Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gardenias, bare root

Posted by hopefulauthor z5IL (hopefulauthor@sbcglobal.net) on
Sat, Nov 26, 11 at 17:21

Hello. Today I received 4 bare-root, variegated Gardenias. They were shipped from Thailand.

The instructions said to place in water for 30 mins. They're in water now.

My question is, what size pot should they go in, and what type of soil?

I have a 16-yr-old potted Gardenia, but cannot recall if I used African Soil or Succulent soil, among other mediums for drainage.

Thanks much, Toni

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gardenias, bare root

I would use the succulent soil myself.
If that is your only choice.
You could make your own mix up also, if you wanted to.
But for now, if you don't mind repotting them in the future, use the succulent soil.
Congrats on your new babies.
Your good with plants, so I am sure they will be blooming up a storm for you in no time.

o
RE: Gardenias, bare root

Hi Butterfly...for some reason I didn't get an email when you responded, even though I checked the box.

I ended up potting in succulent soil w/some All-Purpose. (for nutricion.)

The seller sent a huge plastic bag to keep Gardenias inside. She also suggested a bright location, 'only problem is there's no sun to speak of here.' So, they're near a lamp.

Thanks, Butterfly. I pray they survive, but after 20+ days in transit, is iffy.

Toni

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here