Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenghoul

My most favorite orchid...Love this Fragrance!!!

blutayle
11 years ago

It is that time of year again...for George King Serendipity...in all his glory...the fragrance is amazing. My favorite favorite orchid...

{{gwi:206948}}

Comments (9)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Wow! Gorgeous! Can you describe its scent? Perfume, citrus, musky, fruity, etc?
    Is it easy to grow?
    Thank you for sharing your photos!

-Robert

• blutayle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Robert,

It is not your typical musky Catt scent..it is more powdery floral and changes as it ages...the lighting does not do the color justice ...it is more of a heavily diamond dusted apricot or salmon color...it is easy to grow here in Florida...almost a weed except in the humid summer have to watch for rot and fungus. It is funny though, I wait each year for it and am like a little kid at Christmas when I see the buds break through the sheath.

11 years ago

She is a beauty! I too would be excited to watch its flowers open. :)
    Heck, I'm sure I'd bug every visitor and make them smell it. Laugh.

-Robert

• olympia_gardener
    11 years ago

blutayle , Fragrant or not, I just love these beautiful colors. How easy to take care of it and make it blooms?

• blutayle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Olympia...
    These orchids are really beginner orchids because they dont have fussy culture requiremets. Given correct amount of light these orchids bloom off of every new growth as long as plant has reached blooming age. Mine survive Florida summers with some shade and I take them into my garage when the nights get into the low to mid 40's. I really ignore the plant all year with some occasional weak feedings every other week and the occasional Phyton 27 spray to keep the rot in check due humidity and excessive rains in the summer. Once dry season hits...and humidity levels drop they really come into their own...although I ignore it mostly all year as a no fuss plant...it is the only plant I look at and fuss with for the next few weeks with its amazing flowers and fragrance...now if it could just bloom like this on and off all year lol

• meyermike_1micha
    11 years ago

O.M.G! Would you believe that I ordered one of these just two days ago!?

Now after looking at yours, I am so glad I did! I got it, ok another sin, for 14.99 on sale and it has two sheaths on it ready to bloom. I can't wait now.
    Of course, I'll never get it as beautiful as yours. What a beauty!
    Someone told me it almost smells like Citrus and Vanilla mixed, of course, my favorite two scents:0(
    Beautiful and great job:-)
    I would say not only dos the Florida weather make them grow so well, but also your green thumb. I know many that fail these, even in Florida.

Hello Annie! We shall shat soon. I have been so sick my friend. These flowers just made my day. I would think any orchid would LOVE the Florida weather if kept under a tree. I WISH I could be in environment that allows me to grow thousands of fragrant flowers.

Hello Robert, I hope all is well with you:-)

MIke

11 years ago

Hi Mike!

I see as usual you're one step ahead of us when it comes to orchids. ;)
    With so many endorsements I might just have to order one myself. :)

-Robert

• blutayle
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Mike,

Thanks for comments and thanks to everyone for their nice comments...wish I could take credit but it is all mother nature. Five sheaths on this baby...grew like a weed this year...12 huge flowers...got it from Phelps Farm down the road from me last summer for about 30bucks...you found yourself a steal Mike...too me the smell is decidedly feminine...not heady musky like most Catts...you are gonna love it!

• roseyd
    11 years ago

it's really beautiful. ... you WILL not tempt me to collect orchids... (I'm saying this in my head as a mantra)

I have 5 different types of Jasmine, if I move in on the the many varied types of orchids I'll have to take off the roof and build a second floor so I'll have room for the 100s of varieties I'd then have difficulties saying "no" over... although, if I removed the roof - I could probably then raise the ceiling, add taller windows and sky-lights (lets not forget those ) and get me some plumies too... :D

Not that this is supposed to be about me. ;)

Beautiful blossoms.