Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
persona_gw

Is It O.K. To Have A Large Jasmine Plant In A Small Bedroom for T

Persona
18 years ago

Does anyone know if it's O.K. to winter over a large Sambac Jasmine plant in a small bedroom (only room that gets pretty good light up North here in the Winter :-( A person sleeps in the room every night. I only ask becuase I've read that they are poisonous. I've had it outside on the porch all Summer and it's done great. I did take a cutting from it just in case the mother plant doesn't make it. If any of you fine people out there in GardenWeb zone have any helpful info on if it's a healthy choice to place it in a bedroom, and also, info on keeping a Jasmine alive over the Winter, I would sure be grateful :-) Thanks.

Comments (15)

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Persona, I doubt this plant is poisonous..they make tea from Jasmine leaves.
    I have several types of jasmines in my house, including the bedroom. In fact, I place one in there for the sole purpose of its night fragrance.
    I also have birds, and if a scent was toxic my birds would be in trouble. Don't worry..enjoy your jasmine..Toni

• jview
    18 years ago

Hi Persona.

I too have overwintered a large jasmine in my bedroom with no ill effects, so enjoy. However I believe that jasmine tea contains the spent jasmine flowers with normal tea leaves, not jasmine leaves(a small point). Jerry

• siliconmage
    18 years ago

I think it will do fine as long as the humidity is +50%, and it gets some light with temperatures above 55 degrees. I have 5 varieties of Jasmine Sambac on my front porch.

• Persona
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the info everyone. Now I feel safer then I did. I was just concerned because of something I heard (or thought I heard, as sometimes happens to all of us ;-)about Sambac being poisonous. Boy, I hope the plant makes it through the low light days of Winter up here in New York. I also have two well rooted cuttings off my beautiful Night Jasmine plant (which was Jack and the Bean Stalk size, I keep wondering why everyone asked if I found any golden eggs around the pot it was in :-) that was fabulous this Summer and they are doing good now, but I can only hope they too make it through the Winter Solstice :-)

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

There's a lot of confusion because of many plants which have a 'jasmine' type scent. Being poisonous depends on what family the particular plant belongs to.
    Night blooming jessamine (Cestrum)is poisonous, belonging to the tobacco family. (same with day-blooming)
    Carolina Jessamine (Gelsimium)is in the strychnine family and is poisonous, even the honey.
    Confederate Jasmine is in the dogbane family and is also poisonous.
    Jasminum sambac and other Jasminums are in the Olive family. Sambac comes in lots of varieties from single to double to triple. All the flowers are used in tea.
    kevin

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    18 years ago

I suppose if you had several hundred plants in your bedroom, then you might have to worry about CO2 production. In the meantime, however, the person sleeping next to you will also be competing for oxygen and releasing CO2, so why not banish him/her to the living room, too? :-)

• wliu7
    18 years ago

Certainly it is your personal choice. However, I still want to suggest everbody here never ever put "Night Blooimng Jasmine" in the bed room. It is poisonous. Its leaves, flowers and even its smell are all harmful for your health (just check the references of the plant or google it).

You want to be a happy gardener. Also you want to be a healthy gardener too.

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

I agree about keeping plants in bedroom..My bedroom, and every other room is packed w/plants.
    Bedrooms contain, jasmines, citrus, natal plum, dracaenas, ficus, and palms..I've been in this house 18 yrs now, and we're all fine and healthy. Just look at my pictures by clicking on my name..Alive and well, Toni

• chills71
    18 years ago

I've had a large jasmine in one of my bedrooms all winter long ever since I saw that my neighbor threw it out one cold January night (4 years ago).

My wife was pretty miffed that I took the plant from the neighbor's trash (it was January and I got it at 1 in the morning). She has since agreed that it was a great save. It goes into bloom 3-4 times a winter for me.

~Chills

• birdsnblooms
    18 years ago

Chills, you lucked out..Wonder why your neighbor tossed it..lol..
    Some ppl buy or received plants for the holidays, then toss them in 'Jan'
    The only thing I'd worry about is if someone tossed a plant due to bugs..(like mealy)

I wouldn't worry about sleeping w/plants..In fact, thats' why they call them clean Air Machines.
    In my br I have peace lily, dracaena draco, Maid of Orleans jasmine, 2 citrus, 5 palms, 2 Rubber trees, (ficus) an unknown plant, Dracanea marginata, Ylang-Ylant..In summer when these plants are outside, I add 2 big windowboxes of begonisa,...Toni

• monarda_gw
    18 years ago

I think there is a misunderstanding here. Like other living creatures, plants respire and thus use oxygen. But plants also make oxygen and remove pollutants. This beneficial effect of plant life makes it possible for us to live on this earth!

It is true that they don't make oxygen in the absence of sunlight and that they continue to respire (use tiny amounts of oxygen) at night. But so does your wife or husband or dog or cat. And I am sure that they use much much less than these. If it were bad to sleep in a room with a large plant (weighing, say, five pound), how much worse it would be to share a bedroom with a large person (weighing a hundred pounds) or several -- and domitories -- forget it!

The real problem about sharing living quarters, as I see it, is that plants like much higher humidity and cooler nights than most people are comfortable with. There can be a danger of funguses that enjoy these dank conditions. However, the problem can be allieviated by using a small fan to circulate the air, cracking the window, and making sure there is lots of healthy, cleansing sunshine during the day. I personally cannot sleep in a stuffy room and most houseplants prefer the air to be moving at all times. I think the benefits of living with plants, outdoors and in, far outweigh any theoretical drawbacks.

By the way, some plants are reputed to give off oxygen at night as well as during the day -- namely, snake plant, bromileads, and orchids. I cannot vouch for the truth of this, but pass it on for your information.

Here is a link that might be useful: purifying the air with plants

• shic_2006
    18 years ago

monarda, you are exactly right. The other human in your bed consumes large amount of oxygen. At the same time, he/she produces large amount of CO2. People snore and pass gas. These noise and gases (such as SO2) produced by your loved ones are harmful to your health. I would recommend you to put some cacti and peacelilies in your bedroom. They are organic air-filtering machines.

• sunsi
    18 years ago

LOL...this thread was a riot to read. I hope thread author's plant made it through the winter...mine did in this NY weather :)

Then I got caught up in "hopefulauthor's" family photo's page because it was amazing to see how plants, animals and even humans thrive under her care, lol...this wasn't a bad thread at all :D

• buyorsell888
    18 years ago

LOL is right. I've had houseplants in my bedroom since I was twelve years old. I'm 42 and just fine!

True Jasmines, Jasminum species are NOT poisonous either.

The problem with using common names instead of Latin ones is all the confusion it can cause such as with some plants called Jasmine that aren't.