Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winterwren_gw

Madison Confederate Jasmine

winterwren
19 years ago

I bought a couple of these during the summer. Besides stating the name of the plant,there was no other information on the label. I have read that "Madison" is more cold-hardy than other confederate jasmines,but I still don't know what the minimum temperature that it can tolerate is. Does anyone here know?

Comments (13)

• mare2
    19 years ago

Was hoping someone else would have more info than I do, but Wayside Gardens lists it as hardy to your zone (zone 7). Minimum of zero? My potted one is still outside, but will have to bring it in when we start having hard freezes here. I used to have both this and the "regular" one, but the other died--not sure if it was cold temps or what. Whatever the reason, 'Madison' was far superior from the beginning--just more lush, pretty, floriferous and disease resistant.

If you haven't already planted them out, I'd maybe wait till next spring to give the roots a chance to get established and then try them in a very protected area with a lot of mulch and an anti-dessicant. Just my 2 cents. Good luck! :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Wayside

• winterwren
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Mare and Vickie! :)

• msdixi
    19 years ago

Will this live thru the winter outside in a pot? I have it on a patio with a trellis

• risingpower1
    19 years ago

If confederate jasmines survive here, I'm guessing it will there.

• david1978jp
    19 years ago

Survived in Virginia Beach, VA ? Did it stress out? I am in Louisiana, last year, mine were so streeed out, not started growing until almost May; temperture reach 80 in March. And weather was super warm during winter, only 3-4 days below 30 F - maybe it does not take sudden cold well?

• vickie704
    18 years ago

I live in Virginia Beach, VA and posted a while ago about my confederate jasmines surviving here. Here is the latest update: Madison is supposed to be more cold tolerant than the other varieties. For the past 6 or so years they have all grown happily outside in the ground. This winter (since my last post) the temps got very cold (down to the low teens with wind chill causing single digit "feel"). My Madison jasmines suffered tremendously. All of the leaves "burned" and for all practical purposes appear dead. Strangely, the "other" confederate jasmines fared much better. Although some got a few burned leaves, most show not a whole lot of damage at all and are now starting to show bloom growth. The only difference between the two varieties is the Madison was planted on the front of my house and the 10 or so others in the back. I'm stumped but think it perhaps had something to do with the direction of the wind.

• jimshy
    18 years ago

Wind direction can make a big difference in the winter, especially with semi-evergreens like trachelospermum -- it dries out the leaves and stresses the plant. Spraying with an anti-dessicant in the late fall can help, as does setting up a windbreak of Xmas tree branches or other evergreens around the plant.

Even in the same back yard, being close to a wall, especially a south-facing one, can create a micro-climate that has a noticible effect on the plant.

msdixi, the general rule of thumb is that a plant in a pot loses 2 zones of hardiness because of soil freezing, limited root space etc, but that also depends on the size of the container, the position, etc., etc. -- I'd be prepared to bring it into the garage on cold nights.

Jim

Has your Madison started sprouting back from the roots?

• Joeray
    18 years ago

I'm in south Louisiana (Baton Rouge) and I am growing regular Confederate Jasmine. Mine is thriving and growing like a weed and blooming right now. I can't believe the other Louisiana person is having trouble growing it. It grows all around the neighborhood here and is deliciously scenting up the neighborhood. Of course, strange things sometimes happen. My fig tree died this winter and it was not even that cold. The parish (county) ag agent said it was freeze damage.

• herbwebster_aol_com
    17 years ago

Hi A little over 3 weeks ago I purchased a confederate jasmite plant and planted it in a flower bed next to the house in full sun. My soil was a little sandy so I put cow manure in the hole and mixed it with topsoil. I used the Miracle Gro starter mix and watered every day. Now it seems the leaves are drooping and some of them are turning brown. Could anyone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? Should I stop watering it? Sould I fertilize it? I'm just trying to get it to grow because I really like the fragrance any advice would be incredibly appreciated. Thank you.

• railroadrabbit
    17 years ago

Herb,
    Jasmine requires moderate water and moderate fertilizer. So don't overdo it. That may be your problem.

Stick your finger into the dirt about an inch. If the soil is still damp, don't water it. They like moist soil, but not soggy. Watering every day is too much. A good soaking once a week is enough.

If it was greenhouse grown and you just bought it, the freezing weather last week may have damaged the leaves, too. It should not be planted in Spring until danger of frost is past.

The cow manure should be well composted (no odor). If you bought it in a bag, it probably is.

It will grow 20 feet or more as a vine, but if you keep pinching it back it can be trained to branch out more into a shrub appearance. This should be done on a regular basis so you don't remove more than one-third of the plant during a short period of time.

• brandyray
    16 years ago

I have 2 confederate jasmines here in Zone 7b. I used to have 3, however, there is less wind protection in my backyard than in my front. After, the 2 in back died down to the ground 2 winters in a row, I moved the surviving one in front. Those two survived this winter but died down to the ground- well, this winter had a really cold spell late. They are both fine now but not blooming yet. I do not know what cultivar they are. I love their sprawling appearance and wonderful scent.
    It is all sand here but I have never fertilized them and I water infrequently, so far they have done fine in the summer. Brandy

• tonibarger_aol_com
    13 years ago

WHERE CAN I PURCHASE MADISON CONFEDERATE JASMINE (STAR JASMINE) NEAR ORLANDO FLORIDA???

THANK YOU