Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find Chuck Hayes Hardy Gardenias?

Posted by Oath5 z7 MD (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 05 at 17:52

I've heard they are great for our zone, I haven't been able to find any online except for mail-order...and that's complicated, I don't know if the plants will be small and stuff...now obviously I can't plant any now that's it's almost December, but is it worth to contact a local nursuries and see if they can try to get some in the spring? That they are somewhat substaintial in size already, I'm sure they'd be a hit up here, yet nobody seems to know they exist.....anyway, I posted this in both the Mid-Atlantic and here, since you guys know so much about fragrant stuff, and well, gardenias are fragrant....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find Chuck Hayes Hardy Gardenias?

• Posted by JimShy z7 Brooklyn, NY (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 6, 05 at 11:24

I don't see why local nurseries wouldn't carry Chuck Hayes or other hardy gardenias; you're close enough to the Mason/dixon line for people to consider gardenias a proper part of a garden.

However, don't be put off by mail order -- some of the more reputable nurseries are quite honest about telling you exactly how big a plant you'll be getting, and their quality is just as good as local nurseries.

Good luck!

Jim

o

• Posted by Mare2 5bSt.Louis (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 20, 05 at 15:02

I agree with Jim on mail order, but do contact your local nurseries, too. In fact, if possible, go in and talk to them in person. I learned a long time ago that if you get to know the people who own your local nurseries, the good ones will often order what you want because it's good business. Some even keep "request lists." I even had the manager of a box store order some things for me once. Plus, as you must know if you're here, gardeners are just inherently lovely people!

o

carroll gardens in westminster md carries kleins hardy gardenia is chuck hayes more hardy than kleins? I bought kleins and it died. but carroll gardens has a great plant selection and i would think that they would carry the most hardy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here