Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
FRAGRANT Magnolia for Zone 6B?

Posted by rickl144 6B SE PA (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 25, 08 at 13:13

I would like to get a tree (not shrub) Magnolia that will grow in zone 6B without getting nipped in the bud by frosts most years. What would you all recommend? Fragance is key. It would need to be currently available in commerce, of course. I have already heard some good things about Magnolia x "Daybreak," but would like to have some other options to consider. Thanks for your thoughts!

Rick

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: FRAGRANT Magnolia for Zone 6B?

I live in the worst place to even imagine trying a magnolia. In the mountains of Colorado. We have severe very late frosts, temps to -15F, winds over 60 mph, and dry alkaline soil. But my sweetbay magnolia plugs along happily each year, and brings a smaller version of that lemony southern magnolia smell to the Rockies. It blooms off and on all summer, too. The evergreen leaves do burn in winter, but that is only because they are silly enough to try to hang on all winter long.

o
RE: FRAGRANT Magnolia for Zone 6B?

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Thu, Dec 4, 08 at 9:01

Like Erika said, one way to avoid frosts is going with a summer blooming native magnolia like sweetbay (m. virginiana) or bull bay (m. grandifolia), both have cultivars that would do fine in 6b. Ashe's magnolia is another rare native with big leaves and fragrant flowers.

Other late blooming mags include x soulangiana hybrids like Verbanica and Big Pink,
x. loebnerii hybrid Leonard Messell is a tough, good bloomer, but I've smelled some that are not so fragrant.

If you're looking for smaller trees, the 'Little Girl' series from the USDA get high marks, but I don't find the fragrance all that great.

Other good late blooming fragrant hybrids include Hattie Carthan, Porcelain Dove, and probably some others I'm forgetting -- there's a magnolia for almost everything!

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here