Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longriver_gw

'Room Filled with Gold' Osmanthus

longriver
15 years ago

This newly rooted plant is starting to bloom, very good fragrance. The color stays in yellow.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (16)

• kasiec
    15 years ago

Hello John - I was at the U.C Riverside Fall Plant Sale recently and just missed the yellow Osmanthus. And so, I bought the white ones. It still smells great though. Now I just have to transplant from 1 gallon pot to 5 gallon size.

Kasie

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Another Wow!

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Kasie: Os in your area should grow fast. They like sunlight, moist soil and properly fertilized during growing season. After three years, my Os plants ( in 5 gal pot)are about 7 to 9 feet in height. I am still waiting to see other cultivars to bloom. Hope there is a red one.

Reduce the water during winter.

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

longriver,
    Please, where can I get a cutting or even a small plant like this. I have always wanted one. Thanks so much!!

• jimshy
    15 years ago

That's a nice strong color, longriver! Now, who's going to cross it with Fudinzhou so we can have a four season golden osmanthus?

Jim

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jimshy;
    1. Many four-season type Osmanthus are in creamy color or light yellow color such as 'Tianxiang Taige'( Heavenly fragrant Cascade Pagodas) or 'Daye Sijigui'( large leaf 4-Season Osmanthus).----
    2. One cultivar is in orange red colr called 'Dongxianghong'.

I happen to have a small rooted plant,'Tianxiang Taige' showing first flower cluster.

• yellowthumb
    15 years ago

Hi meyermike_1micha,

Although you did not ask me specifically, I will try to answer your question anyway.

There are more and more nurseries carrying Osmanthus cultivars in US, try to mail order from the www.nurcar.com or www.taylorsnursery.com, they have the yellow, red and Fudingzhu(four seasons), some of them have Nanjing's Beauty.
    Even at Canada, I am working at a nursery to secure sources for TianXiangTeGe, RiXiangGui and many other cultivars from China and propagate them here, it's amazing how many wonderful varieties just for the four seasons Osmanthus, I have about 20 varieties in my mind, probably next year, I am going to have all of them in my green house.
    I read many of your posts, other Chinese plants you may also like are Chinese Orchids(Jian Lan, Hui Lan, Chun Lan) and bowl lotus. I secured about 20 cultivars of fragrant double flower Chinese Bowl Lotus(flower in a big rice bowl) and many Chinese Orchids, Chun Lan flowered the 2nd time for me this year, they smelled like Chinese Rice flower. Since you like Gardenia, you will like them too.

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yellowthumb: Good information. The problem is that many small nurseries do not have web sites.( However there are many Chinese Orchid for sale on the web. in U S ).

I love to order a few more other Osmanthus cultivars.

• yellowthumb
    15 years ago

It's really sad to say that my wife doesn't like my TianXiangTaige, she said this is not like Osmanthus but mutants, flowers are wierdly large and in odd shape. But she likes my RiXiangGui very much, close to the Yellow Osmanthus in her memory, although a little bit pale, the fragrance is truly outstanding. Much stronger than the Fuzhingzhu or Nanjing's Beauty.
    She came from ShaoXing Zhejiang province (60 miles from Hangzhou), where Osmanthus planted everywhere and neglected and thrived. In the nursery, you could see so many osmanthus seedlings of different size of different cultivars, new cultivars created every single year, a 3 to 9 feet tall well branched tree with 1 to 3 inches trunk sold for only 2 to 10 US dollars. In a nutshell, as a nursery business targeting exotic subtropical plants, we can not compete with them. Period. The only things that protects our little hobby Canadian nursery business is the inefficiency of the border. But with the finance crisis we are facing, Canadian goverment is dramatically increasing the trade with China, this will change. As a consumer, there will be more choices, but not if you have to compete with them. I think I will stay with my computer job:)

• meyermike_1micha
    15 years ago

Longriver..Thanks for what you did!!!
    yellow thumb the information is just great and thanks.
    take care all!!
    Mike

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have developed a new fragrant camellia named 'Nuer Hong'( a famous ShaoXing Wine). A camellia nursery in Jinhua, not far from ShaoXing, Zhejiang Province is propagate it for sale in China. website: http://www.mxchw.com/

Osmanthus is well cultivated in China. There are 25 cities adopt Os. as their City Flower. The fragrance is a personal thing( like perfume). Some like this and some like the other.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:516970}}

• snasxs
    15 years ago

Long River,

I enjoy the color of your cultivar. However, I think you must think of a Western name ... for them to be sold in California.

BTW, do you drink Shaohsin Wine? How do you compare it to Japanese Sake?

Below is the image of Long River's cultivar:

{{gwi:516970}}

• yellowthumb
    15 years ago

I like the flower, I have a Yuletide and enjoy it very much. Truly love the yellow stigma, Yuletide just has that unpleasant moldy smell.

Talking about the Nuer Hong Wine, reminding me the first time to visit my wife family, they treated me with their special 10 year old NuerHong wine preserved with Chinese Dates, Wow, that special fragrance and the subtle sweetness. The Chinese Dates tasted so special. Just about one cup, I was literally drunk and had to have a nap. That is a wine that you can not stop drinking but long before you realize it, you are already too drunk.

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

snasxs: This new flower has been under propagation in a large nursery in U S.

The name is likely called 'Nuerhong Wine' This flower has its fragrance origin from C. saluenensis. The fragrance development is very special like wine fermentation. After flower fully opening for one day set in room temperature( I put the cut flower in a cup or move the plant indoor), the fragrance will be emerging. It resembles 'face powder' or 'old fashion perfume' told by my camellia friends in China.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    15 years ago

Longriver,
    I just love your new camellia. Any idea when we might see this available in the retail marketplace? My dh and I are relocating to N. San Diego County, CA, and I am planning a camellia and gardenia garden, and I'd LOVE to have this in my garden, it is so lovely, and the flowers are so large! And, to have fragrance on top of a plant as lovely as this, just a bonus!

• longriver
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hoosierquilt 10: I do not think the camellia nursery is ready. Because they only received my scions two years ago. The branches of the 'NuerHong Wine' plant have been harvested ( hair cut ) a few times, no flower this year. Yet I have a pod-mate plant, very similar in flower size and fragrance yet slightly different in petal appearance. It is blooming now. My garden friend will be my house tomorrow to see and to smell this flower.