Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Millingtonia hortensis

I see that Logee's has Millingtonia hortensis on sale for $19.95 through an email special right now.

I've got mine shoved under some lights in the basement.
It's dropping lower leaves so I'm hoping it makes it through the winter okay.

Mine never bloomed during the summer so fingers crossed it makes it through the winter in the basement and finally blooms next summer.

Has anyone gotten this plant to bloom for them?
If so thoughts on its scent? Is it worth growing?

Thanks!

-Robert

Comments (8)

• xpfeng
    9 years ago

I donot have this one, but just want give you an update on my Fodingzhu, three weeks after my post, she went to heaven with her other siblings that I killed in the past. however, one week before she was gone, I ordered another two pots of regular sweet olives, because I couldnot find this species online. when I potted the two new plants, I was really surprised to find there are three small plants in each pot, so I got six out of the two plants. This time I used the 5-1-1 mix which I just learned from here, it has been 16days after I potted them, no shock at all, flower buds begin growing bigger and bigger, should be able to get a good sniff within a week. Now I really think the reason for my past kills is due to the bad MG potting mix I used, not because of my thumbs, right? I feel so good for the windy frozen winter.
    meanwhile, I ordered a Aglaia odorata (which I just killed when I moved it indoors due to same reason I guess) and a Calamondin Orange from Logee's couple days when they have the 20% discount, but probably I will get them shipped in the spring. I also ordered a Mysore Mulli from TT weeks ago, but they put the shipping on hold now.
    I think using 5-1-1 mix will become a milestone to make my thumbs greener!

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is excellent news, xpfeng!
    Yes. Learning how to make the 5:1:1 on GW has made many of my plants thrive. I normally tilt my pots to the side after watering just to ensure the perched water level is drained.
    I highly suggest using Dynamite all purpose slow release fertilizer in your potting mix as well. :)

-Robert

• xpfeng
    9 years ago

your suggestion is really really bad! I generally put my work place for shipping and several of my coworkers knew I have killed so many sweet olives but I am still addictive to her winter bloom and smell. this time when people saw me opened the package, they reacted so differently: some said the smell is so great, like in heaven, no wonder I am so additive; some said maybe I should change my hobby now by killing so many already with the money spent; others like you told me put boiling water in it to keep alive. anyway, I am gonna show them and you a colour this time!

Original Author
    9 years ago

? Are you saying I suggested putting boiling water on your plants? That would not be wise.

Anyway I'm glad you haven't given up. GW has helped me grow so many plants thanks to others sharing their knowledge on this site. :)

I hope someone who has actually sniffed Millingtonia hortensis will share their thoughts on its scent.

-Robert

• xpfeng
    9 years ago

sorry, Robert, there is a misunderstanding here, I did not know there is a commercial name "Dynamite" for fertilizer, look what Wiki says about it: "Dynamite is an explosive material", so I thought you were joking with me, LOL! Learn new things everyday. hope someone can tell you the scent you want to know.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Haha. Too funny. I apologize for not making myself clearer.
    No. Blowing up your plants is never advisable...unless you're sick of them. Laugh.

I like Dynamite, the slow release fertilizer, since it has complete nutrients including calcium and feeds for up to 9 months.

I get mine off Amazon. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Dynamite fertlizer

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you!

Mine looks horrible and has dropped most of its lower leaves but has begun to sprout new ones. It's about 46 inches tall. Really hope it blooms this summer if it makes it that long. :)