Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Taiwan Wild Ginger, Top Fragrance Profile

Posted by longriver SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 13, 08 at 13:56

This wild ginger cultivar or species from Taiwan is not easy to flower. It requires mature plant. Taiwan has very mild Nov. just like SF Bay Area. It is blooming now.

Compared to the fragrance quality profile of other ginger cultivar plants, this one stands out.

The flower is also attractive.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/Photo5-1.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Taiwan Wild Ginger, Top Fragrance Profile

• Posted by daxin z9 Bay Area (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 14, 08 at 18:55

Hi John,

It looks like some kind of Hedychium. I have tried Hedychium coronarium in the past and it was quite easy to grow. Currently I am trying Hedychium Dr. Moy, a variegated cultivar that has very late blooming season. So far I have not been able to make it bloom, but hopefully this late mini-heat wave will help it push out some flowers.

o
RE: Taiwan Wild Ginger, Top Fragrance Profile

Daxin, Honestly I have no clue what you are doing. Email me a picture if you have.
I had three kinds of ginger plants in different colors from Hawaii before. But eventually I got rid of them. The fragrance was okay, but not fantastic. This Taiwan wild ginger, to my surprise, has a very unique and very appealing fargrance to me. My house area is getting pretty cool due to my back hill blocking the sunlight. Another merit is that in cool or even cold temperature, this flower produces equal amount of intense fragrance for a long period of time. I was going to get rid of them due to never flowering for about 5 years( root-bound or maturity might be requirement for bloom). Now It is part of my precious tresure in my garden. See more flowers are coming.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/_DSC0012.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here