Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meyermike_1micha

Finally! My 'YELLOW' flowering gardenia is starting to open! Pic

meyermike_1micha
12 years ago

I search high and low for years for this one and it really does flower yellow!

I hope it fully opens soon so I can get a nice whiff.

Mike:-)

{{gwi:111564}}

Comments (9)

• mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    12 years ago

WOW mike I had no idea there was a yellow. I did however know that if anyone could make one bloom, it would be you! great job.

mike

• yellowthumb
    12 years ago

Mike, you must be kidding. I have a golden gardenia, but not like yours, it's single flower. Is yours double?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    12 years ago

Congrats Mike! What a beauty. Is this the same cultivar known as 'Aurea' from Logee's or a different one?
    Dar

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Oh Mike, this looks like it is going to be such a nice looking gardenia. Has it opened all the way yet? It looks so healthy also. Nice job!

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Mike?

So good to see you over here! You have plenty of fragrant plants to post here. I would love to see them:-)

Lady:

You are the one with the big beautiful yard right? I wouldn't even have a need for this plant if I was surrounded by what you have.
    Sorry to report that I lost it! Yes, I did. I accidently shut the heat off in the greenhouse and was affected by temps of just 38 degrees for one hour. All that anticipation for a dropped bud.lol:-(

Dar:

Thanks. Yes I did get this one from Logee's and it was only abot 3 inches high at the time in early spring. It grew a lot. I love this one.

Yellow:

Lol. You do know it would be a bad thing for us to hang out right? We would cause each other to spend on all kinds of unusual plants. No have bo idea of how many plants I bought looking at yours. I am not sure about the flower since I didn't see it open fully:-(

Mike

• lou_spicewood_tx
    12 years ago

Wow. I was not aware that there was a yellow flowering gardenia. I must refuse... I must refuse..

• ladylotus
    12 years ago

Aw Mike, I'm sorry to hear that the temps caused your plant to drop it's flower bud. I completely understand though. My little greenhouse is jam packed with plants I can not grow outdoors. I hope my heater never goes out or I will bawl! I think it is a sickness...I can't stop with plants hardy to my area. I always need the challenge of pushing the envelope.

I even stopped reading the forum last year in hopes it would help me. Sadly, it did not and so I happily came back and love reading through various forums here. Such nice people and so much wonderful information.

Because of you I purchased Grand Duke of Tuscany jasmine. I should have waited until spring because I have it in my house and I don't think it will survive the winter. It is too dry in here and nothing seems to be helping it. One leaf at a time is slowly drying up. But it is fun to see what others are growing which gives me a good idea of what is out there and the growing requirements.

I hope you get another flower bud on your plant soon.

• meyermike_1micha
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Lady!

I was so upset, that I decided to have a small memorial service for it and then buried it next to my dead canary..lol

I had no idea I had such a positive impact on you. I'll bet you are just dying for your Duke to do something?
    How big is it and where does it reside? Does it take precedence over all your other plants for a sunny prime space?
    I can probably help you to get it to at least survive and hold on to its leaves if you let me?
    Check for pests too. I would keep a bottle of some kind of insecticidal soap around and spray it every other week anyway. Spider mites might be dropping, sucking the life out of your leaves and you would never know it unless you see them using a magnifying glass.

I hear you about pushing the envelope. That is me all over! I grow the most hardest plants to grow for the challenge and satisfaction of knowing that I can do it. Besides, doesn't it seem that the strongest fragrance indoor plants always come from the warmer regions?

You are right, the people here a just wonderful and I must add that, 'Yellowthumb' has been a huge influence on me for reaching out. He has accomplished so much in growing the most difficult plants and in Canada. I am always proud of him and he has shown me it can be done, along with many others here too of course.

I will post a pic if I should get another flower again.

May I suggest something? You can always buy a thermometer that will register when the temp drops to a certain point and sound an alarm in your home.
    Also, if you should loose electricity, you could always have a backup of a 'Propane Heater' you can get a Home Depot very cheap.

Lou:

You must get, you must get, you must get.....:-)

Mike

• birdsnblooms
    12 years ago

Hey Mike..Which Gardenia froze? The one w/orange flowers? OMG!!! Or was it another? Toni