Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My Brassavola nodosa orchid finally bloomed!

Posted by robert1971 6b (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 30, 11 at 19:15

The flower pod split open last night and the petals started unfolding. Tonight it appears to be fully open or almost? So far no scent. :(
I don't know if that happens later in the evening (it's around 6pm right now) or if it must be absolutely dark for scent production or what.
I've read in 'Bloom-Again Orchids' by Judy White that many strains have little to no scent and it's best to smell before you buy. I'm crossing my fingers that mine will turn out to have a heady scent! :)

-Robert

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My Brassavola nodosa orchid finally bloomed!

Follow up notes: Went to dinner and came home around 8 and was able to detect a light scent (not heady). Reminded me of Bouvardia Longiflora? I'm hoping that the scent will be stronger tonight.

-Robert

o

Hi Robert,

Most orchids will not produce much of a scent when they first open, and brassavola is no exception. You need to wait a couple of days before the blossom has matured enough to produce a stronger scent. Orchids follow very different rules than most plants :-)

However, the fact that you already noticed a fragrance from it is a very good sign. Once more blossoms open and mature you will notice the scent in all areas of your house starting at 7-8 pm. The scent is incredibly pervasive but never overpowering.

As for fragrance quality, I think it is one of the best. It has a spicy floral aroma with medicinal undertones and hints of...bacon! Yes, that does indeed sound strange (even unappealing), but once you experience it you will become addicted. It is unique, delicious and wonderful!

o

Hi Ispahan!

Thanks for your input as usual.
Your bacon comment made me laugh. I envisioned Homer Simpson drooling as he says 'Mmmm...bacon'! ;)

-Robert

o

Dang Rob!

Wouldn't you know it. I couldn't pull your picture here at work. I will do it at home though.

Congrats buddy. If I like what I see, guess what my next plant will be? lol

Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here