Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping a Gardenia Tree alive thru the Winter

Posted by campbellms North MS 7b (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 19:45

Any recommendations on keeping a Gardenia tree alive thru the winter (this assumes I have to bring it in to survive the winter)? I bought it late Spring, and since have repotted it, and have done my dangdest to ensure it has well-draining soil

Especially interested in trimming needs, fertilizer, frequency of watering, and how I should acclimate to indoors from outdoors.

Sorry for all the questions but this will be my 3rd attempt to keep one of these guys alive

Thanks from 7b,
ED

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping a Gardenia Tree alive thru the Winter

It's actaully pretty easy. All depends on the condition when you bring it indoors. The best chance would be a pretty pot bound gardenia in a well draining mix. The key point indoors in winter is to avoid warm and dry but no sunshine. The best way to judge when to water a gardenia is by feeling its weight. The pot should be much lighter compared to a new watered one.

o

Ed,
Since you have a problem bringing them in potted up for the winter, why don't you plant it in the ground?
Your in Northern MS, zone 7B, do you have a morning sun location?
You could even plant it in an afternoon sun location if you could plant something near it to shade it in the afternoon heat.
Gardenias are like rhododendrums, they don't like it inside, they love it outside.
So, plant it in the ground now and mulch it real good and watch it grow!
If you have clay soil, make sure to mix alot of manure real good in the soil first then plant it up on a mound, above the natural soil line, then mulch good. This improves the drainage.

o

I am am very tempted about the outside idea....I have an August Beauty planted outside that seems to be doing well. Not sure about this variety, but the limiting factor is more what are good sheltered locations with sun.

o

will my gardenia tree survive the winter. I live in PA in Bedford county

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here