Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
flowers that should be fragrant but not

Posted by orchidbee 10 Ft. L. FL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 11 at 22:09

Hello,

I might be fun and interesting to list and compile plants whose flowers should be fragrant by virtue of appearance, name, or taxonomy.

Why do plant's give up fragrance in their flowers? Many plants have flowers with no nectar (1/3 of orchids or about 10,000 species lack nectar) Research has shown that plants with flowers that lack nectar out cross more often. This is because the pollinator moves on after sampling a flower or two without nectar, so visit more plants per foraging bout. Pollinators that stay on the bush and move flower to flower are picking up and delivering pollen from of the same plant promoting self pollination which results in a narrower gene pool.

But what could be the selective advantage of giving up fragrance. For instance all Plumaria have fragrance except P. pudica. Why was fragrance selected against in this species?
Here are some to begin with. I am thinking mainly of plants that have not been messed with by man and woman.

Plumaria pudica
Wrightia antisyphilitica
Thunberia fragrans
Rhondolettia fragrans
Kopsia fruticosa

Happy Sniffing

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: flowers that should be fragrant but not

I will say:
Bouganvillea
Dombeya seminole
Desert rose

o

• Posted by mrao77 TX US zone 7 (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 1, 11 at 15:34

One I can think of right away is Tabernaemontana divartica "flore pleno", supposed to be fragrant, but I have never gotten even a whiff of it! It is a beautiful, white, whorled flower, looks like gardenia, but no fragrance :(
Even the single whorl variety, pinwheel flower, is not frargrant, although it is touted to be by most nurseries!
mrao77

o

Hi Mrao77,
I had T. divaricata 'Flore Pleno' from AlmostEden and was able to smell it. It was a little bit spicy, actually forgot what it smells like exactly, but it definitely was nothing to write home about. In the early morning or dusk was when I can sense it. So weak I had to put my nose up right next to it.

I wish Ranunculus were fragrant, these are very floriferous and easy to grow.

Adeniums were not known to produce any fragrance flowers at all. But recently, Thai breeders were able to develop scented ones. This I find amazing and perhaps with enough breeding, many scentless plants can be selected to develop a scent.
Dar

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here