Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvlilies

Most fragrant Jasmine

luvlilies
19 years ago

I am considering purchasing a jasmine and would like to know which one is the most fragrant. Thanks for any help!

Comments (57)

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

Hey what happened to my picture... I swear it was there yesterday... I know the sambac always has flowers in season.
    I love all the flowers, they each have their own charm and the combination of wafts is wonderful... real potpourri!!
    Here's the Angelwing picture.

{{gwi:813805}}

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

I think they are blocking my pictures. They both were there in the preview... and now they are both gone... wierd!!!!!!
    So you like the Maid of Belle of India more than the Grand Duke scent?

• mehitabel
    19 years ago

Angel, your pictures are there. My ndoze is sometimes a problem, and I don't pick up some scents as strong as other people to do.

The Belle of India is stronger to me than the Grand Duke, also a "brighter" scent. So, the answer is yes, for me the Belle is better.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

I don't get it, I can't see the pictures, Just a red X in box, it was that way at work too! Does everyone see the pictures?

• Mandy D
    19 years ago

I don't see the pictures either! I love all the Sambacs but I also love Poet's Jasmine which I believe is also J. Officinale. (Supannee I thought Spanish Jasmine was also known as Azoricum?!) Officinale is the one they make many French perfumes out of. I have the grandiflora variety and it smells so lovely, wafts and blooms almost year round for me.
    Mehitabel I don't smell my Nitidium either. Maybe its the size of the plant.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

Angelhair Jasmine: Tying picture again.
    {{gwi:813806}}

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

AngelSmell, GardenWeb prohibits the use of copyrighted pictures and will block them from showing up. Usually, you get a warning when this happens. If the pictures aren't yours, be sure to give credit to the owner of the pictures. That way, there is no confusion. Also, be sure to obtain permission to post someone's elses picture. I get mad when people use mine unless they ask me first.

The last picture is from Almost Eden Plants. It looks like the second picture belongs to Htop? The first picture is from the plants database and belongs to Thaumaturgist.

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

The second picture is also from plants database and belongs to Htop, a member.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

That's nice if you know who's pictures they are, but if you post a picture on the internet it's pretty much for anyone to download otherwise they wouldn't post them on a internnational domain. I would be very happy if someone wanted one of my photos, I tell people when they are my photos and the only reason I would post a picture is if
    I wanted to get information about the plant or to show the
    rest of the world what it looks like. I guess I'm a liberal and always have been. I don't see fault in a nice thing like sharing pretty pictures of flowers. There's more things in this world to be upset about, don't sweat the small stuff life is too short!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• chippi
    19 years ago

AngelSmell,

Haven't you heard of copyright protection law?

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

AngelSmell, just because there are more things in life to be upset about, doesn't change the fact that copying and reproducing copyrighted photos is illegal and immoral. You may not see the fault in it, but I assure you that others do. It is also a violation of GardenWeb rules to do this. If you continue to post copyrighted pictures, you may find yourself no longer a member. Please do us all a favor and play by the rules, which will make everyone happy so we can continue to help you with your plant questions.

• sambac
    19 years ago

Alright, alright getting back to topic, you guys should try J. Azoricum, it has a truly deilghtful fragrance an down here in S. Florida it seems to be in bloom 12 months a year- give it a try. Got mine from Logees.

• kandhi
    19 years ago

Sambac,
    I love j.azoricum too. I got my plant from logees, but it takes for ever to grow. It is still 7inch in my 4inch pot. Is it a slow grower?

• sambac
    19 years ago

No kandhi, given the right treatment(rather lack of treatment) they tend to grow fast- more of a vining habit. I put mine in ground when it was about a foot high, now it is a large vine( in 2-2.5 years) and unforutnately half of it broke during one of our famous hurricane, but in a matter of 2 months it has come back nicely and is blooming well now.

• MichaelL
    19 years ago

Hi AngelSmell...The most fragrant jasmine? Polyanthum, hands down. But the MOST fragrant doesn't necessarily mean the finest or sweetest fragrance. I'd give that to the sambacs, or a good clone of officinale.
    Now, this photo controversy has my blood BOILING! Is this not, after all, an EDUCATIONAL forum? Are we paying to read these posts, or to post ourselves? Who profits here from copywriting a picture? Who loses what from having an unacknowledged photo posted? Who loses WHAT? Adoration? Think about that, really hard! If I posted a photo of my own, it would be as though I was taking the viewer into my garden (no admission fee) to say, "This is the plant we are talking about". Parsimony is against my nature; I do not require recognition for my expertise. As a nursery professional and columnist, my advice is free. Posting a photo in this forum is, in my opinion, the same as describing, in exquisite detail, the subject. What we write here is not copyrighted, is it? Will that be next?
    To those who copyright their pictures, and then freely throw them out to The Web, do yourself (and us) a favor: emblazon them with your hallmarks and copyright, or better yet, DON'T BOTHER POSTING THEM AT ALL! Submit them to the print media, where (if published) your credits will be acknowledged. That way we can keep education above ego, at least in this free forum...

• MichaelL
    19 years ago

Hi AngelSmell...The most fragrant jasmine? Polyanthum, hands down. But the MOST fragrant doesn't necessarily mean the finest or sweetest fragrance. I'd give that to the sambacs, or a good clone of officinale.
    Now, this photo controversy has my blood BOILING! Is this not, after all, an EDUCATIONAL forum? Are we paying to read these posts, or to post ourselves? Who profits here from copywriting a picture? Who loses what from having an unacknowledged photo posted? Who loses WHAT? Adoration? Think about that, really hard! If I posted a photo of my own, it would be as though I was taking the viewer into my garden (no admission fee) to say, "This is the plant we are talking about". Parsimony is against my nature; I do not require recognition for my expertise. As a nursery professional and columnist, my advice is free. Posting a photo in this forum is, in my opinion, the same as describing, in exquisite detail, the subject. What we write here is not copyrighted, is it? Will that be next?
    To those who copyright their pictures, and then freely throw them out to The Web, do yourself (and us) a favor: emblazon them with your hallmarks and copyright, or better yet, DON'T BOTHER POSTING THEM AT ALL! Submit them to the print media, where (if published) your credits will be acknowledged. That way we can keep education above ego, at least in this free forum...

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

Michael, I suggest you read the rules of what is required to be a member here. One of the rules says that you are not allowed to post pictures which are copyrighted. To some people, pictures are considered a product produced by the photographer/plant grower, and they don't want it used without their permission. What they may or may not lose is completely irrelevant. This is a serious subject, especially with big businesses online using all that they can get their hands on. It is no less serious than plagerism. You may not see things the same way, but if someone copied your column word-for-word and published it as their own words, I guarantee you wouldn't like it. The principle is the same here. The pictures which are copyrighted and which are being posted here were entered into a specific database, which was created for the benefit and education of others, and these pictures should not be used for any other purpose. These pictures have a copyright symbol in the upper left-hand corner of the picture.

• angelsmell
    19 years ago

CLare: Can I ask you if you are paid by Garden Web to
    Watch over who is breaking the rules? Or is this your website?
    Most people that love gardening are nature loving nice giving people at least from my experiences in life.
    If you are speaking for other people that are offended who are they? I'm not going to post any pictures from the web
    anymore because I don't want to be scolded like a child in front of all the nice people I've talked to on this forum.
    But it's a sad affair! Thank You MichaelL I appreciate your support......

• Clare_CA
    19 years ago

LOL, Angel. No, we have a webmaster, and he watches all the threads very carefully. My warning was meant to be friendly, and I'm sorry if you feel you were scolded, but those are your feelings to take responsibility for. Too often, people make the mistake of taking personally that which was not meant to be personal. Rules are in place for a reason, and when they are broken, you will undoubtedly hear from someone somewhere. The people who object to their copyrighted pictures being posted are my friends. They belong to dave's. There are many long threads about this very topic over there, and since you are a new member there, I'll leave it to you to find them and read them.

• hemnancy
    19 years ago

I brought back a J. sambac from San Francisco in Nov. and it had buds but dropped them all. But now it is starting to vine and has little flower buds forming in the ends of the vines. Do they bloom in the winter? Unfortunately I brought in some aphids with some outdoor plants and now I have to spray with Safer's etc. :-( I will have to take someone's advice in another thread next year and treat all the outdoor plants before I bring them in next year. I'm anxious to see how my J. sambac smells. I had a nitidum once growing outdoors and liked to pick the blooms and walk around sucking on perfumed air through the flower tube.:-)

• flowers_galore
    19 years ago

i can see all your pics.

Radha.

• suzycue2257
    19 years ago

I have no idea what type I have but it smells great and blooms 5 to 6 times a year! I've had it for 3 years now and just recently noticed 3 pods on it. they were green but Christmas day they turned red, one is quite large the other 2 are very small. Are these seed pods?

• Desert_Son
    19 years ago

I absolutely love J. Nitidum for its simple, blinding white blossoms, deep dark green waxy pointed leaves which show deep gem purple as new growth, and the kicker--the pure intrigue of its perfume--not disgustingly overpowering but when I'm in the vicinity, more like the effect of some gorgeous person sneaking up behind and gently gaining my attention...an understated seduction which I find very, um, sexy.

• mickey3
    19 years ago

My favorite is the Star Jasmine also known as the jasmine confederate.......dainty white flowers with such a potent floral scent!! You can grow them as a vine or bush! GET THIS PLANT-YOU WILL THANK ME!!

• CoolPlants
    19 years ago

Well, this was originated from somebody else. Angelsmell, I didn't see if there was a 'c' in a circle on the photos that were deleted.
    As far as I'm concerned, the 'c' circle has to be on the photo or it's fair game! Don't know rules with this particular forum but if a photo is posted, the only way to know if it's copyrighted is that mark.
    Angelsmell, I appreciate your endeavors even if they're not 'the right thing to do'.
    kevin

• secret7
    18 years ago

Have to agree with MichaelL that MOST fragrant isn't necessarily good. I had a jasmine that was cloying, just too strong for the patio it lived on.

• sunsi
    18 years ago

mickey3:
    >My favorite is the Star Jasmine also known as the jasmine confederate.......dainty white flowers with such a potent floral scent!! You can grow them as a vine or bush! GET THIS PLANT-YOU WILL THANK ME!!I have just purchased a Star Jasmine (my first jasmine:) and now I'm looking for more varieties of that heavenly scent...great thread...err, except for that copyright whiner:P

• david1978jp
    18 years ago

Most fragrant, no doubt, has to be Night Jasmine. It is so strong, we had to chop down one; they were planted 30 feet from house. Every Jasmine smells good, if you just began, Sambec is always pleasant; I do like Star a lot, however, it is on the lighter side to me.

• charlene_in_iowa
    18 years ago

I have a question about the Star Jamine. Is that the same as Gardenia Jasminoides "Shooting Star". I have ordered one and thought this was in the Gardenia family, but after reading the name Mickey3 used I wasn't sure.
    Though by the way I also am waiting for Night Blooming Jasmine and Willow leaved Jasmine. I just hope they are fragrant, that is why I wanted them.

• Klodec
    18 years ago

I'm sorry to peek in the middle, but no one seems to think about Jasminum Grandiflorum
    The scent is very noble and this cultivar is used for distilation in the perfume industry. Known as the 'Jasmin de Grasse' (cultivated for centuries in the south of France).
    Flowers are bigger, with reddish tint in the back, and the fragrance is very delicate, pure.

Otherwise, Sambac have a very powerful and sweet scent, Polyanthum is more aggressive and less noble scented (In my opinion) though interresting, nitidum are great too.

FYI as you probably know it, confederate jasmine, carolina jasmine, night jasmine, are common names, and are NOT true jasmines relatives.
    With common names, langage abuses are frequent and many fragrant plant are given the name 'jasmine'.
    This may look secondary to some people, (I understand them somehow they don't care why and how, long as it smell good it's a jasmine) but for purists like me, I think this is important to make it clear, and call a cat, a cat.

• blue_hues
    18 years ago

Has anyone here ever grown a chocolate jasmine? I found picture of it at a web store we aren't alloed to mention... I think, anyway it does exist and it is supposed to smell like chocolate. I love the fragrance of Grand Duke too although mine is a sickly lime green it blooms wonderfully.
    But CHOCOLATE come on... I would have to see this.
    I will try to go find the botanical name of it.
    Martha
    Here it is
    Cestrum diurnum
    Family: Solanaceae
    It is also called :day blooming jasmine, inkberry, china berry and day jasmine

• angelsmell
    18 years ago

My Grand Duke and my Angelwing jasmine died, I was really surprised. I think it was too cold in so Calif last winter.
    I just bought a new angelwing today and I guess I'll bring it in the house this winter, I love the polished green leaves.
    I have had a Maid of New Orleans growing on my desk at work in front of an eatern window and I would say they grow better indoors than out, it has been blooming since January.
    Love the scent as I work.

• Mandy D
    18 years ago

My small garden right now is filled with delicious intoxicating scents at night thanks to Jas Officinale Grandiflorum and Cestrum nitidium that just fill the air. I have all the sambacs but they don't waft like these 2. I too have Angelwing and although pretty there is no smell at all. Confederate Jas has too sweet and cloying scent to me.

• Loveac
    18 years ago

I need help to determine what type of Jasmine I have, I believe one is the Grand Duke, they were given to me without and other information and I need help in caring for them properly as far as pruning, pot size, etc. I have taken a picture of each and would like to post it for someone to tell me what they are, but I am not sure how to do that. Promise, they are my pics only. Thanks for any help. Angela

• siliconmage
    18 years ago

I like the "Belle of India" fragence alot, but "Mysore Mulli" is better and stronger. It is a slower grower though.

• CoolPlants
    18 years ago

I got a Jasminum molle/auriculatum from the place we can't mention. It smells wonderful!!! Very perfumey with a touch of Eleagnus (florida ones). Not too many flowers at one time but they're so nice. My favorits is still what I call Rose Jasmine, J. Sambac grand duke.
    kevin

• mehetabelle
    18 years ago

Person posting as AngelSmell, I love your photo, but I believe that plant is called Angel Wing, not 'hair.' It likes Zone 10, quite warm. I had one in Scottsdale AZ in a western facing spot and it LOVED it. Other plants in that spot got fried.

I had one here in Silicon Valley, zone 8/9 and it wasn't warm enough for it. Too bad! But I've seen ones thriving in Berkeley CA where it's cooler but more humid. Maybe I'll give it another try if I find another one to buy. They're not so common here.

I love that vine -- it's beautiful and the fragrance is the BEST.

• sassyjas
    17 years ago

I have a very fragrant Jasmine known as the stephanotis jasmine. It has a large waxy flower that lasts quite sometime. It is very beautiful.
    My question is: My plant has a "something" growing at the base of the plant it is the size of a champagne mango and it looks like a mango. It has been on the plant for about 2 months now, it was very green and now it is turning yellow, does anyone know what it is????

• ankraras
    17 years ago

Sassyjas ;- I think you have just described the seed pod maturing. Can you post a photo?

Normally the seed pod takes a long- long time till maturity maybe you just haven't noticed it till recently.

{{gwi:8337}}

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Star/Confederate Jasmine is Trachelospermum jasminoides
    not a Gardenia.

As far as pictures go: In the USA photographs are copyright protected regardless of whether or not they say so. It is illegal to reproduce them without the owner's permission. Which is why it is against the Garden Web rules to post copyrighted pictures.

• orchidbee
    17 years ago

I have a bunch of different true jasmines, including a number of J. sambac cultivars. My favorite by far is J. tortuosum, which I bought from Logee's. But there are lots of jasmines and I am still exploring them. It is worth saying that although I love fragrant plants I don't care for the sambacs.

• birdsnblooms
    17 years ago

My fav is Maid of Orleans..it's easy to grow, and blooms throughout the yr. I'd like to get one for each room. Toni

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    17 years ago

The most fragrant one I have is polyanthum. I have c.nocturnum and a few of the sambacs, stehanotis etc. I like to bring in a flower spike cutting off the cestrum noctrurnum when they are in bloom and put them in my room to fragrance the air at night, they are pretty strong but I tried this once with polyanthum and it got stronger and stronger as the night went on, about 2 am I got up and put it in the bathroom lol- I practically couldn't breath due to the heavy strong fragrance it was pouring out. -Didn't know that polyanthum was stronger at night before that incident-they are my favorite but it stays outside now :D
    ~SJN

• mermaid1111
    13 years ago

Star Jasmine is the most fragrant and has an incredible scent but Star Jasmine is not a true jasmine. Star Jasmine belongs to the Dogbane Family (Apocynaceae), and true Jasmine (Jasminum), belongs to the Olive family, not the Dogbane family. Still it is my favorite. I also have an Angelwing Jasmine and it has a beautiful strong fragrance as well, and it is hearty and easy to grow. It is not called Angelhair, it is Angelwing.

• hembhuvan_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I am looking for purchasing these Jasmine plants. Would appreciate any suggestions.

1. Jasminum Molle ( Jasminum Auriculatum)
    2. Jasminum Flore Plena (True Jasmine)
    3. Jasminum Sambac Grand Duke Supreme
    4. Jasminum Sambac Mysore Mulli
    5. Jasminum Sambac Belle of India

Thank you.
    Hem

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

Logees and Almost Eden can supply several of those. They offer healthy, vigorous plants. You might also try Gardino's at Gardinonursery.com.

• mehitabel
    13 years ago

The one called 'Flore Plena' at Logee's is intensely fragrant. So also is the 'Grand Duke' at Almost Eden.

• Starman108_Yahoo_Com
    12 years ago

Chamelli is the most fragrant Jasmine.......

I had many varieties of them in South America.......
    Tropic of Cancer just above the Equator !

I left mine out last fall and by the time
    I realized it was frozen.........!

Syama

• mattdiclemente
    12 years ago

I tend to be under the impression that Jasmine Sambac is the most fragrant of the jasmine clan. I have to put in a good word for my little Jasminum tortosum though, whose fragrance I enjoy a great deal. It is a jasmine scent for certain - sweet and heavy - but clean and oceanic as well.

Chamelli is another name for Angelwing jasmine or Jasminum nitidum. I mean to try it for myself. I am interested that such the descriptions of its fragrance vary so widely.

Sincerely,
    Matt

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer