Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantas_gw

Angels Trumpet (deadly flower )

plantas
18 years ago

excerpt from a newspaper...

Flower power can be deadly

Derrik Chidley heard good and bad stories about getting high from an angels' trumpet flower.

But he decided to test the effects on his own.

The 18-year-old was alone on a Friday night at his uncle's home. He said he became curious.

"I went to my neighbor's yard and picked four flowers that I knew were angels' trumpets," Chidley said. "I put on a movie, put the flowers in a pot and boiled them so I could make tea from it."

The angels' trumpet flower is often found in home gardens and is known for its distinct fragrance.

Experts said all parts of the plant are poisonous.

"I remember feeling hot so I took off my jacket and then it felt like I was floating and then I started gagging," Chidley said. "I couldn't breathe, like when you get the wind knocked out of you."

Chidley said he tried repeatedly to stand up but was unable to maintain his balance and kept falling over.

"I felt like I was going to die, like I was suffocating. I kept freaking out but I thought it was just the high so I tried to make myself relax," he said.

Chidley drank the tea around 11 p.m. His cousin found him passed out in the bathroom a few hours later.

"They thought he was overdosing on LSD because of the way he was reacting," Chidley's mother, said.

Other teens who were admitted for ingesting angels' trumpets. Many of them didn't survive.

Dr. Martin Stoner, a professor of botany at Cal Poly Pomona, said that people should think twice before experimenting with plants and flowers.

"The trouble is most people are ignorant about plants and their chemistry. Experimentation is risky business," said Stoner, who specializes in poisonous plants. "The hallucinations caused from angels' trumpet are there, but they come at a very painful experience."

Comments (28)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Plantas, yes, I've read horror stories about this plant. 3 years ago many teens were experimenting w/this plant..some are now crippled, others have died.
    All parts of this plant are poisonous, including leaves, stems, branches. I've one but keep in a small gh because I've got birds and dont' want to risk them landing on this plant and taking a bite.

There's a frog in Fl where if one licks the spit off their tongue, they will hallucinate. I remember reading many teens were violently ill, but can't recall if any were fatal. Why and how do ppl think to lick spit off a frogs tongue or boil flowers of a plant? I don't understand..Toni

• MaKoShark
    18 years ago

Yes, unfortunately there are always people...

Brugmansia belongs in the same family as a whole plethora of other plants that are poisonous. Nobody in his right mind eats the leaves of potato plants, or munches Belladonna berries (well, at least not twice).

Yet, some overzealous bureaucrats want to categorically prohibit one from planting a Brugmansia in a private garden (in certain cities), but find nothing by planting Rhizinus communis close to a playground or having hedges of Nerium oleander ....

Sigh.

• jeff_al
    18 years ago

there are idiots everywhere. we can't be responsible for their wrongful habits. i have several poisionous plants in the garden including brugs, oleander, pokeweed(not by planting myself but it is native), ivy, ricinis, etc.
    i won't stop growing them because there are self-destructive morons living in the community. the good doctor is right with his recommendations about experimentation.
    another reason that it is good to live in a rural area if there are actually plant-banners out to regulate the selections for our gardens.

• rusty_blackhaw
    18 years ago

"Other teens who were admitted for ingesting angels' trumpets. Many of them didn't survive."

I wonder what statistics there are to back up the "many deaths" claim. Sounds like media hype.

• isobella
    18 years ago

kids and not kids. I am 60 and had several brugmansias (angel's trumpet) diferent varieties and color of flowers, always proud of them when in bloom. One day I started pruning and making cuttings, it was a hot day and probably my forehead was sweting, I probably rubbed my eyes or all of my face with my hands and I probably had a lot of juice from the cuttings on my hands.
    I felt kinda dizzie, something wrong was going on, I thought it was the heat. I go to take a shower look myself in the mirror and my pupils were huuuuuuuge and black (I have blue very light blue eyes) I looked like an alien. In panic I thought I was having a stroke or...? went to the emergencie room. It took 2 hrs for the symptoms to go away and I only handled the juices of the plant with my hands.
    So be aware from poisunous plants. I do not wish this experience to anyone. take care

• karmicrevival
    18 years ago

I was at a house not long ago that had a HUGE... maybe 7 -8 foot tall trumpet flower plant in full bloom... and it was stunning. So, I knew I had to have one.

After doing a bit of research Ifound out that rubbing the flowers on your inner arms is the "proper" way to experience the effects of the angel's trumpet - so do be careful about not rubbing it on you.

.. I'm guessing the kids ingest them because that's how they get the effects of the mushrooms they gather/buy and (wrongly) assume that the angel's trumpet would be "used" the same way. Lots of things can kill people (especially curious foolhardy teens) and we don't eliminate the them.. we just try and educate the people (i.e. don't stop your car on the railroad crossing as opposed to "no railroad crossings shall be allowed in this city").

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

There are tons of semi-wild angel trumpets in the empty land near our house in SC. My sister and I used to go collecting the white flowers and drink the honey in it. The trick is that you do not eat anything. You plug the flower off, suck the thin end. There is lots of sweet honey in it. Our neighbors always scold us when they see us doing it. They reported it to our parents. We told our Mom that we never did that. We did it for a few years, we never get sick.

• greenthumdfamily
    18 years ago

Hello, i have 8 of these plants growing in my yard and yes they are toxic but so pretty anyway here's my story about them one morning i was cutting them back and i touched the stems and in about an hour after my hands and fingers were burning and i had no feeling in them this lasted for 3 weeks so now i wear gloves.

• redblaize
    15 years ago

Gosh...I've always suspected that I have a Guardian Angel. I have 6 huge bushes of Angel Trumpets that I have crawled under, over, and all around. I've taken clippings in 2' sections from the whole bush until it was cut to the ground. Sap has oozed all over me from the cuttings and especially onto my face, due to having long hair and not keeping it in a ponytail. I'm extremely allergic to poison ivey, poison oak, bee stings etc... I'm surprised to find that I've had no reaction that I can relate to an Angel Trumpet. In fact I was just outside trying to get them mulched before the freeze tonight and came into a lot of skin contact by crawling around under them. However,"Knock-on-Wood" now, I'll try to be more careful in my ignorance and count my blessings to this point. BTW...my stupid cat that gets into everything seems to have not had a problem yet either. I definitely do not want my luck to run out and I sure don't want my teen and her friends to get any ideas from this site....An analogy of Mushrooms to Angel Trumpets could tempt a Saint! LOL

• birdsnblooms
    15 years ago

Red, mind if I ask which state you live in?
    Angel's Trumpet's common name, is coined for several plant varieties.
    The plant, Plantas is referring to is either Datura or Brugmansia. Brugs are cold sensitive, and if grown outdoors freezing temps can freeze them.
    Here in Il, Brugsmania's relative is Datura. A large-leaf plant with long, 7-9" white flowers that seem to glow at night.
    Datura grows like a weed. I bought a baby Datura (before I knew about its hallucinegetic high,) from an elderly man who sows various seeds in winter. It was potted in a Dixie Cup, price .10. 1 plant turned into hundreds..lol.
    After flowering, huge seed pods form. Pods open, seeds drop, while winds scatter them throughout the area. They even managed to grow in the back yard, from the front!! We have two dogs, so anytime I see this plant sprouting, it's plucked ASAP.
    Any teen who knows what it does, could pick leaves/flowers/seeds. The entire plant is toxic, but I dont know which part causes hallucinations.
    If someone decided to eat from Datura, got sick or worse, we could be sued..We'd be held responsible, not to mention, guilt and anguish.

So, please be careful when you're around this plant, if it's Angel Trumpet. Leaves are fuzzy and emit a foul odor. They stink!!
    What color are your flowers?
    Datura grows mound-like, Brugmania uprgiht/tree-shaped.
    Perhaps you do have a Guardian Angel: I'd thank her for her/his help.

Do you have a pic? Toni

• cold_inside1_yahoo_com
    14 years ago

(deadly flower)not all true angel trumpet may be a deadly flower if you drink to much, i am a experience angel trumpet user, and as long as you drink a little amount of the flower after boiling it you will be fine ,now it has side affects of course like any drug but if you use the right ammount than you will be fine. and yes it does make you trip.

• nancyl_2009
    14 years ago

I think I saw some of these in a hotel garden in Western Turkey last week. They had spiny seed pods about 4 cm in diameter. Does this information compute for this plant?

• birdsnblooms
    14 years ago

Nancy, the seeds you described sound like those of Angel Trumpet/Datura. Datura grows wild here, too, every spring, summer and early fall I have to dig them up.
    To think, it started with one plant bought for .10 in a Dixie Cup. At the time I had no idea they were 1. poisonous and 2. prolific. One baby seedling started a forest of Datura.

Cold, doesn't this drink make you hallucinate? Aren't you afraid? lol.
    My ex dh used to drink Coleus tea for the same reason, notice I said 'ex?' Just be careful. Toni

• ljeller
    13 years ago

It is speculated that Angel's Trumpet killed my brother. He died July 20, 2010 after ingesting them in some form. They found the flowers in his backpack. We're waiting on the official autopsy report to confirm.

• beceeingyou
    13 years ago

Had these in my garden (in buried pots) a couple of years ago. Too much trouble for too little return, and I really don't like poison in my garden. Too many other wonderful choices.

ljeller, so sorry to hear your words.

• zathras
    13 years ago

Just too many stupid people around along with knee-jerk hysteria. I use to use jimson weed seeds all the time for colds - dries the membranes right up. They are by far the best medicine I've found for that use. Most anything, including water, can be toxic in large enough doses.

• meyermike_1micha
    13 years ago

Ljeller,

I am sorry about the loss of your brother...

Mike

• shopinqueenxx_aol_com
    13 years ago

This is just too unreal about the Angel Trumpet. Must be a different variety. I only know my'ne are called Angels Trumpet. I bought a little growing stem from a elderly lady who potted them in many colors. Nothing was said about them being poison. She would probably be dead as well as my husband and I. My'ne gets about 15ft. Georgeous pink upside down trumpets. I have potted cutting for everyone I know. North Tx. does'nt have as much growing luck. I havent tried to eat them ! I have bought a purple double that died last year and is coming back now. You people must have another strain.I will find out from the little old lady I bought them from. I bought more online. Now don't you know they could be sued???

• Asclep-fan
    13 years ago

I am a Registered Nurse in Austalia. I grow both Brugmansia and Datura. I have no intention of ingesting any of them although I am no 'wowser' if you know what I mean. I have been growing them both for years. The Brugs are vigorous growers and I have never experienced any ill effects when pruning. The Brugs have large fragrant trumpet flowers. They turn their fragrance on at about 1800hrs in the evening. Can almost set your watch by them. Beautiful flowers!

• abq_bob
    13 years ago

I've grown datura for years and never experienced any ill effects from pruning or other regular garden maintenance. If you knew how many deadly plants were in your garden, you'd plant cement. Potatoes and tomatoes among them.

• cyndiecas_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I just got a Rottweiler puppy, who is obsessed with my vine. He will chew on the bark & pick leaves off. I think after reading all of these posts, I think I will be cutting it down. BTW, my neighbors who are Thai, harvest the flowers but would never tell me why. I guess I now know.
    Thanks

• leahrenee1
    12 years ago

I think that a lot of you seem to be naming plants that are not datura or brugmansia from the descriptions that you are giving. Those of you who know what they are growing you will be fine if you just excercise a bit of common sense.
    If you don't like anything "toxic" in your yard you had better make sure that you have no potatos, tomatos, oleander, azeala, elephant ears, euphorbia, jasmine... and a whole lot of other stuff in your yard. :)

• koch_doug_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I keep honey bees and they love these in the late afternoon and early evening. Anyone know if the pollen could be deadly to bees as I have lost most of my hives but never thought they would go after something that was bad for them. I keep planting more as they are very good in the summer through the fall.

• eatstheweeds
    9 years ago

Soak a few flowers and SMALL twigs in 1/2 vodka1/2 coconut oil in a glass jar for a few hours and apply to sprains or arthritis, this magical plant will numb the area for about 24 hours depending on how much foliage you add to the jar.

• Sylvia Chaney
    8 years ago

I live in Florida, born & raised. I have Angel Trumpets on both sides of my yard. Never have I had adverse reactions from taking care of them but wouldn't be stupid enough to ingest any part of the plant. Better safe than sorry!

• Kahea Kruse
    3 years ago

The toadthat that ”birdsnblooms” mentioned, is the cane toad, and It’s not the saliva of the toad, it’s the milky secretion that ooze from 2 large venom glands on either side of its head. When they get excited or threatened, they will start to inflate themselves by gulping in air, which in turn causes the venom glands to ooze a milky white substance. In some cultures, around which cane toads are natively found, would actually irratate the toad lightly with thorns or sticks, then collected the milky liquid and dry it, then turn it into a fine powder. They would then mix the powdered toad toxin with other various plants and ashes to make a drink that brings on visions, similar to yopo

• socalgigi
    2 years ago

wow just bought one, now i want to get rid of it, would it kill the birds?