Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowers_galore

murrayya exotica minima, Kem..

flowers_galore
13 years ago

Kem,

I saw you saying this is very fragrant, and looks very nice.. Can you please tell me the source for this miniature?

regards..

Comments (7)

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Hi Radha, i got the plants from a trade with a member on DG last year.
    Search for "carpathiangirl" on Dave's Garden, GW doesn't allow me to direct link you to her profile page.

It's worth contacting her since I'm sure you both can work something out.

Or if you are willing to wait, I can send you some seeds when they are available. :)

• flowers_galore
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you kem...
    will wait..

Radha.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Kemistry, you said in another thread that the Logee's variety might be a dwarf also? How much possiblity do you think it is?

• kemistry
    13 years ago

Hi Musaboru, judging from mehitabel's description in another thread..

mehitabel wrote:
    "It was a small plant, about a 2" or 4" pot, and about 4" high, but it already had buds on it, and these bloomed within a few days. That was the first of August. It continued to grow, set buds and bloom right along. Right now it has buds on at least 6 different branches."

^sounds like the dwarf variety to me, since this plant is everblooming and will bloom on new growths (if it gets enough sunlight).

For me the scent is good, but it does get too sweet. If you like the smell of citrus blossoms, you'll like this Murraya. (It's a distant relative of citrus).

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    13 years ago

I am about 99% sure that what Logee's sells as Murraya paniculata is the dwarf variety. I have had mine for about two years and it is covered with buds and/or flowers for maybe about 11 months per year. Mine has no problem blooming in a partially shaded window (during this dreary time of year, partially shaded means maybe an hour of direct sun at best). Some people claim that Murraya will not bloom unless it is placed outdoors in summer or has full baking sun, but mine has had absolutely no trouble blooming while remaining indoors all year in a somewhat shaded window.

My plant is about 16-18 inches tall in a 9" clay pot. It seems more interested in growing horizontally than vertically and is currently a very attractive and healthy little shrub with an elegant form. Almost every new growth ends in a flower cluster which will produce waves of blossoms off and on during a several month period. In fact, I think my plant blooms so much that it actually hampers the growth.

That said, this is a great houseplant but it is not perfect. What are some of its negative points (to me)? First, the individual flowers last only a day or two at best and quickly shatter and drop petals on the windowsill and floor which are difficult to sweep up. Second, to my nose, it has a rather coarse fragrance. While it superficially smells like citrus blossoms, it has something underneath that can make your nose "tingle" when large amounts of blooms are open. I am happiest when only 2, 3, 4 or 5 blooms are open at any one time, since it can otherwise be overpowering. The fragrance wafts and will spread to every corner of the room, regardless of temperatures or humidity levels. I can smell one tiny blossom about 20 feet away.

To give a fragrance comparison, if my Magnolia alba or Jasminum sambac have a wave of flowers and send their scents traveling, I would be very happy indeed. Both of these, to my nose, are pure and refreshing fragrances. Murraya paniculata, on the other hand, is cloying and intense. I imagine that people with highly sensitive noses would want to avoid it.

Still, this plant is very easy to care for and I have no plans to get rid of it in the near or distant future. While it does not have the best houseplant fragrance to my nose, it certainly doesn't have the worst either.

Hope this helps.

• kemistry
    13 years ago

I agree with the course fragrance comment. If giving a choice between the Murraya and Aglaia odorata, I would recommend the Aglaia.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

If there's anything worse than Cestrum nocturnum to my nose, it is the scent of Agapanthus. It makes me very nauseous and I want to barf. What sucks is that in California, these things are planted everywhere and even on the islands in the middle of a street I can smell them. It does give me a "tingly" feeling in my nose...I hope the Murraya doesn't end up like that. I do love the smell of citrus blossoms though.

Thanks for the input guys.