Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daniellalell

Jasmine inside for winter?

daniellalell
16 years ago

Hey all, I hope someone can help me with this..I am in central Jersey, zone 6b.

In the spring I bought some Jasmine plants; 4 star jasmines and 2 poet's jasmines. Had them out all summer..Stars did great always blooming, and smelling o so lovely.

Poet's didn't bloom once. All plants got the same amount of sun. Anyway..now it's getting colder I first brought them into my unheated enclosed back porch last week, and was planning on covering the windows with plastic to have a slight greenhouse effect..anyone ever do this? think it will work? I have only gotten around to doing 6 windows so far, and its gonna get into the 30's tonight so I brought them in the house.

I noticed the POet's jasmine is actually getting buds!!!

Anyway, do you think they will do ok in the house? I Have the star jasmine by a window that gets afternoon sun, and right now I have the poet's jasmine on top of the fridge with some Coleus.

I have never overwintered any plants before, and this year I have so many to do, I am a lil scared.

I also brought in Esperanza..I don't know if I should cut it down and put it on the back porch till spring or try to keep it alive inside.

My Mandevillas are getting cut back tomorrow and going on the back porch, I hope they make it thru the winter. We've had some cold nights already and those beauties are still profusely blooming non-stop. I feel like a murderer to cut them back.

Any help I can get I would greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

Daniella

Comments (7)

• Embothrium
    16 years ago

You want cool, bright and humid. They won't like comparatively hot and dark ordinary indoor conditions, nor do you want the roots to freeze.

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you! Do I need to mist them?

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Misting will definitely help keep spider mites down; they like the warm, dry conditions indoors in winter. Having a fan on to keep air moving is likewise a good idea.

However, without at least 4 hours of direct sunlight, don't expect your jasmines to bloom during the winter. If you're just trying to keep them alive until spring, that's enough.

Also, poet's jasmine (J. polyanthum) needs a cold spell to induce flowering, and only flowers in the winter/early spring, so that's why you didn't get blooms in the summer.

BTW, both of these are hardy to zone 8, so they don't have to go inside in mild climates.

Good luck with them!

Jim

• daniellalell
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thank you very much, Jim. I had no idea about the cold spell needed for the poet's jasmine. I thought maybe I had gotten jipped (sp?) and had gotten sold some non-flowering vine lol.
    Yes, I am just trying to keep them alive till spring..though it would be nice to see and smell some flowers over the winter.
    How often should I mist them? I have been flower gardening for 4 years now, but never had any plants indoors..this year I just have too many I wanna try and save from the dreaded cold. I hope my thumb is as green inside as it is out, lol.
    Daniella

• jimshy
    16 years ago

I usually mist every 2-3 days if I remember; another option is to take 'em to the sink or shower and really hose them down and let them drip dry. The one thing to be careful of is not to let them get too wet at the roots if the temp. gets really cold at night -- if they're next to an open window or in a cool hallway -- or you risk root rot.

With your outdoor experience you should do just fine!

Jim

• hodjie
    16 years ago

Are Jasmine plants very prone to getting spider mites? Mine already got them this year. And when they get them do you have to worry about all of your other plants catching the spider mites as well? I read that you are supposed to spray with water to help prevent them......however if they already have spider mites....will the water not only keep them at bay...but get rid of them as well? I have wiped them all off the best that I can see...and have been spraying my plant with water and a little bit of natural dish soap. It seems to be affective.......but not sure yet. Still keeping and eye on it.

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Some plants, like jasmines, are more vulnerable to mites than others (my ipomoea platensis is practically a magnet for 'em) but they're only dangerous if you don't do anything about 'em.

What mites like is warm, dry, still air, which is what most of us have inside during the heating season. Anything to change those conditions; fans, humidifiers, spraying, etc., helps keep mites down.

Hodjie, your spraying regime should do the job, if they get worse you may need to give your plant a shower in the sink or bathtub and really wash off the leaves and stems, particularly the new growth at the top, to keep the population down.

Death to all mites!

Jim