Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpetrizzle

jasmine sambac struggling to bloom.

mpetrizzle
13 years ago

I have a Jasmine Sambac that is facing a south window in my house, it gets plenty of sun and i try to feed it every once in a while. The problem is, my jasmine always has flower buds on it, but just as the blossoms look like the are about to open, they all shrivel up and die. this keeps happening and i dont know why. I mist it regularly but that doesnt seem to help either. Any advice on what i should do?

Comments (10)

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Along with the good advice above, if you want to see a HUGE difference in your plants growth, go to the pet store or hydroponic store and get a heat matt if you are going to give it all day sun in a sunny window..

There is no escaping the fact that because it will be so close to the window,the roots will get very cold at night, especially in clay..These plants like lot's of diffused or direct sunlight and warmth..The perfect place for these? In a greenhouse all winter...There they thrive, even in winter..

Mike

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Mike, you are right about clay pots getting too cold in winter-- I found that out with my orchids. The very features that make them great for cooling roots in summer works against you in winter.

Also, your point about close to the window getting quite cold at night in winter, dito. I measured my windowsills temperature one winter. With the shades up even a few inches, the windowsill area got below 32F on cold nights of 20F or below.

Never thought about the seedling mat for warmth, but definitely! Warm nights is the key to jasmine growth, IMO.

• mpetrizzle
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I managed to find enough room for the jasmine on the very small windowsill. it is now in front of the blinds. I also have a heat mat i used for reptiles that i will place underneath it.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Yes..

There are some jasmine species that actually need a very cool period to flower and perform well..But this is not one of those, along with Jasmine Duke..Some need very warm temps to produce well...

Jasmine Duke need consistent warm temps, at least the roots above 70 to fully open a flower bud..That is the only I could get mine to stay healthy and grow all winter...Once the heating matt came off too early, I lost all the flowers buds..:-(

Good luck...

MIke

• native_son
    13 years ago

I have the same problem with my jasmine, but some of the blooms are making it. It's in a classroom window, that has double panes and the temp doesn't drop as much for me at night, so that might be helping. I may be imagining it, but I think I was having more blooms shrivel up when I was just watering it once a week, but now that I'm watering it twice a week I haven't seen as many die. I've got it in a plastic pot, with no heat mat or anything (in Little Rock, AR).

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

We definitely know that if you were to stick your plant into a nice warm humid bright lit green house, the blossoms would open like crazy!

If I can at least keep my plants alive till the spring, I am happy..:-)

Mike

• native_son
    13 years ago

Some pics - first of a regular bloom (which variety of jasmine is this, by the way?), and then blooms that started out but shriveled up. You can see spaces in the middle of the nascent blooms that shouldn't be there.

{{gwi:812977}}

{{gwi:812978}}

• kemistry
    13 years ago

That's the Maid of Orleans (Moo)

My moo is having the same problem, though i never got a bud to bloom with a scent since Jan. It is very disappointing since I love this plant.

• mansi21c80
    8 years ago

Hi

My jasmine doesn't bloom. Even though it has large number of buds.

What should i do?

Propagating its stem in to the new pot will be the or can provide bloom?

When should i prune it?