Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mersiepoo

Surveytime! Where do you buy your plants online?

mersiepoo
15 years ago

Sigh, I found spider mites on a fig that I got from Logees. It took me awhile to figure out that they were spider mites, they are so small, and I never had a problem with spider mites before with my indoor plants. I had noticed the leaves turning a crappy color and wasn't sure what was causing that. None of my other plants have this problem, and it was isolated from my other plants...so I know who the culprit is. I am through with buying plants from them, I also got thrips and before that I got some sort of spots that only attack succulents. Luckily it's a very slow spreading whatever it is and is controlled by removing the offending leaves.

So, I'm looking for other sources for mail order plants, be they fragrant or fruit bearing. Where do you like to order your planties from?

Comments (20)

• jimshy
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Mersie,

How are we gonna do this without getting zapped by the forum police?

Let's see what happens when I list 'em like this:

1. gardino in FLA, great plants, much larger for the price than other stores, and excellent customer service.

2. woodlanders and nurseries caroliniana have huge selections of lots of things you don't see in the NY metro area.

3. well sweep herb farm in NJ has a huge selection of every herb you ever wanted and some tropicals as well. Very good quality and reasonable prices.

4. flowerscent gardens for seeds and some plants

5. logees and glasshouseworks will always have a place in my heart for being the first mail order houseplants I indulged in, but I think in many cases they're struggling to compete with nurseries in the south who have lower heating and real estate costs and can ship just as easily, now that fedex-type delivery is ubiquitous, and will have to reinvent themselves to avoid being outgrown. We'll see.

OK, who's next?

• nomadic
    15 years ago

I've bought many plants from Logee's, for some reason most of the plants seem to have been programmed for demise after a few months of healthy existence. A few that do survive seem to struggle, maybe put out healthy leaves but with poor flowering performance. No comment about the price.
    Almost Eden has been thorugh management change, seems to be okay, although the plants of interest are usually out of stock.

I like the variety of plants at forestfarm.com and the quality of plants from Meehan's miniature.

Got a not so well represented Pleioblastus viridistriatus from bamboos.com which never developed the bright yellow-gold variegation despite full sun exposure as recommended. Management was difficult to deal with and I finally decided not to return the plant or deal with them further.

I consider myself lucky being in the OR where local nurseries abound. Plants are better acclimatized, too. Check out Cistus (cistus.com) or in person if you ever venture out here. They have interesting unique plants plus friendly service and invaluable support.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Let's see.. www.accentsforhomeandgarden.com
    www.worldplants.com
    www.almostedenplants.com
    A few growers on Ebay.

Citrus come from 2 nureries in Fl, but since the ban is over, can't order more.

In the 90's, I was a regular Logee's Customer. Between 1999-2001 prices went up and pot/plant sizes down. I still have some of their plants bought in the mid-90's, but the later plants died. One citrus, a 2-4" seedling, died that week. Perhaps, those of you lucky enough to drive to their green house, I'd bet you'd find beautiful plants.

There are a few succulent nurseries I order from too, but don't know if anyone here is intereted in sux..Toni

• puglvr1
    15 years ago

I second Gardino's Nursery in FL...they are awesome!! they do have excellent customer service and healthy plants! I buy some of their Hoyas, wish they carried some of the ones I'm looking for...I'm addicted to Hoyas, lol...

Here's their link

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardino's Nursery

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all the sources, ladies and gents! It pains me to have to drop being a customer of logees, but yeah almost all their plants I get either die, hang on for a few months and then die, or (more recently) have bugs/disease on them when I received them. I think out of the 15 or more plants I've ordered from them over the years, I think I have maybe 4 that are still alive.

Thank you all for the great suggestions, now I have a bunch of exploring to do (rubbing my hands with glee)!

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

It is true that Logees is not the vast bargain that it once was in the dim past (thirty years ago?) , nor is the selection as big, but the plants I have gotten and will continue to buy from them have done fine for me. They have fast service, etc., etc., and their prices are at least competitive.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just got way too many diseases and bugs and plants that bite it after a few months from logees, so I gotta move on. It's a shame too, there are a bunch of plants I still want to buy.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Mona, unfortunately, Logees isn't the same family-owned nursery it was in the 80's and 90's..It was once my favorite mail order company.
    Every so often I browse their site, but since they increased prices and decreased pot sizes, their plants arrived so tiny you almost needed a magnifying glass to see it.
    I never received a plant from them with bugs or disease..
    The last plant ordered was an Alcalypha..it was about 4" tall. It died days after arrival..Before that, it was a variegated citrus. One out of three plants arrived extremely small. And their cost were overpriced.
    Normally, I do not call nurseries to complain nor do I leave negative feedback, but I ended up phoning customer service..they were very nice, understanding and apologetic, even sent another Acalypha, the latter at least 9" tall..If only they had shipped the healthier plant in the first place, there wouldn't have been any problems..That was the last time I ordered. I felt bad considering I'd been a long time customer, but they're prices increaased 3-4 times higher for a small plant that could be purchased elsewhere for less money and more plant.

I heard their green house plants are gorgeous, and would be worth it if one is a resident of CT. lol..

Mersi, Accents sells some lovely fragrant plants, but they go fast. If you see something you like, check to see if it's in stock..
    When they're back ordered, you'll see, Stock -3..this means they're out of stock..I've been lucky buying from Accents, and their prices are incredible.
    I love their African Gardenia, and so many others. Prices range from 4.99-5.99 with a few exceptions..
    Each plant is potted in a 4" black, plastic pot. Compact and well-rooted.

I'm irked with another nursery..Once upon a time, they too sold nice plants, a little pricier than average, but they sold plants that couldnt be found in morst stores.
    I got a Hoya from him this summer..it died..I took the blame, left positive feedback..About a month ago, I ordered another Hoya and a variegated hanging Jade..the Jade was in a 4" pot..the hoya is doing okay, but the Jade looked like something tore it apart.. Last night I unpotted it, only to find it was rootless..they potted in a 4" to make it look larger..That's it..Another place off my list.
    I don't know if it's acceptable to name nurseries, people did before, but don't know IVillage's view, and don't want to make anyone angry..

Another nursery I like, Mersi, is www.ctterrariums.com or cterrariums.com Don't remember if it has two t's..I bought a Vanilla Orchid from them several years ago, among other plants, it's doing great..

Before ordering, check Gardenwatchdog.com
    There's a seller in CA who literally steals money from ppl. He cashes checks or cc's automatically, but plants are hardly ever delievered..don't know how he stays in business..hundreds of ppl have contacted BBB and other government agencies..he's been arrested, still he's open to the public..
    Have fun shopping...ohhh, it's fun..lol..Toni

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Now is the winter of our gardening discontent made glorious summer by the sunny photos of websites and garden catalogs! Unfortunately (or fortunately) I held back on buying during the long warm autumn in NYC, and now it's too cold to ship most things, so I'm saved from buying more than I can afford.

It's always smart to check with the watchdog or Dave's to see what experiences others have had with nurseries; it's sooooo tempting to go with what seems like a real bargain price on a plant, but painful experience teaches us, eventually, that cheap usually means small, and sometimes low quality as well. So if you find a seller you like, stick with them and give them some biz, because it's going to be a really difficult winter for the trade, even with lower oil prices, and a blooming plant can help us stay cheerful in recessionary times!

Jim

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jim and Toni, thank you for the info on gardenwatchdog, I didn't know about them! :) Wow, I'm impressed, you have a vanilla orchid! Has it bloomed for you yet?

• jeelli
    15 years ago

Mersie- some day you'll have to come to CT to visit Logee's- it's quite an experience. The plants are small in person, but I figure- I don't have a greenhouse, so small works for me! I still have many many plants that I've purchased from Logees going three years back, and I've even been lazy and had a bunch of Jasmine shipped to me last Feb- they use these awesome heat packs- ATTN: JIMSHY! (that saved me-it was either that or head for FL). One Jasmine bit the dust- quite recently, the rest are fine. As for bugs, it's the price we pay for taking plants out of their element, 'sides, it keeps things exciting... ;0)

• jimshy
    15 years ago

Jeelli -- You had to remind me about heat packs, dintja? ;>)

Jim

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jeelli.. well the problem with the bugs is, they were an unexpected free bonus from Logees, I didn't have them to begin with. I'm just glad that I figured out the spider mites on the fig they sent me before it spread to every other plant in my house. Then the thrips sucked, but I think I got rid of them all.

I just hate having to worry about what new bug or disease I may introduce every time I order from them. I've ordered from many other nurseries and didn't have problems with bugs/disease.

Believe me, I gave them plenty of chances, I placed at least 5 orders to them within the past 4 years. They sell lots of variety, but they also have lots of varieties of bugs too.

• jeelli
    15 years ago

Oops- sorry Jim- did I let that slip?
    Mersie- I give up on the bugs one way or another; I get them like a magnet(Wayside gave me scale...). My plants pick them up from being out all summer, so I figure, if I'm going to live with bugs in my home, at least I can deal with these- and spiders. Sometimes Ladybugs- which I wish I had more of!
    If I could convince my family to move to Florida, I could have my plants outside; problem solved...*sigh*... this in the midst of a snow storm, which pleases my husband and kids to no end!!!!

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

The lesson we can all draw from this is that it is a good idea to quarantine newly-purchased plants for while, no?

I notice, that, like myself, the garden watchdog customers are still pleased with Logees on the whole.

I just bought a beautiful fragrant Piqueria trinerva from them and was very glad they had it. It arrived promptly and in full bloom. I am not shilling for them or anything, it's just that I would rather see more sources of indoor plants rather than less. And Logee's is really a New England institution that deserves to be kept going.

It was rather hard to find cultural information for my piqueria, however. I dimly recalled, and was proved correct on looking at Bailey's Hortus, that it is a very cool-loving grower, preferring temps in the thirties or forties in wintertime. It is native to Florida and is susceptible to slugs outdoors in the summer (information relevant to me, since our garden has slugs). It has inconspicuous white aster-like flowers. I recall that in my youth it used to be displayed in the rooms at the Winterthur Museum in Delaware in November and December. I guess I'll try to keep it going in our vestibule.

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

I forgot about this thread.

Mersi, no, my vanilla orchid never bloomed..I wish. I had two, green and variegated..the var went to plant heaven. I could blame it on the seller, but it was my fault..except I still don't know where I went wrong..lol
    The green is once again a small plant..It grew huge, over 10'..Somehow, the stems tangled..it was like unraveling Christmas lights that have been tossed in a box w/o organizing. It got a haircut about a year ago. Cuttings never rooted..boohoo.

Marcsi, you've never heard of Gardenwatchdog? Wow..It's too bad everyone who grows/buys plants wasn't aware of this site.
    It's great for two reasons..The first is if someone wants to order from 'x' nursery, they check GWD, and read feedback. The second is, it's a good way finding a nursery.

BUT, there is a negative side, too.
    Over the years I've talked to a few nursery owners. They're very nice people, have to take lots of cr*p when it comes to the public.
    One woman ordered 2 plants from 'x' nusery. One was a backorder so when she opened the box, found one plant missing, she went balistic. She phoned the owner at midnight, again 4am..she admitted, on GWD, calling his home at midnight. She hesitated mentioning the 4am call though.. To top it off, she left negative feedback. If someone doesn't get exactly what they think they're going to get, instead of contacting the owner they run to GWD, rant and rave what a terrible nursery they ordered from, warn people away. I've ordered from nurseries some complained about and never had any problems. One man ships bare-root plants..it's written in plain English..still some complain the print isn't large enough, or it doesn't offer a good-enough description. The seller even displays pics/sizes of what to expect..lol How much more can anyone do? So, all it takes is one person to get the ball rolling, and others tend to follow. But I do enjoy reading GWD and have found several decent nurseries.

Perhaps Logees has improved their stock. If they haven't, the only reason they could be getting positive feedback, and I dread saying this is, people who have been shopping with them for years may feel dedicated, or ppl who just starting buying plants, who never shopped elsewhere, have nothing to compare to, perhaps feel a 3" plant is sufficient, especially if they believe it rare. I feel bad talking down about Logees, but after paying high costs to receive dead or tiny plants, if someone asked where to shop, I c/wouldn't refer them. Toni

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

I love Gardinos :> The plants are always large, healthy and well-established plus they are just the nicest people.

I like Glasshouseworks too. They have quite a selection and Tom is very nice. This is more a specialty collection for the collector who is willing to wait for plants to be rooted to order and willing to accept smaller starter size. Every plant I got from them has survived. :> Plus Tom throws in a couple extras as a bonus. :>

Logees is ok. Sometimes that have something unusual that I want but between the overpricing, the teeny plant sizes and the expensive shipping...I wonder why I ordered from them. And yes, even in a tropical / sub-tropical growing environment I have lost a number of their tropical plants shortly after their arrival. :"

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Toni! I worked in CUSS tomer service jobs for too many years so I know what ya mean about people freaking out about small stuff. :P Usually when I read reviews I look at all of them, then try to be analytical about the comments.

I've ordered a lot of plants from logees over the past 3 or 4 years, and I just got too many diseases from them. I got some sort of leaf spot that attacks succulents, and I KNOW I got it from them, which really makes me mad because it is now on some dragonfruit seedlings I have. I'm still trying to get rid of spider mites I got from a fig I got from them last summer, it was the only plant with them on it. I never had spider mite problems before that. I just don't see paying a lot of money for plants that you have to watch for diseases and insects. The least they should do is check them for pests, or spray them with neem or an organic insecticide before shipping. Plus, they use Fed Ex for shipping, and we have problems with the fed ex guy here giving our packages to our neighbors.

Hi Wannarunfaster! Thank you for the suggestions, I will check them both out. I do like to patronize small family run establishments, like bluestones too. :) I'm looking for another gardenia to kill. :D Yeah, logees's is one I'm giving up on, sadly. I don't want to because they sell such neat stuff, but most of the plants I got died after a month or so, except for a orange tree and a few other plants. I was really bummed about that australian finger lime biting the dust, but it was sort of sickly from the start.

• monarda_gw
    15 years ago

A friend who was a member of the NYC rock garden society told me that when members would order plants from a certain western US rock garden nursery, they used to routinely wash off all the soil from the root ball and replant them in fresh soil (probably with turkey grit, knowing the habits of RG society members -- I never could figure out where they got the turkey grit. Somewhere in Westchester, I think.) Anyway, this was a nursery that had very good plants, they just wouldn't live unless you replaced the soil they came in.

• mersiepoo
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmm, I know where to get chick grit, just down the road at the feed store, but not sure where they would get it in NYC, I'm assuming the city doesn't have too many of those, lol!

I wonder what they would pot their plants in so that they wouldn't grow, maybe some soilless medium?