Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blossom Time for Wan-Dian-Jin Osmanthus

Posted by longriver SF Bay Area (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 2, 08 at 15:52

It means 'Thousands of Gold Pieces'. This fragrant yellow Osmanthus flower also has a reddish tone.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/Photo5.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blossom Time for Wan-Dian-Jin Osmanthus

That is gorgeous. Is it easy to root from cuttings?

Kasie

o

Rooting should be done possibly last week of May or early in June.

o

Wow, that is so beautiful!

o

• Posted by jimshy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 21:09

O my goddess! Longriver, is the red tone as strong in real life as it is in the picture? I would love to see a specimen in full bloom, it's really exciting to see all the new cultivars you and other growers are bringing to the US!

Jim

o

Jim,

This is not a new cultivar. The image below shows an international conservation team talking to farmers about such a tree. This one is nick-named "Nine Dragon" tree. The age is measured to be 900 years.

o

Osmanthus is cold hardy but not 'very' cold hardy. About a month ago I was touring Summer Palace(Yi-Ho Garden), Beijing, there were many potted reddish gold color Osmanthus in full bloom.During winter bitter cold, they move hundreds of pots in sheltered area.

There are over 150 cultivars( ancient nature ones and selected ones) in China. In the botanical Garden of Huangzhuo City, old osmanthus plants on the ground are like a forest.

Here is a link that might be useful:

o

Long River,

I was told that you are a Texas-Cowboy. I dont know you are also a botanist and culture expert! I was in Beijing before. But I never see any O Fragrans there. I think it is zone 7 a little cold.

Here is the picture in your link (everyone else see a red X).

o

Snasxs, thanks to bring out the picture. Yes, I was trained genuine Cowboy at Panhandle, Oklahoma.( Many fake ones somewhere-Well, it is just a fun talk. Those who please do not feel offended). However now my job focus is to enjoy life.

I happen to have a picture of Osmanthus trees at West Lake, Huangzhuo City. Imaging the fragrance during blossom time. Click the red X, the picture shall appear.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/Aa033-1.jpg

o

Longriver, the trunk looks so interesting!!!

o

jimshy:
My friend in China sent me this picture of red Osmanthus. Under the shade, the red color seems darker. Generally the fragrance level of red Osmanthus is slightly lighter

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/RedOsmanthus-1.jpg

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here