Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mali Chat from Alohatropicals

Posted by bunti 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 3, 10 at 22:23

I have got Mail chat plants from Alohatropicals. But i have got wrong plants. They look like Maid of orleans. If anybody is planning to buy Jasminum Mali chat, please make sure with them that they are sending correct plants.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mali Chat from Alohatropicals

hm, flower doesn't look like Moo to my eye. Is it a double-form?

But yes, it doesn't look at all like the mali chat. How disappointing.

o

I got a Mali Chat from Aloha. It has opened two buds, which are extremely double, smallish tight flowers, just like the ones bunti posted on his thread. They are also very fragrant.

Doesn't look at all like Maid of Orleans.

o

could it be the mysore mulli, I wonder?

o

Maid of Orleans usually doesn't have that many petals. This looks semi-double. Sometimes plants may give off different flowers at first, especially from stress. But the way it looks even now, I highly doubt it is actually a Mali Chat. Perhaps it could turn out to be the coveted 'Arabian Knights' when it becomes more established.

Initially, my Flore Plena didn't produce many layers, around 3 layers and now produces 5+ layers after about a year of owning it.

Good luck. I hope you sort it out with them. At least you got a good sized plant though.

o

as much as i would like to keep this variety, i didn't pay $27 to get a wrong plant. This is really really discouraging.

bunti and mehitabel, if you are contacting the seller, please keep me posted on what they have to say. Thanks.

o

The day i have received the plants i felt that its defintly not going to be a mali chat. I don't feel like to contact seller with out confirmation. so i waited for a week to open up the flower. I definetly say this not even mysore mulli and arabian nights. It looks like little bit Balle of india with long and lean petels. I am very disappointed.

o

I have contacted the seller. In the First mail they said that the plants are mali chat. I have replied saying that they are not mali chat.

Second mail they asked me to return the plants. so that they will refund or replace.

o

Since i also ordered from Aloha, against the best of my instincts, will wait and see..
I heard Aloha is not the best of the nurseries, similar to TT in reputation. but since i did it, will wait.. Oh, the things we do for Jasmines....
will keep you posted..

o

Thanks bunti. I hope you'll get the correct Malichat for your replacements.

Radha, let us wait and see. Maybe mine will this or the next week.

o

radhavall, they will ship the plants after 10-14 days of placing the order. If its not more than 10 days its better you cancel the order. I don't think they have correct variety of Mali chat.

mehitabel, can you please post the photo of your flowers.

o

Hi,

After I posted the above and before I read Bunti's last post, I called Aloha directly. To my surprise after trying a couple of times, they did pickup the phone. I told them that, I want to get the right variety, and make sure it is Mali Chat. They said it is the flower that has 3 tier of petals. I will be getting it friday supposedly. They have'nt mailed it yet, and will be mailing tomorrow. I spoke to someone called Andy, and told him, I am calling to make sure as one of my friends did not get the right plant. He assured me it will be the right one. Will see. Will keep you updated Bunti..

o

Radha, the granduke supreme is now available at top. Are you ready to take another risk? :O)

Malichat is supposed to be my last purchase. But now I also want this Supreme plant. Hm. Lol.

o

Kemistry,
Call me insane..I did.
I went ahead even with what you posted.. the Lotus variety.. from Thailand.
Infact to compare, various so called Grandduke supremes and Malichats I am trying to get it from various sources to see if it is same plant or not.In this regard now, I have an Aloha mishap on its way, and i ordered from the Thai guy, a malichat, GDS and Malison,(the lotus variety).
Even Bunti offered to root me a plant of the so called GDS which she got from a chinese store.(I thank her for her generosity).

Since i was going to get one plant from Thailand and the postage was 30 $ i added the other 2. so will post pictures as they start to come.

o

Radha, no, not insane, you're just a bit enthusiastic.. hehe :o) Hm, that Malison variety shall be interesting. That seller has so many interesting plants, too.

Anyhow, I too, just made my order at Top's. Whew. :)

o

Do you guys think Mali Son is Grand Duke of Tuscany?

o

Hes, everybody! The GDS sounds very enticing, even tho a "small plant" from TT is very small indeed :). I'll have to think about it.

But I hope everyone will post pictures when all these wonderful jasmines arrive. I definitely hope to see all of them!

o

Mali Son is the Thai name for Grand Duke of Tuscany.

o
But..

But the term Mali Son might also be used as a general term for double types that look like Grand Duke. As it means something like "double jasmine."

o

Hi all, i have trouble uploading from my email to the site. so if you want to take look at the plants i am talking about, leave me your emails ..
1. Malichat pikul , i think is the same as Mali chat of Aloha supposedly..
2. Mali Pikul is the Lotus variety, that Kemistry posted.
3. Malison is the Grandduke supreme if i am not mistaken, looking at the flower picture sent to me.

o

here are the pictures that Radha forwarded to me:

Mali BhudhaChat, is that a sambac?

o

Thanks for the upload Kemistry..
Mali Buddhachat is Jasminum Molle as sold by TT, I think.
I think the last pic Malila is likely J. Maid of Orleans..(Why someone would name a Jasmine a Maid is beyond me!!!)And also I see a difference with J.Arabian nights and J.MoO..
regards..

o

Those are very beautiful, every one. Gorgeous! Thanks for taking the trouble to share.

My Mali Chat looks like the Mali Chat Pikul.

o

hi mehitabel, if yours looks like the Mali Chat Pikul then that's the correct plant. Good to hear, there's some hope in Aloha Tropicals after all :)

radha, I read somewhere that the term Maid of Orleans was referring to Joan of Arc.

I'm still in aw with the Malison, that's one deliciously-looking flower :))

o

Let me mention that there seems to be a lot of misnaming in Thai, as I've noticed on Thai websites. Here's a list of names that are for the most part standardized.

Mali Phutthachat (Buddhajat) - Jasminum auriculatum

Mali La - single varieties such as Maid of Orleans

Mali Son - Grand Duke of Tuscany, literally "double jasmine"

Mali La Son - a double variety, probably Grand Duke Supreme

Mali Chat - literally "parasol (chatra) jasmine" as seen on TT

Mali Phukul - literally "Mimusops elengi (bakul) jasmine," refers to the "lotus" variety as well being a synonymn for Mali Chat.

Now below are names that are not standardized yet. Reason I say is, I've seen them use to refer to different varieties among Thai sites.

Mali Mueang - refers to a variety that resebles Mysore Mulli or Logee's Flore Pleno in Northern Thailand

Mali Chantaboon - refers to Mysore Mulli and also I've seen it refer to another variety like that of Arabian Knights
Example: http://www.bloggang.com/mainblog.php?id=nulaw-08&month=18-04-2009&group=7&gblog=30

Mali Tord - initially, this what I used in Thai to search for the lotus variety and but some sites and blogs show different types of jasmine. I believe this is the more proper name for the lotus variety.

While the sambacs names are often used incorrectly, the Thai names for other Jasmine species is usually correct on Thai sites.

o

Sorry, bunti. Didn't see your request. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera, so have no photos.

o

I got mine today from Aloha, with buds.. will take photos and let you know as the flowers open up.

o

Here is the twig i got from Aloha.. Looks the same as Bunti's, but smaller..

Jasmine. Malichat from Aloha../oct..2010

Jasmine Malichat from Aloha

Jasmine Malichat

will post after they bloom.. either way , i decided not to bother with Aloha anymore. Maybe this is their perception of Mali chat..

o

Doesn't look anything like Mali chat. Thanks for the update Radha.

o

I can definitely say, its not mali chat. They have proper photo of mali chat on the Net. But the plants they are selling are different.

o

It is likely J. Arabian nights..
I did pull the flower apart. It has 2 good layers and the 3rd is the center, very small layer. Maybe Malichat is 4 layered flower. Oh well..

o

My order from Aloha came today. The jasmine is big, probably the same size as bunti's, came with buds. It is definitely not the Mali Chat.

I'm a bit annoyed and disappointed, but moving on. : )

o

Here's my (mislabeled) 'Mali Chat' from Aloha,

I'll keep it anyway since I like sambac.

o

for those you might be interested, TOP now has both the Mali chat and Arabian Nights in stock (along with Duke supreme!) :))

o

GAAH! Why does Top have to have the California restriction this year? It makes no sense to me.

o

Trust me, Musaboru, TT is doing you a favor. I got the GDsupreme, or so they say.. it has 4 leaves,( which were cut off halfway as they may have had some problem) and one internodal space. The whole length of it is 2 inches or less.. So please do not feel bad. I am not going to bother with them, as I know their customer service is just about nonexistent.. If this 2 inch thing survives, it will be a credit for my growing skills and none other. I will take photos and post succesively to see how this goes. I actually thought of ordering their Mali chat, but some how felt that I should wait to see what I am getting first. And I am happy that i did..

Aloha's 8 inch twig looks like a monster compared to what I have now..
Bottom line is, I will listen to my own advice and not order from both these nurseries in the future..

o

Hi, Radha. Yes, a three inch twig is what I got for $40 ordering artabotrys hexapetala in a "one gallon" size from TT. As you said, if it lives it will be a tribute to my growing skills.

Funny, tho, a Jasmine molle and a Grand Duke I bought early in August were nice sized.

I guess they only skimp on the rare ones.

o

wow that is suck to hear. I guess I'm a bit luck out, my supreme is about 7" tall. I'll post a picture later.

o

That does totally suck. Sorry to hear about that you all. :(

Last week I broke a off a 5 inch piece of GDoT and stuck it in a pot with another plant. I pulled it out today and noticed some roots already. I'm not a mass propagator, but it beats me to see that TT is sending you guys these tiny plants after you all have been waiting so long for GDS I'm sure. They must have only propagated them recently.

o

Once I have got Artabotrys & Jasminum Grand Duke Supreme for $60 each from TT. They are very tiny plants, and didn't servive. I have bought 2 Mysore mulli. Only one became mysore Mulli and other became Maid of orleans. I felt so bad about it. Their customer service is also very bad. Only few plants from TT are good.

I have got artabotrys from ebay. I have got nice size plant and now its doing very good. This year i had somany blooms too. I am very happy with my plant. In the 3rd photo you can see the flower too.

Photobucket
This is what i have got one year back.

Photobucket

Photobucket
This is what they are now.

o

Musa, my doctor, who is from Lebanon, roots her jasmines that way, so they must root pretty easily.

About the "one gallon" -- my guess is they buy four-inch pots of rare things and repot up to a gallon.

o

I would like to know if anyone has seen the Malichat flower before? And know the size of the flower.
If there is time log on to TT and click on the pictures of the plant , and not the single zoomed in flower..let me know what you think of the flower size..

BTW, the twig from TT is really 1 inch, and will post the picture soon. They posted a 6-7 inch plant on their plant size picture. I think Kem, you lucked out.

o

here's my $37 grand duke supreme from TOP's:

it's around 7", came with a big pile of soil. It looks like a newly rooted cutting, the roots are white and healthy so that's the good news.

o
ylang

bunti, is yours Artabotrys siamensis? How's the scent?

o

Kemistry,

Its artabotrys Siamensis. It smells very good. I can't describe the scent. But its really good. I do have artabotrys hexapetalus. Got it from Gardino nurseries. Its also a big plant but it didn't bloom this year. Hopfully it may bloom next year. I don't know the difference between these 2 varieties. I feel the plant structure looks different. Here is the photo of Hexapetulus.

Photobucket

Here is the grand duke supreme i got for $25+ tax. If anybody wants the plant contact me the next summer. If the local store has any availability i can buy and ship for you.

Photobucket

Leaves of Grand duke supreme looks like this.

Photobucket

New growth looks like this.
Photobucket

o

I think the unnamed variety that I own seems like Grandduke supreme variety.

o

Everyone..

Bunti - i read that A. hexapetalus is a better choice out of the Artabotrys. But from what you said about the Siamensis, I'll add both to my (near) future plant list. :)

Kandhi, that duke supreme's bloom is just too perfect!!! :)... i hope mine will bloom soon, but i'll wait patiently for it.

Oh Radha, have the jasmines from Thailand arrived? Looking forward to their pictures!!! :)

o

Kem,
got them, good size plants..will post them soon..

o

here's that 'mali chat' from Aloha, blooming for me today. The flower has a double tiered form:

does it resemble arabian night, mysore or plore plena to you? i wonder what cultivar this is.

o

Kemistry,

the flower looks like as you put one flower in another. I am glad that you got something different if not mali chat. It doesn't look like arabian nights or mysore mulli. My flore plena doesn't look like this. I wish my plants from aloha tropicals bloom like this.

o

bunti, it does look like two MOO flowers stacked ontop of each other.

The flower took 2 days to drop. On its first day, it looks like this:

Then on the second day, the flower becomes a double tiered form like in my previous post. The scent is mild, isn't as heady as Moo, but still a lovely sambac scent.

o

I have got 3 plants from aloha tropicals. None of them look like this. Flower looks very nice on first day. May be mine will bloom next summer like yours.

o

Hi Radhavall,

I'm a new member here. I was also looking at the offering from Thailand through ebay. Please post your comments when you receive the plants and how successful with the plants. I'm just worried, how the plants going to survive when shipped bareroot. Thanks.

o
for fragrant flower:

The plants I got from Thailand are large size plants. They had good roots and leaves. The roots were wrapped in sphagnaum moss. I got 3 plants from him..
This is the average size..

Photobucket

regards..

o

Hi Radha,

Your Malichat looks like a real good size. Thanks for posting a picture. The Malison you ordered from Thailand(on his ebay page the picture looks like GD of Tuscany), is it Grand duke supreme or Grand duke of Tuscany. If possible could you please post a picture of this plant.

Thanks.

o

here im posting a picture that have most of the jasmine the mali chat that i grow for sale is not the one you have in your picture (bunty) that to me looks like Mysore mulli , the maide of Orleans has less petals also (kemistry) your jasmine looks to me mysore mulli , i will post now what the malli chat looks like the flowers are smaller

o

and here is the mali chat is a very tiny flower :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here