Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowers_galore

Osamanthus fragrans Fudingzu

flowers_galore
13 years ago

I posted it under burnt leaf heading..

but want to let you all know, i think it is very similar to smell of henna..slightly spicy. i dont know how it will be if it is a large plant though...

Comments (11)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Such a lot of flowers for a tiny thing! That's what mine did that I had several years ago. This years got quite big since March, but very few flowers. I wonder if I got the wrong variety by mistake.

Brown tips on leaves = too dry evenfora couple of weeks.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Congratulations!! That is so pretty! You will love it..I did loose a few in the past until I got the soils mix and watering just right..
    Did you get that plant from Logee's? What kind of mix is it in?

The reason why I ask is because these can be easy to kill, or get leaf burnt margins, or drop leaves from a lack of moisture, although your mix will still be wet..

They ABSOLUTELY require a mix that is very free draining and porous yet stays moist..Th roots will stay a lot healthier this way helping avoid the drown tips you have and grow rather more quickly and robust with the chance of many more flowers..

Beautiful..I definitely love this plant..I have 4..

Mike

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

My Fudingzu got quite big without blooming, unlike the previous one I had, which bloomed the first summer. Just one season, but maybe 2 feet tall.

Left it outside through light frosts til the real cold came, then brought it inside. Since coming into the warmth, it has buds forming and flowers opening all over. Wonderful surprise!

This is a wonderful plant, and a real grower. Mike is right-- give it a wellt draining mix, but plenty of water. Don't let it dry out completely. Getting too dry makes leaves turn brown at the tips and drop off.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Another update on the Fudingzu. The plant has flower clusters from top to toe, and in a few places new growth starting. It is in a south window with the orchids, about 2' from the window (can't get it closer), in a warmish room.

Every morning when I go into that room, it is full of the scent of Osmanthus. Lovely!

It's going back outside as soon as the temperatures here allow, hopefully mid Feb. Books say osmanthus can take temps down into the teens, so as long as we're safely in the 20's at night, it can stay out.

• mrlike2u
    13 years ago

By plant size I'd be a bit more apprehensive on the book colder temp suggestion of 20's and aim for stable 30's.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Thanks for the tip, Mr Like.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

And that is conservative..

Mehitabel: I would not let them be exposed to temps lower than the 40's more than one time here or there.
    Big full grown trees with roots deeply entrenched into the soil might fare better, and better yet, many people I know have to cover the trunk area for just the few frigid days they get with lots of mulch or hay to protect the roots for even mature plants.
    Not to say also you will stunt, slow down the growth of your tree to take forever to get of any size if you are looking for this.

I hope your plants keeps going well for you. Someone here has mentioned SALT as a culprit and I must admit, I remember having this same problem at one time also due to the same issue. Good observation!

Mike

• bahia
    13 years ago

Osmanthus fragrans in the ground is perfectly hardy to high 20'sF temperatures, and the blooms are unfazed here in northern California when it dips down near freezing in December/January. Small plants in pots, or plants used to indoor conditions will not be nearly so hardy to cold. They can get tree sized at maturity, and a 10 year old plant in a client's garden is already 15 feet tall, and smells heavenly this time of year.

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

My Fudingzu in the ground saw low 10s F weather for several days last winter in Dallas area. I didn't see any damage. It's about 2 feet tall?

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

I think the ground is much different in the south than in the more north climates, no?

One would think the ground down south radiates more heat from the warmth of the still warm sun down there than others states?

Not sure, but the fact that your 2foot tree can survive those temps for days without protection is in itself nothing short of a miracle..Wow..

Mike..:-)

• lou_spicewood_tx
    13 years ago

Mike, I just remembered about a foot of snow within 24 hours. That may have protected the plant. It rarely ever gets below 20 degrees here. Once every few years or so. To tell you the truth, I thought it was a goner after that hard freeze but I guess not. :)

By the way, I won that osmanthus book from China on ebay and should be receiving it soon. If you want some info about certain cultivars, let me know!

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?