Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
savy4_gw

What happened to my michelia alba???

savy4
12 years ago

HELP! I purchased a michelia alba plant from the California last July. When it was first shipped to me, it was a healthy plant. It was doing very until I overwatered it.I decided to transplant it into a new pot which is smaller then the old one. After transplanting into the new pot, the plant did not seem to have changed. I transplanted it in September when it getting ready to cool at night. To me, it looks like the plant is at a stand still. It has been about 5 weeks now since I transplant it. All I see is bare branches, but it is still green, yet it has no new growth. It does not same like the same plant when I first got it and put it into a pot I would see all new growth within a few weeks. I don't know maybe back then because of warmer months or what. Anyone out there know how to care for this plant? Please give me some advice on how to care for this plant. Because right now the plant is indoor facing the east window. But I don't know if it will survive during the winter months. Right now I don't give it any water at all I only watered once it was first transplant. I used to have this plant one time and it died during the winter months because I don't know how to care for it. Please help I don't want it to die at all. Thank you.

Comments (13)

• FlowerGuyGreg
    12 years ago

I'm not sure where you live but my guess is it will not make it indoors for the winter.

I have planted many michelia alba over the years and I will say they either thrive or die. There really is no in between in my experience. they really don't like getting dry so keep in moist not wet and hope for the best.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

The key is to making sure it is a proper mix that dries out rather quickly and yet retains moisture.
    Your mix should be very porous and allow you to water frequently without fear of root rot any time of the year.

Keeping it in an east window will be ok, but I would watch out the your mix does not dry out to the point of wilt and does not take a long time to dry out.

I would give it a chance since you still have green in the branches and see what happens. Just watch your watering practices and provide a very porous mix:-)

Mike

• savy4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike it seems like my michelia alba branches is drying out. So I watered it yesterday. Do you think its gonna make it during this winter months.

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Let me ask you a few questions first,k?

How big is this plant?
    Have you got in a well fast draining mix?
    Do you have access to wooden dowels, shop sticks, or barbecue wooden sticks?
    Can you place in a warm room?
    Can you place it in a sunny window or one that gets lots of sunlight?

That is a great start, because if so, yes it might just make it. But I also have one other suggestion for you if you are up to it?

Mike:-)

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

If you want to keep it indoors, find a warm room and supplement the light with a fluorescent light. Do everything suggested by Mike regarding the mix. Then it will live. Alba doesn't mind low humidity in my experience. They do mind cold and wet and die very quickly from it. Even faster than a Gardenia.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

I'm not sure what to advise on, but good luck with your plant Savy4. Would you able to post a picture of the plant? I'm curious to see what condition it is in and what the potting medium looks like.

Mines puts out new growth every so often but even then I notice a branch or two that turns kind yellowish then brown and I snap them off. I am not sure what causes this, if this is natural dieback for 'hidden' branches or some sort of fungus/viral attack? But it happens...

Good luck,
    Dar

• savy4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mike the plant is about 3ft tall. And yes I did all that you've mentioned. So, what is the other option in order to save this plant. Because I see some branches are dieing.

• savy4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi, Dar how do I post the picture? Because I really want you to see it.
    Savy4

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

Simply upload your image file to an image upload service such as Photobucket.com by or Tinypic.com

At Tinypic click on choose and select your image file. There is also an option to resize the image as it uploads. Select the size for message boards click Upload Now.

You will see a selection for codes. copy the HTML code and paste it here into the message field and you can preview to see if it works.

• savy4
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Mike,

I have checked the soil then I took out the plant to see if the root system is rotting. And it did a little bit but more than half of the roots are not yet rotting because there are a small roots and a big roots and the big roots is still okay. So, think I still have hope the soil is moist but not very moist.
    Thanks savy4

• meyermike_1micha
    12 years ago

Savy..

That is great. All you need to do is provide all teh above and them very fine fiberous roots we are looking for will be bound to come back.

Mike;-)