Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
forever_a_newbie_z8_va

Berry on Chinese perfumn plant (Aglaia odorata)

This is the first time I see this plant setting berries.

Anybody has any idea about this? can I expect seeds to be developed? Has anyone grown the Aglaia odorata from seeds?

{{gwi:782293}}

Comments (9)

• longriver
    16 years ago

There is a nickname in Guandong Province, China. It is called 'Rice seed Fragrance'. The intensity and profile of the fragrance is very good. But it is not very cold hardy, light frost will kill the young plant. What you see are the flower buds, as I remembered, which hardly show open flowers. Yet the nice aroma is there.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi longriver:
    Thanks for the information. I actually killed one several years ago for leaving it outside when it was getting cool (not even cold if I remember correctly). This time I'll make sure it stays inside for the falls and winters.

Doing a search I found that the red berries ARE actaully the fruits and will develop seed. Only one seed in each berry (I have 2 now). It was said that it is very rare for this plant to bear fruits and it must be very happy to do that. So I guess I'm really lucky. I ordered the plant from south pacific orchid. If you live close by I would highly recommend it. 2 gallon very healthy and blooming plants.

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Updates on the berries: One turned dark red and dropped and I got one big seed, as big as a medium size bean. The other one is still on the plant. I'm really looking forward to planted them.
    Changsong

• kaihui
    16 years ago

Hi, Changsong,
    Do you like the fragrance? If so, may I buy 1 or two young plants from you if the seeds can germinate?

Thanks,

Kai

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kaihui:
    I would really love to share a seed or two with you if I had got more, for free of course. But you see I only have one at this moment and I'm waiting for the other one to ripen. And I don't know whether this is going to work and if so, how long you can expect blooming. So Kai I think the best is to get a mature plant. I'm only trying this for curiosity and experiment, knowing that I already have something that is blooming for me

Following is the link of south pacific orchid company.
    http://www.southpacificorchid.com/
    I ordered a 2-gallon plant for $28 plus $18 for shipping. They also have smaller size plant for $18 plus shipping.

The fragrance is wonderful, just like what we had back in China. But somehow this plant is not that easy as I thought. I lost one also from south pacific orchid for leaving outside when it was getting colder. I lost the other one from another source and I still don't know why. So this is my 3rd plant and god bless.

Here is a link that might be useful: south pacific orchid

• kaihui
    16 years ago

Hi, Changsong,
    Thank you very much for getting back to me. I have never had it in China. What is its Chinese name (Pin Ying is fine )?

Thanks for the link. I'd prefer to buy plants. Growing from seeds takes too long. I am torn between whether to get it or now. My problems is I already have lots of plants indoor now.

Just bough 21 acre land in Charlottesville. I plan to grow lots of trees.

I love nature. My photos are at:
    www.pbase.com/kaihui

Here is a link that might be useful: The land

• forever_a_newbie_VA8
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow you have a gorgeous land! Are you going to make an orchard of it? We go to Charlottsville a couple times every year and I like the mountain there.

The Chinese Perfume plant is "Mi Lan" ÃÃü in Chinese. Same as AC-Milan or Inter-Milan if you happen to be a soccer fan:) The fragrance is generally very agreeable to most, if not all people.

• kaihui
    16 years ago

Oh, I love Milan. Now I know what it is.

No, probably can't make a orchard due to HOA restriction, but certainly I will plant some fruit trees. Well, I guess it can be a small orchard. Right now, on my current house, I have already have about 20 fruit trees.

BTW, if you are interested in fruit trees, check this out. They are very close to my house.

http://www.ediblelandscaping.com/

They have lots of interesting fruits. I usually go there couple of times a year to taste the fruits.

The most interesting one is called "chi", it is actually from China, but I never heard about it before. The owner Michael told me that's also the food of silkworm in China. "chi" actually is in the same family as Mulberry.

The fruit is just so delicious. You won't regret to buy one.

If you are in the area, you are welcome to stop by. My email is huikh2r@yahoo.com

Sponsored
Brenda M. Miller Designer of Interior Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars73 Reviews
Client-Oriented Interior Design in Loudoun County | Best of Houzz X6