Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in November!

Had to bring everything inside since it got really cold last night.
Currently Cymbidium 'Chen's Ruby' has a strong scent even inside. I'm impressed.
Looking forward to others thoughts on this plant and what's blooming for you! :)

-Robert

Comments (25)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The last Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' bloom of the year.
    I cut back the jasmines today but of course had to leave this cutie to sniff. :)

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, great pictures, like usual.

How much do you cut your Jasmine? Or to put it more clearly how much of it is left ;-)

Mine is currently 2 feet tall :-)

• Lars
    9 years ago

All of my citrus trees are blooming, and they are especially fragrant at night. Also, my Queen of the Night is still blooming, and I brought this one in, which is very fragrant, but only blooms at night, which is why I bring it in. Most of the ones I have are too large to bring inside, and the largest one is on my front porch/stoop.

Original Author
    9 years ago

True Blue, Thanks!
    I usually whack the jasmines back to 2 or 3 feet. I don't have a measuring stick when I do it. I just try to judge what looks best while I'm trimming. :)

Publickman, Wish I could smell the citrus trees! I love their scent.
    Gorgeous epiphyllum! I've always wanted one but don't have the room inside to care for them during the winter.

Thanks for sharing your pic with us!

-Robert

• charlottelily
    9 years ago

My osmanthus aurantiacus finally bloomed this year for the first time! So excited to see and smell it:)
    This photo is from a couple of weeks ago as the heavy rains took the remaining blooms off.
    Meanwhile a small 'Nanjing Beauty' just planted this spring is still blooming.

Maggie

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert for the info.

Lovely photos, publick and Maggie...

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Robert.Just amazing buddy!!

How did you treat your Ruby Cinbidium? What can I do to get mine to bloom? Did you leave it in a greenhouse, outside, exposed to cold? Lots of sunlight?..Any detail or direction from you would be appreciated since I just recieved one the other day..Thanks a bunch)

You all have such amazing abilities to make all your flowers look so beautiful ..Thaks for sharing everyone)

MIke

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Nov 4, 14 at 17:50

Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful Osmanthus, Maggie!

Mike, I grew it outside when it was warm enough in the spring. I mix Dynamite Orchids & Bromeliads slow release fertilizer into the potting medium and use Better-Gro Orchid Plus fertilizer maybe once or twice a month but I stopped fertilizing maybe a month or two ago?
    It receives full to dappled morning sun then dappled afternoon sun and no sun in the evenings due to where it is located. I do bring this one in on cool nights since it's a warm growing cymbidium so it hasn't been outside much lately.

I noticed another flower spike the other day so I have no idea how long it will take to bloom with the reduced light it has been receiving inside since it's been cool outside.

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 10:55

Original Author
    9 years ago

Found a bloom on my Passiflora 'Preciosa' this morning!
    Can't believe how determined this plant is to bloom despite how cold it has been.
    I guess it's tougher than I thought!

Sniffed it and it still has its spicy clove like scent though the scent is not as strong since it was in the forties this morning.

-Robert

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Gorgeous photos everyone!
    Here's my oncidium Sharry baby. Very strong and sweet
    Lives in the kitchen where I don't mind it's vanillin scent.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Wed, Nov 12, 14 at 2:12

Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay! More pics!

I had almost forgotten about this thread with the dreadful cold we've been experiencing.

My Viola odorata 'Duchesse de Parme' (sweet violet) is starting to really come into bloom.
    I don't know how long it will last since I'm not able to give it cool nights since our nights are now in the 20's and even lower!
    Guess I could try to bring it down into the basement at night but that's an awful lot of work.
    I'll probably just sniff the blooms I have and be grateful and continue to try to grow it inside though I've no space left!
    Doesn't waft but does have a scent if you stick your nose to it. :)

-Robert

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Nice 'Preciosa', Robert! The pendant flowering Passifloras always intrigue me. Sometimes the scent on certain varieties can be a bit harsh, though.
    The always blooming 'Purple Haze'
    (Photo from earlier in the year)

The amazingly cupcake scented Montana grandiflora

Tree jockey's (Dermatobotrys saundersii) flowers are only scented when brushed, like lemon pledge. The foliage is stinky though, like Melianthus on crack.

'Meyer' lemon is also blooming again, lightly. And Cestrum parquii has been going at it all summer. Brugmansia 'Charles Grimaldi' is just now starting over after having been fried in a heatwave. Other than that, not much else is happening in the bloom department, but everything is starting to green up again.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Remember when I posted my dendrobium wawaran? I was very disappointed in how lousy the form was this blooming.
    Turns it just needed some time.
    Light powdery vanilla type scent.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Thu, Nov 13, 14 at 5:03

Original Author
    9 years ago

Interesting flowers, Northbay!
    How's the scent on 'Purple Haze'? I looked online and some say slight to heavy. Who knows? ;)

Gorgeous orchid, Ordphien!

Went down to the basement on my lunch break to water and bring a few things up like the Jasminum grandiflorum and noticed one flower which I quickly sniffed.
    Gotta take what I can get since it's finally above freezing today. :)

-Robert

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Beautiful Jasmine. I don't own enough Jasmine.

One of my Cymbidium is in double spike.
    It's a standard, but most of my standard Cymbidium have lovely scents.
    Can't wait for the flowers.

• ordphien
    9 years ago

Beautiful Jasmine. I don't own enough Jasmine.

One of my Cymbidium is in double spike.
    It's a standard, but most of my standard Cymbidium have lovely scents.
    Can't wait for the flowers.

{{!gwi}}

• northbay12
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert! Same to you... I would say heavy when it is warm out, definitely heavy with a grape soda overtone. Not my favorite, but definitely interesting.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Another blooming because I bought it blooming! ; )
    Found an orchid cactus (that's all the tag said) that's fragrant and smells like citrus blooms. I looked online and it might be Epiphyllum 'Fruhlings Gold'.

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

So beautiful everyone!!!

Been caring for my Mom and been tired..

Robert...Please, how often did you water your warm growing Cymbidium...? I can't get mine to flower..I've tried everything except fertilizer...Maybe that is what is missing?
    I wish mine would do something((((

Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Mike!

I'm sorry about your mom. I hope she gets better soon so you can get some rest! :)

I watered my Cymbidium 'Chen's Ruby' daily in the summer but mine is in a coarse mix which is mostly Fertilome orchid mix with some added volcanic rock and fired clay pellets. Now that it's inside I water maybe once a week or so?
    I do suggest fertilizer but if yours is no longer actively growing I would wait until spring and then mix in some Dynamite Orchids & Bromeliads slow release fertilizer into the potting medium.

Good luck and I hope yours blooms next year!

I've been watching the second flower spike develop on mine under a compact fluorescent bulb inside. :)

-Robert

• meyermike_1micha
    9 years ago

Ordphien..Do you have a most recent pic of that DEndrobium? I would love to see how much bigger it greew since 2012..If it's a grower, I'd love to get one!))

Roberts, thanks a bunch again and for your kinds words..Much appreciated...

I will see what else I can do...I am guessing it does not need a dry and cold time? Does yours need that or do you just grow it like any other plants, or tropical?
    That's what is most confusing to me..Does it need to be subjected to cold or a dry spell to bud formation?
    Please share with me..This can put my mind at ease)))

MIke

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha Mike. You're full of questions, aren't you? ;)

I did not subject it to any cold or dry spells other than it going into the house during the winter which is around 65 and being watered less.

We've already established you didn't fertilize yours so we can mark that off the list but you still haven't given us much info on your plant.
    Maybe it's too small to bloom yet? How large is yours?
    How much sun/light did you give it during the growing season? How much light is it getting now?
    How warm is its current location? Maybe you're keeping it too cold?
    I could ask you endless questions. Laugh.

Mine got plenty of dappled sun during its time outside and is now under a compact fluorescent 24/7 inside.

Speaking of plants under 24/7 lights I went down to the basement this morning to bring up the Jasminum grandiflorum and noticed a beautiful lone bloom on the Brunfelsia gigantea. Love that plant but sure wish it was smaller. :)

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

Robert, you could have posted that lovely flower in Blooming in December ;-)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha! I forgot to start a new thread!

Guess I'm getting old and forgetful. ;)

-Robert

• true_blue
    9 years ago

That's one way of seeing it :-)