Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emh8

Can I keep my potted Gardenias alive inside this Winter?

emh8
14 years ago

I bought some beautiful gardenia topiary's at Lowes's this spring. I repotted them, adding some more potting mix and osmocote, in heavy stone planters, just a bit bigger than the original plastic pot. They bloomed profusely all summer outside, and the leaves were shiny and dark green. I broke my back carrying them them inside for the winter two weeks ago. Alas, since then most of the leaves are turning yellow, from the interior of the plant. I have them in my sunniest rooms, which are really not very sunny. Am I doomed to lose them? I have been reading the forums, and have figured that I should not overwater. Could they just be stressed from the change in location? Should I pick off the yellowing leaves? Any suggestions or experience to help me?

Comments (12)

• emh8
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, Blutayle, for your thorough and helpful answer!

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Wish I could help you..:-(

But I have givin all mine away now, except for a few small potted ones..Those are next..

Please, keep us updated on your progess.

And to add to blutayles great comments, overwatering most of all!

• User
    14 years ago

Emh8,
    My advise to you is to enjoy your plants every day that you have it, and when it dies, which it will, accept the fact that IT ISN'T YOUR FAULT.
    Next year, buy any other plant to enjoy, mabey even a tropical hibiscus, and bring that in if you want to.
    Use gardenias as an annual in your zone.
    You will always be happy with it then.
    You can always look forward to buying brand new plants every year which is exciting.
    Remember, you have to tell yourself "it's not my fault".
    Otherwise, you will drive yourself crazy trying to keep that plant alive in the winter.
    It's not worth your sanity.
    We all know on this forum, because we've all been there and now cold zoners just give them away or throw them out.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Butterfly, sorry, but I have to disagree with you. :)
    I admit, growing Gardenias indoors, especially in lower zones is not an easy task, but it's not impossible either.

Emh8, follow Blutayles instructions. And if possible, invest in a humidifer and/or indoor fountain.
    Both can be purchased at reasonable prices..
    As for additional lighting, I use a 6' workshop light. They sell ornate lighting devices, but it depends how much you want to spend. Also, if you only have one plant, you can get by with a small fixture or floor lamp.
    Gro Lights are a bit pricy, so if you want to save on $$ yet want something that works, get a 2-bulb fixture, one cool white and one warm white flurescent bulbs.

Daily misting helps a lot. If possible, hauling the Gardenia to a sink/shower, soaking leaves, 'not soil' increases humidity.

Don't overwinter your Gardenia in a hot room..nope..that's an invitation to Spider Mites..A cool room is perfect. Do you have such a room?
    Keep away from heating vents..

If your Gardenia has foil, remove ASAP. Some plants are sold to look, 'pretty,' but foil is a sure way to kill most plants, let alone a Gardenia.

Do not fertilize during winter months..Withhold fertilizer until you notice new growth or once days grow longer.

Don't bother repotting in winter. As long as its current container has drainage, and well-draining soil, it should be okay..Water your gardenia well, then wait until soil feels dry/crumbly.

In spring, you can start fertilizing..I use Azalia/Rhodo fertilizer.

There's more to learn, but for the time being, let's see how it does.
    And yes, remove yellow leaves..they will not revert to green. While removing them, check to see if they feel sticky.
    Any leaves that fall in soil should be lifted and tossed..Good luck, Toni

• meyermike_1micha
    14 years ago

Toni,

And because of your fine expertise and suggestions, I was able to survive many a gardenia every winter when at once I never thought possible..;-)

Great advice!

Mike..:-)

• bibbus 7b
    8 years ago

I never know when to bring in my plants. Sometimes I bring them in at night and out to keep them outside as long as possible. But I have a tree gardenia and careful as I try to be, I knocked off an unopened bloom bringing it inside when we had a spell of 48 degree lows. Its too heavy and awkward to bring it in and out much. Should I just go ahead while I mostly don't have heat or air conditioning on (zone 7b) or should I wait until nighttime temperatures will be in the low 50's? We have a week of very mild weather in the forecast - highs in the low 80's and lows in the mid to upper 50's so it should be ok this week.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago

Bibus. I know that most gardenia need cooler temps to set bud for the next season. I have always left mine out until night are into the 40's..

• bibbus 7b
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

That's good to know. So it won't affect the blooms that are about to open if it gets that cold? Also, I saw that high humidity is important indoors. I was wondering if a small electric potpourri warmer might be helpful. I don't have a humidifier but I found this little pot that might work and not heat up the room. Its a tree gardenia and too large to move to the sink. Do you have a way you provide humidity over the cold months? Any other advice on overwintering indoors? I have a room I can keep cool at night (60ish) and it gets bright most days.

• myermike_1micha
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

What will affect the blooms is dry air and a lack of bright light inside, worsened by the change of environment.....Usualy when bringing them inside, if you have not acclimated them dasy in advance, they will bud blast.You are best to leave them outside in open air, what they are use to, where it is not as dry as your home.

They will slow down a bit, but the flowers will last you longer when they do open. Please make sure not to over water at this time..

Too, your other option is to bring them in at night, and put them back out by day, so the roots are constantly kept warmer, and gardenia will be use to coming in in a couple of weeks to your house temps and drier conditions..)

• strawn5491
    8 years ago

I have managed to keep a gardenia alive, even in zone 7 outside in a very protected area. I wrapped bubble around the base of the pot thacame up to the top of the branches, and then covered with two heavy sheets every night. So I would pull off the sheets when there was really good filtered light. I am very excited to be able to actually keep it alive and it is thriving with many new leaves but, now, there are some yellow leaves I the middle of the plant. Any suggestions???

• Linda Justice Cordes
    7 years ago

I'm a first time gardenia plant owner I read all the remarks about overwintering and how hard it was but I did it anyway Winters almost over and my plant has thrived grown and now budding I'm so surprised Good luck to all of you