Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobeckclan

can a garden have too many fragrant flowers?

bobeckclan
17 years ago

I am in the process of designing gardens around our home where we will also be hosting outdoor weddings (I hope). I personally love extremely fragrant flowers (roses, lilies, etc.) and am planning on using primarily fragrant varieties in the gardens.But then I read a comment (elsewhere) from someone urging against planting too many fragrant flowers, so as not to overwhelm the senses. If I were only planting for myself (as I've done in the past), I wouldn't care about this and would forge ahead with everything being fragrant. But since we plan on hosting weddings, I do want to be more aware of design issues this time, so that I can create an area that is attractive to many people (at all sensory levels I guess!). I would like to hear your opinions as to whether or not I should be concerned about overplanting fragrant flowers? And any other thoughts you have about the design issues connected with fragrance in a garden. By the way, this is on a three and a half acre lot, with most of the gardens being located near the house. Thanks!

Comments (2)