananas. It has a very strong aldehyde note during the evening. The trees can bloom very young even in a large tub. Can grow quite fast!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here