Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
HELP- cinnamomum leaves turning brown

Posted by Gengis z5a (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 11:17

Hi all,

the tips of the leaves on my Cinnamomum Zeylanicum are turning dark brown, then the brown areas progress until the leaves fall one by one. I haven't changed any parameter (water, nutrients, sun exposure, ...). There are no obvious insects.

What could be the problem? Virus? root rot?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HELP- cinnamomum leaves turning brown

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 10, 05 at 14:09

Gengis,

Is this under artificial lights? Even if you haven't changed the exposure, if it's only getting natural sunlight, it's getting much less now than it did in July -- some leaf fall is a natural response to this. If it's indoors, the humidity is probably dropping too, so this may be the cause of leaf browning; using a pebble tray, humidifier, or other way to increase humidity will definitely help. Remember, this is a tropical tree, and northern houses are not even close to the same conditions!

Finally, if it was outdoors during the summer, and indoors now, expect some leaf fall as it reacts to the change in environment. If it's still outside, bring it in! The literature may say it can survive short frosts, but you likely have a young tree in a pot, right? It needs protection!

Good luck with it!

Jim

PS, "No obvious insects" doesn't rule out hidden ones -- check the undersides of leaves and new shoots for tiny webs (spider mites) and ease back on the watering schedule -- it won't be growing as much now, and too much water can lead to root rot.

o
RE: HELP- cinnamomum leaves turning brown

Thanks Jim,

don't worry, my tree was brought indoors. I'll try to increase the humidity and lighting. I really don't see any insects, but I can't rule-out a viral infection.

Thanks for you help

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here