Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in November!

Botaniphile,

Welcome back and congrats on your orchid spikes! Also thanks for reminding me it's a new month. ;)

Brugmansia 'Betty Marshall' is looking lovely with her white and green blooms and is making the backyard smell divine in the evenings plus the bees like her!

-Robert

Comments (38)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Can't believe my 'Dauben' water lily is still blooming!
    I should probably decide if I'm going to try and keep it over the winter or not.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I've been enjoying the scent of my 'Midnight Blue' petunias. Next year I hope to sow some old-fashioned vining but these are cheap and almost always available at the box stores. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

My Aglaia odorata is covered in blooms and buds. This is the one I got from Pepper's. I think I've trimmed and pinched it back to around 2 1/2'.
    Can't get enough of this scent. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

My Brunfelsia gigantea has been magnificient. Too bad it waited all season to do so!
    Still the arbor smells amazing day and night.
    I drag it under the arbor or into the garage when the nights are too cool.

Original Author
    10 years ago

My Brassavola nodosa orchid keeps blooming and blooming!
    Also the scent seems to have gotten stronger (or maybe I just have more blooms!).

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

Hehe. You're welcome! Gorgeous photos! Love that b. nodosa -- I want one sooo bad!

• beetle_2007
    10 years ago

I have a couple house plants in bloom, and some up and coming spikes on a very special phal orchid :)

here is oncidium Twinkle, both white, and red.... They smell like chocolate/vanilla

Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay! People are keeping this thread alive. :)

botaniphile,

You should get one. Super easy.

Beautiful flowers, beetle!

My Lonicera periclymenum 'Scentsation' has a few blooms. I have to step into the bed to sniff them but it's worth it.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Our Rosa 'Sombreuil' has been reblooming its tea scented gift to the garden. Of course mainly high up out of reach and the spotted cucumber beetles adore it as much as we do.

-Robert

• botaniphile
    10 years ago

I haven't had any blooms on my roses in a while. It's nice to see yours so I can look forward to what is (hopefully) coming soon, once the weather cools down a bit more.

Where did you get your b. nodosa? I can't find any in my area (although I haven't looked in a while, admittedly).

I'm on a no-buy right now, but maybe soon :)

• kemistry
    10 years ago

Hello Robert!!!! Yayy more blooms. I love love love your Brunfelsia. Mine is blooming too, ya, it does smell so good : )

The aglaia is blooming as well. Soooo pure is its scent.

here's my aglaia..
    {{gwi:812061}}

brunfelsia
    {{gwi:812062}}

lavender:
    {{gwi:812063}}

And how about this flower...
    {{gwi:812064}}
    technically that was an October bloom ;)

About my Rothmania.. sadly all 3 buds dried up. Oh well, there's still next year : )

This post was edited by kemistry on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 1:58

Original Author
    10 years ago

botaniphile,

I hope your weather cools down as well. It's a treat to sniff a fragrant rose in the fall. :)
    I checked eBay and there are several B. nodosa orchids available right now.

Kem,

Love all your pics! Your aglaia looks very graceful and of course I want to run my fingers through your lavender. :)

Sorry to hear about your Rothmannia buds. Don't you also have Randia ruiziana?
    I thought you did. I'm wondering if anyone has actually smelled this one. Now that I have T5 lights it's on my wishlist. ;)

-Robert

• strawchicago z5
    10 years ago

Hi Robert: I'm a sucker for fragrant plants. Thank you for posting great pics. My 5 neighbors spend $$$ chopping down trees ... they should had spent that money planting fragrant plants instead.

I post in Organic Roses Forum ... there are lots of fragrant roses ... some are thornless. Below is a link to bouquets of roses in Organic Roses Forum ... however, I still prefer fragrant plants .. they calm my spirit, and put me in heaven.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bouquets of no-spray & organic roses

• dl99
    10 years ago

Hello Friends,

These pictures bring much cheer to me. My Jasminum Mali pikul & Stephanotis are blooming,

the Belle of India and Mysore mulli are budding. it is so nice to see them.

Friends keep posting pictures for the enjoyment of fellow gardeners.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    10 years ago

Jasminum nitidum is just starting a round of blooms. Butterfly bush (Buddleia) and Lantana camara are still going strong. Brugs are doing their thing, but I have to go outside at night to smell that.

Original Author
    10 years ago

Strawberryhill,

You're welcome! I love fragrant roses. I just wish I could find good spots for them without wanting to dig them up and move them later. Laugh.

dl99,

Love the jasmines and stephanotis pics!
    I too hope people continue to keep this thread alive with awesome pics.

Purples,

Pics? ;)

My Cymbidium Chen's Ruby is starting to open its second flower spike (the one on the right) and this time it's opening inside under my T5 lights. Woo hoo!
    They are fragrant but still I can't wait to sniff them outside next year. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

I went down in the basement to water over the weekend and noticed my Jasminum molle is blooming under the lights! I feel bad for neglecting it.
    I'm going to try to shove it under the T5 lights in my bedroom but it's already very crowded. Laugh.
    Still it would be nice to smell the jasmine instead of the scent being wasted down in the basement.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

My newly purchased Tillandsia cyanea has finally bloomed!
    Its sweet clove scent even attracted a late season butterfly today!

-Robert

11/18/13 update - Woke up today and the flower has no scent. I'm assuming they're only fragrant the first day they open? Oh, well. It was nice while it lasted! :)

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 12:20

Original Author
    10 years ago

Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' is finally blooming!
    I love its citrus/lily scent (and so do the bees!).
    I bring it into the garage or basement when it gets too cold.

Original Author
    10 years ago

I scored a 2 gallon Lonicera periclymenum 'Peaches and Cream' at Home Depot for 10 bucks!
    I love its sweet scent and so do the bees. :)

Original Author
    10 years ago

My Jasminum grandiflorum 'Flora Plena' is still blooming away.
    Of course I have to bring it down into the basement when it gets too cold but so far it's worth all the bother to smell jasmine at this time of year. Still waiting for my single variety to bloom (it's a much smaller starter plant).

Original Author
    10 years ago

The bees have gone nuts for my minty scented Calamintha nepeta 'Montrose White'!
    I bought two more on sale today to plant in the spring for them.

Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly here's my impulse buy for the day, Gelsemium sempervirens. I love the soft baby powder scent of Carolina Jasmine.
    It was 10 bucks and loaded with blooms so I couldn't resist it at the nursery.
    I'll try to find room for it under my T5 lights in my bedroom and probably will plant it in the ground come spring but for now hopefully I'll be able to enjoy its scent most of the winter indoors. :)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

Great pics, robert you have so many blooms in November!!!
    I'm so jealous of the gelsemium and your big brassavola! My only jasmine blooming is officinale grandiflora.. I also killed my mysore mulli :''-(
    Kem cheer up for next year; I just sprouted one seed of rothmannia capensis, so I'll know of its scent in a decade or so! if it survives that is!
    Oh, well.. here are my november blooms btw
    Camellia sasanqua beatrice emily (smells like rosy tea!)

Plumeria cutting aztec gold not yet open but smells peachy!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Fenius,

Thanks! Cold weather is coming our way soon so the fun is almost over. ;)

So sorry to hear you killed your Jasminum sambac 'Mysore Mulli'. :(

I love your camellia! I always sniff the ones growing in our neighborhood when I'm out walking the dog and they're in bloom.
    Logee's has a few fragrant ones that I'm tempted by especially Camellia âÂÂScentuousâ which is supposed to be highly fragrant but of course they are evergreen and the ones I want are not cold hardy where I live so that means I have to either find a place for them inside or down in the basement under the lights.

Congrats on your Plumeria 'Aztec Gold'! I've always wanted to sniff one but I know how HUGE they can get. :)

My Jasminum grandiflorum from Pepper's Greenhouses (listed as JASMINUM OFFICINALE GRANDIFLORA - FRENCH PERFUME JASMINE on their site) finally bloomed but turned out to be the double variety which I already have. I'm still wanting to try the single variety some day.

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Not much is still blooming for me and I guess the same is true for most people since it's almost the end of November and this thread is dead.
    I did enjoy the scent of Osmanthus fragrans 'Fudingzhu' wafting every now and then yesterday on the kitchen counter getting some sun as I chopped vegetables for Thanksgiving. :)
    My tuberose is still coming along under the lights in the basement. I bring it up on sunny warm days. Maybe I'll have that to look forward to next month?
    I also have some flower spikes developing on a brassavola orchid hybrid and a couple of flower buds on a rooted gardenia cutting. Woo hoo!
    The Cymbidium Chen's Ruby is still in bloom and still has a scent though not as strong as earlier in the month. This plant is incredible!
    I'm hoping my Passiflora venusta might decide to bloom inside over the winter though I doubt it though you know us gardeners are perennial optimists when it comes to the plant kingdom. ;)

-R

• fenius
    10 years ago

Ok then, we have to keep November going!!
    I have these:
    My plum aztec gold is still blooming new flowers every day but as the days got cloudier & cloudier the scent diminished somewhat..

My gardenia kula cutting bloomed but I suspect it is not a tubifera kula but a gjellerupii.. this was the night it opened

and it immediately turned yellow next morning

Then I have oncidium ornithorhynchum smelling really sweet and looking like tiny tiny opera divas

and finally a new addition reineckia carnea, I bought it as fragrant but I can't detect any fragrance as far as I was able to stick my nose out in the cold... but then again it's supposed to bloom in april I don't know what's wrong there!

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hi all just wanted to say excellent photos everyone these have kept me going all novemeber since i have had nothing really in flower, lots of buds but no flowers :(
    Robert funny you should mention Camellia âÂÂScentuousâ i have a large one in a pot i have to bring in each year.
    I have had it for 3 years first year it flowered really well beautiful fragrance second year only a few flowers a lot of the buds droped off and this year full of buds again so fingers crossed lots of flowers :)
    If it does flower will be sure to take some pics

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hooray! This thread isn't dead yet!

Fenius,

Beautiful pics as usual! Love the gardenias and orchids or should I say 'opera divas'. ;)

I know what you mean about plants not cooperating when it comes to scent.
    Apparently my Tillandsia cyanea only has a scent when it's outside. Go figure!
    I sniffed some in the greenhouse at the nursery where I bought mine today and no scent.
    Mine had no scent either this morning until I brought it outside to get some late afternoon sun (it's currently 61 outside) and lo and behold the sucker has a delicious clove scent again!

Fragrant,

Sorry to hear about the bud blast on your 'Scentuous' Camelia. I do hope you get some blooms this year and share your pics with us! :)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Almost forgot.
    My Jasminum grandiflorum is starting to open its second bloom today so I get to sniff it and Cymbidium Chen's Ruby under the T5 lights in my bedroom. Woo hoo!

-R

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    10 years ago

amazing flowers guys! really love the chens ruby Robert. how is the scent compared to an arabian jasmine?

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

beautiful Robert :) i have yet to find Cymbidium Chen's Ruby in the uk but i will keep looking

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! You love to compare flower scent intensity to sambac jasmine. ;)
    I'll say half. It does waft a bit though.

Fragrant,

Sorry it's hard to find in the UK. Other good fragrant ones are Golden Elf and Maureen Carter. Good luck! :)

-R

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Hello everyone..No I did not croak incase anyone cares...But I just wanted to say hello and wish you all a nice season...

Beautiful pics everyone and once I get time, I'll post some..
    Welcome to December already, right?
    Time for a new one Robert:-)

Original Author
    10 years ago

Welcome back, Mike!
    Glad to see you're alive and kicking.

I've been snowbound and going crazy so I've started a December thread.
    Please add to it! :)

-Robert

• yaslan72
    10 years ago

Wow, I LOVe all your flowers, Robert. They are absolutely gorgeous and heavenly. I am especially a big fan of your water lily!

Fenius, you're so lucky to have plumeria blooms. Everytime you take a whiff of your beautiful flower, It must feel a bit like heaven.

Hi Mike and Kemistry :-)

Thank you all for sharing your beauties!

Bo

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, Bo!

I hope you share your beauties with us as well.
    We love pics on this forum! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

Thanks Bo!
    and welcome back mike ..to the december thread!