Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Help ordering witch hazel

lpinkmountain
18 years ago

I am just about finished landscaping my yard, and I suddenly realized I need witch hazel in one spot. I had planned on lilac, but the soil will be slightly acidic so I don't know if the lilac will thrive. So I think hamamelis/witch hazel will be a good substitute because of the leaf shape and color which will compliment what is nearby. I have only seen Hamamelis virginiana in the nurseries around here which I do not think is all that smelly, at least the couple I've been around. I haven't seen any of the smelly varieties like "Arnold's Promise" etc. locally. Could someone give me some advice on ordering them online? I have ordered from ForestFarm before and they have quite a few varieties listed, but don't have species names on a lot of them. I want something that doesn't get huge like a tree, maybe 8-10 feet tops. As it is I'm going to have to prune it to keep it in bounds. It's going next to some blueberries and a juniper.

What are the good smelling cultivars? Also, my zone is 6 but we can get zone 5 winter weather occasionally.

Comments (8)

• ankraras
    18 years ago

I read that Hamamelis vernalis is the smallest of all Hememelis. If my memory serves me correctly, it's an upright shrub about 12 feet tall
    with fragrant cream/yellow flowers. You can find a nursery list on their site by search engine.

Ankrara's Hobby Corner

Here is a link that might be useful: Michigan State University Extension

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

That's good to know about the vernalis, because my favorite local native plant nursery has that one.
    But now I'm wondering about maybe fothergilla instead, since its fall color is supposedly great. I am totally unfamiliar with that plant, since I grew up in zone 5 where it is not common at all. The online pictures look great. Kinda like witch hazel but with better fall foliage.
    I really like the shape of witch hazel leaves, and I don't hate the yellow fall color they get, and I love the confetti flowers.
    Hmmm, what to do. I don't have very much room, and I'll bet I'd really have to work at keeping witch hazel in bounds. I've never been much of a pruner, but in my small yard I practically have no choice.

• achang89
    18 years ago

Try to find plants in local nurseries. In NJ, my local co-op carries both Chinese "Pallida" and the "vernalis (sp?). The Chinese one has better fragrance, if this is something you want....

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I am surprised that the better nurseries around here don't carry much of a selection of witch hazel, especially since I've been reading so much about it in gardening books. If they do have it, it is usually the virginiana. I guess the plants aren't that well known yet by typical suburban gardeners. Maybe next spring I'd have better luck. Do you know the species name for the Chinese variety?

• jimshy
    18 years ago

You're in luck -- Fairweather gardens in NJ has a huge selection of witch hazels this fall, including several different varieties of h. vernalis! See the link below.

the asian varieties, h. mollis and h. x intermedia, are not fully hardy in zone 5 unless well-protected, and planting in the fall, you risk losing it to root rot if the ground stays wet -- witch hazels have rather sensitive root systems.

I've got an h. vernalis 'Sandra' that's in a container that's too small, took a beating in the dry summer, got knocked over for a few days while I was away, and still sets buds. It's about 6 ft. now, after a year and a half, and I haven't had to prune it yet. This is one tough tree.

I agree that h. vernalis doesn't have as showy or fragrant flowers as the asian varieties, but it does have great fall foliage, and the spring growth starts out purplish. The straight species h. mollis is supposed to be the most fragrant, with some of the hybrids like 'Arnold's Promise' close behind. In all cases it's a light, clean fragrance, not a heavy perfume, but hey, you can't be too picky for flowers in the middle of winter!

Pretty much all witch hazels are spreaders, so if your space is tight vertically, you may very well be better off with a fothergilla major, which tops out at about 6ft, has pretty, scented white flowers in early spring, and excellent fall foliage. It's also tighter and more compact in habit than the witch hazels.

If Fairweather is too pricey (keep in mind their plants are much larger and fuller than what Forestfarm usually ships), you can also try Roslyn Gardens for witch hazel and fothergilla selections.

Good luck; I think these are great, underused shrubs!

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: Fairweather Gardens

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for all the tips Jim! Now that you mention it, I have noticed that witch hazel is pretty sensitive to transplanting. The ones I ordered for the folks back home from ForestFarm were touch and go for awhile, although once they get established I know they are hardy. I was also wondering about the temp. tolerances of the really smelly varieties. Seems like all the great smelling things like it warm. Honestly I probably don't have room for witch hazel and should go with the fothergilla, but like you say, flowers in winter are a big draw for me, and witch hazel is a sentimental favorite of mine. I could not BELIEVE all the selections at that place you sent me a link to. Sounds like a great place to visit, although I always have trouble finding my way out of Philly into NJ when I head out that way. But I think mail ordering from them would be better than ForestFarm out west, as far as transplant shock, etc. I just don't know what to do since there are no sizes listed for these cultivars, and I just bet they are all pretty much the same, too big for my yard! My spot is about 4 feet long tops, and about 3 feet wide. Here's the space I want to put it in. It's bigger than it looks from the angle of the picture, but it's still small!

• jimshy
    18 years ago

I would talk to one or more of the nurseries and tell them about your space -- this is not a totally busy time of year for NE nurseries, and they know their areas. BTW, you can totally espalier a witch hazel against the fence, I've seen it down with beautiful results at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardern!

Good luck!

Jim

• lpinkmountain
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I had a friend who used to live just a couple of blocks from the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. I visited there once. What a gorgeous spot, and such a resource! I hope I can get back someday.
    I did read on ForestFarm's Web site that you can espalier witch hazel, and I was thinking about trying it. Seems like with their flexible canes the hazels would do good as espalier. And those early flowers would be spectacular. I'm gonna give the nursery a call this weekend. I'm on a big push to get everything in the ground before the snow flies, LOL.
    Thanks again for all the help!
    lpink