Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keyboarg

Looking to grow a fragrant plant indoors using lights and autopot

Keyboarg
11 years ago

Can someone recommend me something? I remember a long time ago growing something that smelled like skunk. It wasn't the fact that it smelled specifically like skunk but I liked the range and the strength of the smell. Something to replace fabreese Are their plants like that? thanks

Comments (8)

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I don't know any plants that smell like skunk, specifically ... but, there's enough skunks wandering my neighborhood in the evening ... that would love a warm place to stay. You sure you want a plant and not a pet? :D

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

I thought I've read Keyboarg's post wrong. I can't image someone likes the smell of skunk... I now know how limited I am...LOL.

What first come into my mind of a plant smells like skunk is skunk cabbage... grow wild in shaded and wet spot in wooded area.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

With some flowers I think the lack of heat and/or humidity can really turn their nice perfume into a skunk-like scent. : )

• Keyboarg
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks for the replies. Maybe I wasn't clear. I don't necessarily want the "skunk" smell. I just want something with a strong smell, as in the strength of the plant I grew. Meaning something noticably fragrant. It could smell like anything

• roseyd
    11 years ago

I think our sense of smell is very personalized. what's beautiful for one, may not work for another. I have a night jasmine which is very strong - but it's only that way at night. (but some people don't like them indoors because they are to fragrant).

there's some really nice smelling orchids (but I don't have any, so that would be someone else's advice...)

if you have a lot of room, there's plenty of flowering trees ...

a lot would depend on your location, how warm you keep your house, and what season plants bloom. there's not a lot of indoor plants blooming up north these days... even indoors.

• jason83
    11 years ago

Sounds like what you're looking to grow is really easy. Grows like a weed, in fact. Don't pay attention to all those other sites about growing these invasive suckers, and fall into their need for everything perfect, even down to the ppm of every molecule in the water.

:)

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

You might like Lantana which has a lot of scent in the flowers, and in the foliage when ruffled, pinched or snipped. The issue with counting on flowers for scent is that flowering plants do not always have flowers on them, and often require more light than is possible to give in many situations.

If scented foliage is also appealing, consider Pelargonium (scented Geraniums,) or Plectranthus, some of which have stronger foliage odors than others.

Herbs like Thyme, Oregano, Basil, Rosemary, and many others. May still be short-lived in insufficient light but flowers are not required for scent, inexpensive, most are easy to grow from seeds.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Keyboarg, Thanks for clarify what you are looking for. You want a waft scent that you don't have to put your nose closer to it in order to smell it... If this is the case, you have a lot to choose from. You may end up like some of us here... run out of room soon..LOL

I am not sure which zone you are in. But for me in zone 5 ,I would start with orchid... Sharry baby, Twinkle. Twinkle starts to bloom around Xmas till Jan. Sharry Baby blooms in Feb./Mar. Sharry baby can bloom for 1-2 months. Then Star Jasmine, mine blooms sometime in March-April, early spring. Jasmine Polyanthan. blooms in this time period too or earlier. After that, when the weather is warm, there are a lot more plants bloom .

But if you want some scent for the later fall early winter, you also can grow French Perfume Jasmine which is blooming none stop for me since Oct. My sweet olive is blooming this time of the year. If you get a FudingZhu, it will bloom every 2-3 months. Night Bloom Jasmine has very strong scent, it will bloom in fall till this time of the year ( mine is still blooming) perfume the house at night.

Also you can force some hyacinths or daffodils bulbs. Hyacinths has very strong fragrant . You will definitely notice its presents when it is in bloom...

OOh, there too many to list... I am sure others will chime in... Hope this help

Sponsored
Style Savvy Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Luxurious Interior Designer & Decorator