Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in November!

Well...someone had to start a new thread! ;)

Oncidium Heaven Scent 'Sweet Baby' finally bloomed! Smells like chocolate. Not so fond of it. I mean I love eating chocolate. It's my favorite for dessert but when it comes to the scent of flowers not so much. That's the beauty of the plant world. There are so many plants that surely there's enough for everyone! :)

The flowers themselves are gorgeous to look at though.

-Robert

Comments (45)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Brassavola nodosa! Just opened last night. It's already started putting out scent. Sort of reminds me of Nicotiana alata. Hoping the scent will be become more pronounced as the nights go on. Course more humidity would help. :)

-Robert

Original Author
    11 years ago

Plumeria 'Phet Pachara' continues to pump out its perfume sweet blooms. :)

-R

Original Author
    11 years ago

White butterfly ginger continues pumping out blooms (Hedychium coronarium). Smells lovely.

-R

Original Author
    11 years ago

And last but not least good old Aglaia odorata (Chinese Perfume Plant) is pumping out blooms in the late fall sun filtering through the windows. Love its delicate but delightful scent.

-Robert

• kemistry
    11 years ago

That's awesome! My Aglaia is full of buds but since we (the plant and I) haven't seen the sun for many days now I hope the buds wont get dropped like they did last year. I love this plant. : )

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Robert, it looks like the sun shines on Ok earlier than it does in IL. My Sharry Baby is still in spikes... really long spikes. I can't wait for it to bloom... Both my B. nodosa has not bloomed yet. Don't know how long it takes but it is nice to see the shape of the flower and description of its fragrance... I remember I read somewhere describe it smells like coconut+citrus, Is there any hint of coconut scent at all??
    My Brug. continue bloom, more flowers... when it only has one flower open, we can smell it from the kitchen ( it is in the dinning room next door). It smell like spicy ginger. This past weekend , it had 7 flowers all in full bloom, we try to avoid going to the kitchen... The scent is so strong, we can smell it upstairs, down stair.. It seems it just follows us where ever we go. We are trying to decide to move it in the basement, let it goes to sleep or live with its powerful scent...

Not many new blooms in my house at this time of the year. One of my Jasmine just bloomed the first time. this one is the real Nov. bloom.

Kemistry, did you Brug. bloom yet?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Kemistry,

I have another friend in Portland who said the sun set before 5pm yesterday! :(
    If your lack of sunshine continues you may need some T5 lights! :)

OG,

I'm not good with scent descriptions but personally I don't detect any coconut. It's more of a spicy scent. I've added a link where one user says it has hints of bacon scent!

So you don't know the name of your brug cultivar? Spicy ginger sounds nice to me! Of course I sniff them outside and inside things would be different. :)

Is your jasmine Jasminum tortuosum? If so what do you think about its scent?

I'm happy that I'm finally getting over my plumie obsession and collecting fragrant plants from all genera again!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Brassavola nodosa scent description

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Robert, hint of Bacon, uhmm yummy... It just increased my appetite for more plants... plus medicine scent... great! it smells so sanitized and clean, I even don't have to confess my dirty sin of wanting more. I will love to smell its bloom with my own nose.

Yes, unfortunately, I don't know the name of my Brugs. I think it is more of outdoor plant than indoor plant.... When the heating is on, not much air exchange with outside, the scent just circulating every room... can't bear its scent...

Right on, Robert. It is the J. Tortuosum... from my first batch of confessed sin three months ago... I grow it right next to the French Perfume. The french perfume has so strong floral scent, the Tortuosum smelled much weaker but less floral. It smelled a lot like the tree jasmine I smelled briefly. Of course, my opinion might change if I smell large Qty of flowers... The french perfume flowers only last a day or two, I hope Tortuosum flowers can last a bit longer.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Hey, wait up everyone!lol

First off I must say AMAZING plants! Annie, we need to talk real soon again. I have to find out where you got that white flowering Orchid! I will search high and low for that one. That is teh one Orchid I do not have, a white blooming fragrant one:-)

Robert, great idea! Your plants are beautiful and must smell sooooo good. I finally got to whiff a Brug plant at a local Nursery. The flowers were a pale orange. It was quite different. I like it.

I will be back with some of mine soon. As soon as I get a chance, I will share too:-)

Hello Kemistry!

LOVE LOVE LOVE white fragrant flowers!

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Annie, I just tried to call you. I hope you are ok:-)

Call me later before 8 pm my time, ok. I would of told you in e-mail but I don't have access to it.

Mike

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Lovely pic of that jasmine OG!

Yes, my brug did bloom last week. It was so fragrant! But I couldn't stand the smell so I had to remove the bloom. It had a medicinal, bitter scent that really annoyed my nose. Lol. Maybe next Summer with the heat it'll smell sweeter. : )

Have both of your telosma cordata arrived yet Robert & Mike? I bought a dwarf Ylang from T0pTropical last week and they shipped it today. It'll be here this week. Yayy.

But here's my Telosma: :_)

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Kemistry, I did and it's already dying!

Every leaf has turned yellow and fallen off. I am so upset.

I hope it is just a common thing for them to drop from shock and come back again on bare stems. Keep your fingers crossed for me. will ya?

Original Author
    11 years ago

My Telosma cordata has lost a couple of older, larger leaves as well, Mike. I wouldn't be too worried about it as long as you've got it in a fast draining mix and keeping it lightly moist but not soggy. Maybe grow it under some lights at night as well?
    Really hoping it will bloom for all of us next summer! :)
    Kemistry, yours looks awesome!

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Guys, I must say you guys synchronized so well...all have the Telosma except me... I must protest there is some kind of conspiracy going on here...I can't stand I am the only one without it... LOL. Are you all got it from logees??

Kemistry, my Philippians neighbor talked a lot about YlangYlang they have back home. Is the dwarf Ylang the same Ylang just grafted onto dwarf root stock or is a different plant? I have heard vine YlangYlang too. How do you compare the dwarf Ylang and vine Ylang in term of its fragrance and easy care of the plant?

medicinal, bitter scent of your Brug. My mom stopped by this past weekend and saw my brug. She said it is used as medicine. One of our relatives smoke it regularly to help his asthma.

Mike, sorry, I was out on parents duty of helping school's band uniforms last night. I will call you early this afternoon. Tonight, I am going to watch election and may be drunk afterwards.

Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi OG!

Mike and I got ours from eBay.
    I added the link below for you.
    I've had mine growing in a sunny window in a fast draining mix. I hope Mike's recovers!

Brugs can be highly poisonous. I hope your relative doesn't smoke too much!

Your comment about being drunk after the elections made me laugh. I'm sure lots of us will be drinking tonight. :)

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: eBay Telosma cordata seller

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well hello everyone! I am stuck here at teh Apple store waiting for a new face glass for my iPhone..What a pain..Oops..Gotta go

• sam89
    11 years ago

It is rare that weather is so warm this time. My ginger flower just started to bud out today. I'm so happy today !

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

ooh Robert, Thank yo so much...You have soft spot on your heart. you know my pain of being left out. kemistry was talking about getting Telosma, I did not you and Mike get one too.

Mike, that is a rotten Apple, i say. Mine still hold less than 2 hours of battery. I have to give up the whole phone, can't just change battery... Apple's case can't be opened...I am going to change to droid next.

Sam, what are you talking about being warm in zone 10!!!. you are supposed to be warmer there.. I wish I have your temperature. we are down to 20s at night.... Killed all my tomatoes.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

AAh ginger.. I wish I can grow those plants *someday* : )

OG - dwarf ylang is supposed to have a mild fragrance comparing to the regular tree. Some reviewers said theirs have no scent while others say there is a scent but mild. And then there are some others who say there are two type of dwarfs, a single bloom and a double-bloom, where db has a much sweeter scent than sb.

I have no idea about the vine ylang, mine hasn't bloomed yet but I heard that it has an awesomely strong scent. : )

Lol. Now it's your turn to get yourself a telosma! ;)

Mike - I hope yours will come back. My first telosma - which I bought from Logees also - did lose all its leaves during the Winter. Then I got impatient and threw it out.

Robert - your telosma looks awesome as well! : )

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Ok everyone! I am pooped now and wanted to post you a picture of my Telosma, and I sure will tomorrow even though I am

{{gwi:812676}}

about it!

Have a good sleep Kemistry, Annie, Robert and everyone else!

Mike

• mrao77
    11 years ago

Aaah! You folks are awesome..fragrants blooming in Nov! wow!
    I wish TX weather ( at least here in Dallas)would decide it is wants to stay warm or go cold. I am heaving plants in and out and poor back is complaining! We had 30s overnight over the weekend and 80s today!

Robert, do you leave your ginger in the ground over the winter or dig it up?

Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been doing the same thing...in out in out. It never ceases. :)
    So where are the pics of your blooming beauties in Dallas? ;)

As for my ginger I plan on leaving part of it in the ground (it's cold hardy here, I've seen it blooming in the ground nearby) and digging parts of it up to store down in the basement.

Work never stops! Laugh.

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

mrao, we are in zone5 even showed some blooming flowers, what about folks in zone 7? I bet a lot more are still blooming down there.

Oh, I am glad my back pain days finally over, almost over for this year... only left few trench to dig to bury my fig tree this weekend...

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Well everyone, here is my sad and pathetic plant..lol I hope it survives or that will be a waste of 20 bucks and a sin I've done in vain.

{{gwi:812677}}

• roseyd
    11 years ago

Mike don't give up on that one - even though it looks a little pathetic - I think it might just be in transplant shock ... look at the woody growth and the bit o' green at the top - it'll bounce back and be lush - just give it enough light, and treat as you would your other plants.

my honeysuckle - dropped every leaf and it seemed like I was watering a twig - a few weeks later and it was leafing up again. You just got to be patient.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Came home after week long training. My Night Bloom Jasmine is flowering... Thanks Kemistry and Robert for helping identifying the flower buds. The window is all closed now. Its scent is just can't be missed...powerful but luckily, we like it.
    My Sweet Olive starts blooming too. One of my favorite. Both are going to add some scent to the upcoming holiday.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Congrats OG! I really like the smell of Sweet Olive but I just can't keep one happy.

My brunfelsia gigantea is blooming again. Jasmine Belle is trying to put out buds too but the flowers are smaller than normal. The many buds of the Aglaia are still there. Poor Brugmansia charles grimaldi is still trying to bloom. Lol.

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Hi, Kemistry, I am jealous. one of these days, I will get a Brunfelsia gigantea. My J. Belle of I. is blooming, not a lot, 1-2 each time. I also noticed the flower is smaller on mine too. I think it is not happy with the indoor light and temperature. I do not expect it bloom at all. I will be much happier if it can drop all its leaves and just go dormant so I can put it in the basement without worry about spider mites problem.
    I am on the edge of committing a sin for another Sweet Olive, the orange colored one. I can never have enough of sweet olive scent. My current one, has dropped some leaves when I first moved it indoor and mistakenly put it near the vent. I thought higher temperature might make it happier, but the dry air really is killing it. Now it is happier away from the vent and being misted twice a day... I saw a lot more flower buds forming on tip of each branches. I am definitely going to have a fragrant Thanksgiving.
    oh, I love the delicate scent of Aglaia, mine is still struggle. Will know for sure next spring if it survives or not. I will send you e-mail and picture of the cuttings you sent me.

• kemistry
    11 years ago

Gosh I was so nervous this week because I almost killed my dwarf Ylang. Switching to a new soil during the cold weather isn't a smart idea at all. Lol.

Oh OG, if you do get a Brunfelsia be sure to grab the Brunfelsia jamaicensis also. I want a brunfelsia americana, maybe next year! : )

I hope the chickenfeet plant will grow well for you. It is so easy to root right? : ) My plant started out as a 4" single stem now it's a much fuller looking plant with many new stems popping up. It bloomed the other day and the scent was very strong.

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

Robert, I was looking at your orchids again..WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are doing a GREAT job my friend! Impressive.

Mike

• fenius
    11 years ago

I have one,too!!
    Oncidium twinkle red fantasy, I think the flowers smell after two days and only in the morning..does anyone have a different experience w/it??

• sam89
    11 years ago

My ginger flower just opened !

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

fenius, very nice, you got couple of spikes too. My red Twinkle has not bloomed yet. My white Twinkle blooms every year and it won't release fragrant few days after too.. Till flowers are fully opened...I love its way of blooming... a lot of happy flowers all bloom at same time... brings me into a festivity mood.

Sam, your ginger made it in Nov. bloom here...good job. Mine ginger never grow pass 12" for some seasons before its center start to rot. My thumbs are little brown...But I love ginger's creamy sweet fragrant.

• sam89
    11 years ago

Hi OG, I was so lucky that my ginger flower bloom in Nov. The weather was very warm and humid a few days before bud formed.
    Ha Ha !! I had a thought in my mind that I would get rid of this plant since the ginger has never bloomed for 10 years. It might be the plant knows ....

• Peggy
    11 years ago

I love fall blooming plants...fragrant or not. However, besides my Fudingzhu tea olive, which is on its 7th or 8th cycle of blooms this fall, some of my fragrant fall favorites are cultivars of Camellia sasanqua. This is Stephanie Golden which is a profuse bloomer. It has a light sweet fragrance, which is very pleasing. Sorry my picture isn't better quality.

• fenius
    11 years ago

this is very pretty..
    I got a camellia sasanqua "Beatrice Emily" this september and I saw some buds the other day, can't wait!! I also can't wait for the buds on my samoan gardenia; they seem to take forever and keep looking weirder every day!

Original Author
    11 years ago

Yay for pictures!

Mike, thank you but we all know you've quite the green thumb yourself. ;)

Fenius, do you like the scent? I find mind smells strongest late morn when the sun is shining.

Sam89, what a great treat! Congrats!

Smilacina, what a gorgeous bloom! Thank you for sharing.

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

Yes, I do find the smell is strongest then Robert!! The other night it smelled too but yesterday night it didn't..Maybe I went to bed later the night before.. I described the scent in the other post, what does yours smell like? And it looks normal size, how big is it?Mine is a miniature I think...

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

Sam, I know the thrill when you see the ginger blooms 10 years later. You have more patient than I am...I only waited 6-7 year for my Staphanotis to bloom. Boy, that was a long waiting without know when is the end. Nice reward for your patient, Yey...

smilacina, beautiful flower. I have been lurking at Camellia from time to time... can't decide which one to get. I like to get some with nice stronger scent and a good bloomer. Some camellia can have nice large flower but few flowers in bloom. what is your Stephanie Golden fragrance smelled like?

Original Author
    11 years ago

Oncidium Heaven Scent 'Sweet Baby' to me smells like vanilla hot chocolate or something like that. Hard to describe as you said in your other post. I don't care for it. Doesn't make me swoon but my partner likes the blooms so there ya go! I measured it this morning and it's a little over a foot tall and a little over a foot wide...so not big at all! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    11 years ago

What a beautiful windowsill!!! Well, yours is a giant, mine is 10cm (about 4").. maybe because of the holidays coming up I like the fragrance! It kind of goes with the happy flowers! .. I want to get a big one and was thinking of sharry baby after olympia brought it up.. Do you have sharry baby too? Or maybe Olympia has both sharry baby and heaven scent? I wonder which smells better

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

fenius, I have Sharry Baby which has strong chocalate + vinilla scent ...super attraction to my nose. The Sweet Baby is Sharry Baby+other orchid hybird.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sharry Baby and Sweet Baby

Original Author
    11 years ago

Fenius,

Thank you! If only my partner felt the same way. He's constantly griping at me for all the plants circling the sink. Laugh. It's one of the few sunny windows I have. I don't have to worry about our dog getting in the window like a cat would. :)

OG,

Thanks for the awesome orchid link explaining the different scents.

-Robert

• roseyd
    11 years ago

"Wuv me, Wuv my plants. ... and cats ... and ..." you'd think I was naming flaws but whats wrong with a few dozen plants and several obnoxious cats...

Rob, dear - you're perfect just the way you are - plants n all.

a few plants cluttering up the kitchen, what does that matter in the grand scheme of things? If he really gets annoyed, he'll build you some shelves over the windows, or a greenhouse. :) Love can work magic, yes? :D

Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! I was just looking at Lowe's for some small greenhouses today on my lunch break. Laugh.
    Yes. At this rate I think we'll all have to get some like Mike has though it doesn't seem to have solved his space problem since he's filled the greenhouse up along with his bedroom! :)

-Robert