Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bunti_gw

Mali Chat from Alohatropicals

bunti
13 years ago

I have got Mail chat plants from Alohatropicals. But i have got wrong plants. They look like Maid of orleans. If anybody is planning to buy Jasminum Mali chat, please make sure with them that they are sending correct plants.

Comments (75)

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

I got mine today from Aloha, with buds.. will take photos and let you know as the flowers open up.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Here is the twig i got from Aloha.. Looks the same as Bunti's, but smaller..

will post after they bloom.. either way , i decided not to bother with Aloha anymore. Maybe this is their perception of Mali chat..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Doesn't look anything like Mali chat. Thanks for the update Radha.

• bunti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I can definitely say, its not mali chat. They have proper photo of mali chat on the Net. But the plants they are selling are different.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

It is likely J. Arabian nights..
    I did pull the flower apart. It has 2 good layers and the 3rd is the center, very small layer. Maybe Malichat is 4 layered flower. Oh well..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

My order from Aloha came today. The jasmine is big, probably the same size as bunti's, came with buds. It is definitely not the Mali Chat.

I'm a bit annoyed and disappointed, but moving on. : )

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Here's my (mislabeled) 'Mali Chat' from Aloha,

{{gwi:811783}}

I'll keep it anyway since I like sambac.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

for those you might be interested, TOP now has both the Mali chat and Arabian Nights in stock (along with Duke supreme!) :))

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

GAAH! Why does Top have to have the California restriction this year? It makes no sense to me.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Trust me, Musaboru, TT is doing you a favor. I got the GDsupreme, or so they say.. it has 4 leaves,( which were cut off halfway as they may have had some problem) and one internodal space. The whole length of it is 2 inches or less.. So please do not feel bad. I am not going to bother with them, as I know their customer service is just about nonexistent.. If this 2 inch thing survives, it will be a credit for my growing skills and none other. I will take photos and post succesively to see how this goes. I actually thought of ordering their Mali chat, but some how felt that I should wait to see what I am getting first. And I am happy that i did..

Aloha's 8 inch twig looks like a monster compared to what I have now..
    Bottom line is, I will listen to my own advice and not order from both these nurseries in the future..

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Hi, Radha. Yes, a three inch twig is what I got for $40 ordering artabotrys hexapetala in a "one gallon" size from TT. As you said, if it lives it will be a tribute to my growing skills.

Funny, tho, a Jasmine molle and a Grand Duke I bought early in August were nice sized.

I guess they only skimp on the rare ones.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

wow that is suck to hear. I guess I'm a bit luck out, my supreme is about 7" tall. I'll post a picture later.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

That does totally suck. Sorry to hear about that you all. :(

Last week I broke a off a 5 inch piece of GDoT and stuck it in a pot with another plant. I pulled it out today and noticed some roots already. I'm not a mass propagator, but it beats me to see that TT is sending you guys these tiny plants after you all have been waiting so long for GDS I'm sure. They must have only propagated them recently.

• bunti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Once I have got Artabotrys & Jasminum Grand Duke Supreme for $60 each from TT. They are very tiny plants, and didn't servive. I have bought 2 Mysore mulli. Only one became mysore Mulli and other became Maid of orleans. I felt so bad about it. Their customer service is also very bad. Only few plants from TT are good.

I have got artabotrys from ebay. I have got nice size plant and now its doing very good. This year i had somany blooms too. I am very happy with my plant. In the 3rd photo you can see the flower too.

This is what i have got one year back.

This is what they are now.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Musa, my doctor, who is from Lebanon, roots her jasmines that way, so they must root pretty easily.

About the "one gallon" -- my guess is they buy four-inch pots of rare things and repot up to a gallon.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

I would like to know if anyone has seen the Malichat flower before? And know the size of the flower.
    If there is time log on to TT and click on the pictures of the plant , and not the single zoomed in flower..let me know what you think of the flower size..

BTW, the twig from TT is really 1 inch, and will post the picture soon. They posted a 6-7 inch plant on their plant size picture. I think Kem, you lucked out.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

here's my $37 grand duke supreme from TOP's:
    {{gwi:811799}}

it's around 7", came with a big pile of soil. It looks like a newly rooted cutting, the roots are white and healthy so that's the good news.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

bunti, is yours Artabotrys siamensis? How's the scent?

• bunti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kemistry,

Its artabotrys Siamensis. It smells very good. I can't describe the scent. But its really good. I do have artabotrys hexapetalus. Got it from Gardino nurseries. Its also a big plant but it didn't bloom this year. Hopfully it may bloom next year. I don't know the difference between these 2 varieties. I feel the plant structure looks different. Here is the photo of Hexapetulus.

Here is the grand duke supreme i got for $25+ tax. If anybody wants the plant contact me the next summer. If the local store has any availability i can buy and ship for you.

Leaves of Grand duke supreme looks like this.

New growth looks like this.

• kandhi
    13 years ago

I think the unnamed variety that I own seems like Grandduke supreme variety.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Everyone..

Bunti - i read that A. hexapetalus is a better choice out of the Artabotrys. But from what you said about the Siamensis, I'll add both to my (near) future plant list. :)

Kandhi, that duke supreme's bloom is just too perfect!!! :)... i hope mine will bloom soon, but i'll wait patiently for it.

Oh Radha, have the jasmines from Thailand arrived? Looking forward to their pictures!!! :)

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

Kem,
    got them, good size plants..will post them soon..

• kemistry
    13 years ago

here's that 'mali chat' from Aloha, blooming for me today. The flower has a double tiered form:

{{gwi:811822}}

does it resemble arabian night, mysore or plore plena to you? i wonder what cultivar this is.

• bunti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Kemistry,

the flower looks like as you put one flower in another. I am glad that you got something different if not mali chat. It doesn't look like arabian nights or mysore mulli. My flore plena doesn't look like this. I wish my plants from aloha tropicals bloom like this.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

bunti, it does look like two MOO flowers stacked ontop of each other.

The flower took 2 days to drop. On its first day, it looks like this:

{{gwi:811824}}

Then on the second day, the flower becomes a double tiered form like in my previous post. The scent is mild, isn't as heady as Moo, but still a lovely sambac scent.

• bunti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have got 3 plants from aloha tropicals. None of them look like this. Flower looks very nice on first day. May be mine will bloom next summer like yours.

• fragrantflower
    13 years ago

Hi Radhavall,

I'm a new member here. I was also looking at the offering from Thailand through ebay. Please post your comments when you receive the plants and how successful with the plants. I'm just worried, how the plants going to survive when shipped bareroot. Thanks.

• flowers_galore
    13 years ago

The plants I got from Thailand are large size plants. They had good roots and leaves. The roots were wrapped in sphagnaum moss. I got 3 plants from him..
    This is the average size..

regards..

• fragrantflower
    13 years ago

Hi Radha,

Your Malichat looks like a real good size. Thanks for posting a picture. The Malison you ordered from Thailand(on his ebay page the picture looks like GD of Tuscany), is it Grand duke supreme or Grand duke of Tuscany. If possible could you please post a picture of this plant.

Thanks.

• lolas_garden
    11 years ago

here im posting a picture that have most of the jasmine the mali chat that i grow for sale is not the one you have in your picture (bunty) that to me looks like Mysore mulli , the maide of Orleans has less petals also (kemistry) your jasmine looks to me mysore mulli , i will post now what the malli chat looks like the flowers are smaller

• lolas_garden
    11 years ago

and here is the mali chat is a very tiny flower :)

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Two ebay sellers are selling the jasmine mali chat . there names are blomning and tariqsheik3 there are on ebay.uk and both can ship to the u.s. of you contact them .Tariqsheik3 has two mali chats right now and blomning has 4 mali chats available

• plantcollector75
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My mali chat jasmine from ebay seller : tariqsheik3

Very nice plant with new growth appearing . Happy to have it in my garden :)

Top Tropicals.com plant information, Mali Chat Jasmine is the rarest type of sambac jasmine. Very slow grower. Produces small 3+ layer fragrant flowers.

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

hi plantcollector75, are you sure, the mali chat plants you got in ebay are Jasmine variety

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Fruits_veggies, yes I am 100% sure the jasmine is a mali chat. Here are some updated pics of the jasmine

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

It the jasmine is suffering from this , I don't know what it is, I think it might be rot.

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

plantcollector, since I couldn't see any leaves, wanted to make sure that you got mali chat jasmine. Btw, I checked in ebay, I couldn't find any seller named tariqsheik3, could you please the share link, thx

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Ebay.uk link:ebay.uk JASMINE MALICHAT THAI-SAMBAC MALI-CHAT MOGROW .remember that you have to contact the seller to let him ship it to U.S. state. There is also the other seller on ebay.uk from Sweden that is selling the mali chat jasmine too and like tariqsheik3 you have to contact him to ship to the U.S.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

To see the sellers go on ebay.uk

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

thx plantcollector

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

You're welcome :)

• fruits_veggies
    8 years ago

hi plantcollector, has your mali chat bloomed? curiously waiting to see the flowers :-)

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

No it hasn't bloomed yet , but hopefully it will someday

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    8 years ago

Congrats Plant Collector! Looks like its on the road to recovery.

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Just a small update on my mali chat

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

here are some updated pics of my mali chat jasmine on the 27th of august. It has since the last post grown a grown 10 + inch long stem and is in the process of growing another stem.

• Family Guy
    8 years ago

plantcollector75

How long did shipping take from the UK for the mali chat?

• plantcollector75
    8 years ago

Here is a almost end of season update on my mali chat jasmine I bought from ebay. by the way family julius the jasmine took 3 to 4 days to arrive here in tx.

the mali chat has grown two, about 10inch+ stems ,since the last post.and has not yet flowered. But will probably flower next year or the next year after that.

• Family Guy
    8 years ago

Thanks I live in Florida and just recently ordered from him seen through this site by your recommendation, thanks

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists