Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New tropical magnolia cultivars

Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 10:34

There is a certain time of the year (used to be earlier before global warming, but these days seems to be early November in Brooklyn) when the first hard freeze date hits the weather forecast, and the obsessed, er, intrepid gardener is forced to deal with the large number of plants she/he bought during the growing season that aren't winter hardy.

What do I save? What do I have room for indoors? And most importantly, there's this new plant (plants) that I just gotta have; never mind that I don't have room for them, can't afford them, and my spouse/partner/family is going to kill me if I bring another plant into the house!

This year, the objects of obsession are some of the newer hybrids and cultivars of magnolia champaca that are coming out of Thailand. Anyone growing magnolia rajaniana, Sinuan or other champaca varieties? Indoors or out? Potted or planted? I doubt I'll chance ordering one during cold weather, but it gives me something to look forward to!

thanks!

jim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New tropical magnolia cultivars

Hi
Heck , I live in 10 florida but still have a dozen or so plants that can't take below 50. !! Worse I have several that require cool/cold rest periods though I have made progress I no longer try to grow high altitude tropicals lol Why do gardeners do this??lol
can't help with magnolia as the only one I grow is "Little gem" and thats in a pot . Another choice on the edge as they do far better with cool rest periods though I do get a few flowers but not the glorious displays of the deep south ,scattered over much of the year.
if you come up with a cure for" zone stretching" please share I know i could use a good dose of it!! lol gary

o

I bought atleast 3 magnolia cultivars from Cistus nursery 3 years ago. They did well for 2 years when it had mild winter in South Florida. Two just died, and the other is just hanging on. M. Champaka on the other hand is a huge tree for me as is M. alba. M. Figo skinneriana does very well for me. M. Coco blooms and Taluoma candolii does well for me here. So I have given up trying to grow others although I am still interested in Magnolias. If you find any that are heat tolerant please let me know.

Thx.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 15:07

Yes: Cistus is in the Willamette Valley so before buying from them it should be checked to see if a given item is suitable for Florida pests, soils and summers etc. - there will be a lot of plants they can grow that are not adapted to Zone 10 parts of Florida.

And vice versa.

Indoors in NY you will probably have to rig up a special growing area that is brighter and more humid than the rest of your rooms will be during the winter.

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Dec 27, 13 at 15:09

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here