Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
White fungus on jasmine

Posted by Charlycara (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 16, 04 at 20:18

We have a white jasmine plant and after about 2 weeks we noticed a white fungus like growth all over the plant.WThe areas affected by this seem to be in very poor health. There have been no flowers on it since we got it home in late September. It is an inside plant.Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: White fungus on jasmine

Hi, Charlycara. Sounds like powdery mildew. This is the result of a plant being in a too-dim and too-airless place in the house. Jasmine need sun.

Spray your plant with a fungicide, Safer's fungicide is good. Or you can also use a spray of baking soda diluted in water. I think the formula is 1 tablspoon of baking soda to a gallon of water. Add a drop of dishwashing liquid as a wetting agent.

But you also have to move the plant to a better spot, nearer the sun and nearer a fan or a window that's opened now and then.

If you can stop the spread and give the plant a better spot, it should recover.

Good luck.

o

Thanks

o

Hi Charlycara - did the solution work on the fungus? i had similar problems with two of my jasmine plants and one died. the other one is limping along. have to keep it indoors here in jersey during the winter!

thanks!

o

• Posted by jview Z7a NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 22, 05 at 12:23

Charlycara, Are you familiar with mealy bug? At fist glance it looks more like a fungus than a bug. you might be able to get a picture of it on google. If that is what it is, then using denatured alcohol on a q-tip (probably several times) should get rid of them. Jerry

o

Thanks for the tip, Jerry. I have them on my sambac, but I didn't know what they were called. Rubbing alcohol seems to kill them pretty well, though I'm finding that I have to do several treatments to keep the stuff from coming back.

Check out the photo of the mealybug predator on this OSU link (photo 6). It looks more intimidating than the pest.

Here is a link that might be useful: OSU mealybug page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here