Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night Blooming Jasmine

Posted by pennycp Z6 SE Penna (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 7, 05 at 10:29

My night blooming jamsine got hit with a light frost. It's leaves have either fallen off, or look yellow and like they will fall off soon. Can I save this plant? It's in a big pot, so I brought it into the basement, but now I don't know what to do with it. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night Blooming Jasmine

It may recover. I'd give it the optimum growing conditions and wait.

o

My guess would be a "light frost" -- 30 or 31F will not kill it. It will probably come back.

Keep it on the dry side while it is defoliated. In fact, dryish is better for winter, but don't let it get really dry. That may kill it. Keep it just a little big moist.

I would put it in the sunniest window you have (if you can stand the ugliness), and wait for it to re-sprout. Misting it with dilute fertilizer all along the stems often will help a plant sprout.

It may wait until the days start getting longer in Feb-March, but my guess is that it will resprout sooner if it's kept in the light. If you decide to keep it in the basement, keep it even drier, and check it every couple of weeks for sprouts, then bring it into the light gradually as soon as it shows sprouts.

o

I agree with the above poster.
This is scary, but you can also cut it back, then place in a bright window..I wouldn't fertilize just yet, or if you do use very diluted, higher in nitrogen. The object now is to get leaves to sprout before worrying about flowers..after your plant has grown in, continue with your regular feeding program.

o

I brought it into the basement and put it near the doors so it would get as much sunlight as possible, and guess what!!! it's starting to sprout new leaves along the old stems. I'm going to wait and see how far up the stems the sprouts appear and then trim each one back to that height. I'm going to try spraying with fertilizer to see what happens.
Thanks for the advice! I really love this plant - would hate to lose it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here