Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rialira

advice on a broken jasmine?

rialira
16 years ago

I've got a maid of orleans with a branch that seems to have broken at its juncture with the main stem. it's still got flowers on it and doesn't seem terribly distressed, but I have a feeling I'm going to have to do something about it. I'm not just going to chop it off and throw it away, though...

might it root in water? I've rooted plenty of plants in water that aren't supposed to take well and I'm thinking of trying it. rooting hormone on cuttings never works for me :\

Ria

Comments (7)

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Jasmines are usually grown from cuttings, but I don't think plain water will give you a good chance of success, so why not go for the rooting hormone or better yet, rooting gel, which seems to work better and is easier to use.

Finally, don't worry about the mother plant, sambacs usually respond to pruning with a flush of new growth, so she'll bounce back; but if the leaves on the broken branch aren't withering, then it can still be saved if you splint it so it doesn't break all the way.

Let us know how it does!

Jim

• rialira
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the branch seemed fine for a while, but now it's starting to wilt. it was attached by a thin woody strand, so I detached it and popped it in water for now to see if I could at least perk it up. I'm almost certainly going to lose the buds on it though :\

So what rooting procedure would you recommend? I've only got powdered rooting hormone.

Ria

• mersiepoo
    16 years ago

I tried to use this rooting gel, but didn't work at all. Not sure what kind it was though.

I have heard of people taking willow bark, soaking it in water and then using the water to root plants, but never tried this before.

• rialira
    Original Author
    16 years ago

psh, I've tried that, too. with a little honey in it to disinfect. I've had my best success with plain water, to be honest :\

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I recently rooted a bunch of Grand Duke of Tuscony jasmines in soil. No rooting hormones. I just stripped the bottom leaves and any buds, put them in moist soil, stuck the pot in a baggie and sealed it. I left it in a shady area and they all had roots in about a month. I don't know what zone you are in but if it's cold I'd just do it inside on a seed mat.
    Karyn

• jimshy
    16 years ago

Karyn1's technique sounds right; if you use rooting hormone, just remember that too much is worse than none at all, so dip it once and tap the shoot to knock off the excess, then pot it and cross yer fingers!

I haven't used the rooting gel either, but it seems like a good "stick it in and forget it" method -- anyone had experience with it?

Jim

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I've used the rooting gel and it was ok but I like the powder with an added fungicide better. The gel sticks well but it doesn't keep well in the container. At least it doesn't look right after a short amount of time. Maybe it was the brand that I was using but it was originally a light green color with little white spots and after a month or two it turned to a weird olive green color with some brown so I tossed it. I also couldn't find any of the gels that contained a fungicide.
    Karyn