Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Magnolia figo (Michelia) in bloom

Posted by musaboru (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 17:49

I had been neglecting this plant and the buds that were forming on it didn't grow much. At least the ones I could see. The leaves were turning yellow as well lol. I was moving it to another spot and noticed that banana/bubble-gum smell and that's when I spotted the flower in the middle of the plant. Seems like a lot of the flower buds dropped though from my neglect. :( Took these pictures about 10 minutes ago :P

100_0088

100_0091

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Magnolia figo (Michelia) in bloom

Beautiful.. Is it portwine?

o

I doubt it's Port Wine which is suppose to be more purple. Often times the flowers on my plant do not exhibit that much color.

Here's a pic of it from May earlier this year. And this is the more typical flower color from the same plant. Light blush inside and light picotee.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I was thinking about getting one of these. how often does your blooms?

o

Roughly, my plant seems to bloom about every 3~4 months. The last time it bloomed was in August. Spring-time sees the most abundant flowers.

Check out a different variety called 'Hagiwara Everblooming' on Nurcar's catalog.

o

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 24, 10 at 19:09

He thinks his is probably 'Port Wine', it makes flowers like yours (I've seen his specimen many times in person).

Maybe it is one of those instances where seedlings have been raised from a variant and put on the market, so that there are less purple ones around that resemble the original 'Port Wine'.

But are less purple. I see the same type as yours (and his) offered at local outlets as the typical plant, without cultivar designation.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant of the Month: June 2002

o

Wow! My little M figo Skinneriana (from Almost Eden) that's had buds on it, finally opened three of them this morning. Such a lovely scent. I just love it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here