Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Fragrant passion flowers

I'm sort of obsessed with passifloras.
I've tried a few fragrant varieties and thought I'd share my experiences with everyone. :)

My favorite for ease of bloom and for a great fragrance is Passiflora x alatocaerulea aka Passiflora x belotii.
The scent is very hard to describe but I love it.
It doesn't waft and you have to stick your nose into the bloom but I think it's worth it.

My fav for fragrance is Passiflora x decaisneana however it's a huge vine that needs a lot of space and takes a year or more to finally start blooming. It bloomed inside in a sunny room after growing outside all year. To my nose it smelled like a Damask Rose. So for those with short growing seasons and no room indoors or who don't have a greenhouse I wouldn't suggest this variety.

I've also tried P. mooreana which to me smelled like funky grape soda. P. serratifolia smells like sugary Easter candy. It's just okay to me.

Hopefully P. venusta (rose scented?) will bloom for me next year along with P. 'Preciosa' (heavy floral fragrance?).

Of course one day I hope to sniff P. colinvauxii (honeysuckle?), P. gibertii (daisy, strong, sweet fragrance?), P. cyanea (vanilla pipe tobacco?), etc.

I've attached a photo from The Essence of Paradise by Tovah Martin. She suggests several passifloras for fragrance.
One of my favorite books for fragrance suggestions. :)

Anybody else have any fragrant passion flowers they would like to suggest?

-Robert

Comments (6)