Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
moonwolf_gw

My Very First Osmanthus Fragrans (Pictures)

moonwolf_gw
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I just got my new Osmanthus fragrans plant yesterday from Almost Eden Plants and to my suprise it's in bloom! I think I've found my new favorite floral scent! I repotted it yesterday in a mix of MG potting soil and added some perlite to the mix (I put gravel from the driveway in the bottom of the pot for weight and drainage). It's setting in a south window (I could move it to an east window that's in my bedroom). Does it sound like it will be happy? I just hope I can keep it alive (they're fairly easy to grow from what I've been reading). Here's the pictures I took today of it. So far, everyone's that's smelled it is in love with it!

Plant

{{gwi:113437}}

Flowers (Don't judge a book by it's cover! They may be small but they are powerfully fragrant!)

{{gwi:113438}}

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Comments (10)

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Beautiful big plant! I have read that Osmanthus is the one scent that everyone likes. Sounds like you're verifying that :)

I don't know about the gravel at the bottom of the pot. A clay pot gives you plenty of weight, and has the added benefit of making it harder to overwater.

For light, I don't think you can beat a south window, but if you have outdoor space, I would limit the indoor time to winter.

It will benefit from being put outside next spring and being kept out all summer.

Enjoy your beautiful plant.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, mehitabel!

Our Wal-Mart has terra cotta pots for $1.00 each! I picked up four of them (three six inch, one smaller one that was 85 cents and the saucer with it was only 50 cents) that I repotted some of my hoyas into and the small one I put cuttings in for my friend for Christmas. Anyhow, I'm thinking of putting it into a terra cotta pot. I think they look more old fashioned. I put gravel in the bottom of those terra cotta pots and they still drain nicely and are a little sturdier (you never know when accidents will happen).

I will definitely put it outside in the spring. Almost all my houseplants go outdoors for the spring and summer.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• User
    13 years ago

Brad,
    Congratulations!
    The sweet olive is beautiful!
    She's blooming too? Awesome!
    Welcome to your new addiction!
    I love the fragrance of the sweet olive, and the bigger they get the more fragrant!
    I wish I could bottle that scent, I would make a fortune....
    Anyway, she will love the sun in the summer.
    SO, put her in your south facing window for sun in the winter, she will bloom better there also.
    They love humidity, so try not to have it right next to a heating vent.
    Now you will see why everyone is so addicted to these plants to a fault.

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Butterfly,

Mom said that if they'd make a perfume of it, she'd wear it! I bought five terra cotta pots and saucers at Wal-Mart today (they were being discontinued for the year and I bought some the week before last at the same prices) and I'm going to repot her in one of them. There are vents (two) in the room it's in (the hobby room where the computer is, right beside me and I can catch whiffs of it) and it's surrounded by a few of my other houseplants (hoyas), two of which I set humidity trays (piepans with the gravel in them) so I think she'll be pretty happy. Oh I named her Kakyuu (Japanese for fireball) after a character in a anime/manga series called Sailor Moon (she's a princess that bears this fragrance and has the flower motif in her outfit). I'll post a link to her picture and theme. In the picture, she's the one wearing the red dress. I could take a nap with the fragrance in the air and this song playing.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Here is a link that might be useful: Princess Kakyuu's Theme

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Moonwolf, that's exactly how I felt when I first encountered a sweet olive over twenty years ago. I was in a nursery, and followed a lovely scent to a gnarled old plant, severely pruned back to a trunk thicker than my thumb with tiny white flowers on it. Had never known such a beautiful thing existed.

Took it home of course!

Your plant will love living with someone who breathes life and love on it every day. Enjoy!

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mehitabel, thank you for the nice complements! How long did you have your plant?

Brad AKA Moonwolf

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

I had it for several years, but gave it up for some reason I forget, probably too busy for it. Then I had it again about 6 years ago, and have it still again now.

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

Hi Brad,
    Is that the Auranticus variety?

• Dar Sunset Zone 18
    13 years ago

I mean var. Aurantiacus? Just asking because the flowers look kinda yellow/orange in the second pic. I read that it has a slightly different scent from the other Osmanthus...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• moonwolf_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Nope, just plain old Osmanthus fragrans. The flowers are a creamy yellow color but they aren't the flaming orange color of Auratiacus.

How does everyone like the song?

Brad AKA Moonwolf