Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
does jasmine require a dormant period

Posted by davidfromdetroit (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 13, 11 at 23:25

I have tried over and over to grow a potted jasmine. It always thrives for a while, and then dies after a year or two. I suspected too much watering the first time and maybe root rot. But after my third go-around, there must be something more I am missing. I am wondering, does jasmine require a dormant or drought period? Does it need cold temps in the winter? Why do they thrive and then later die?

PS - The death occurs one branch at a time. The leaves become dried out and crispy. I trim the dead branch, but the pattern advances to other branches and toward the trunk until, eventually, it is all dead.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: does jasmine require a dormant period

Hi David,

There are many kinds of jasmines. Do you know the botanical name or common name for the jasmine you've tried?
Are you growing it year round inside or are you taking it outside during the summer?
You mentioned over watering. Does the pot have drainage holes? Have you tried the 5:1:1 mixture for potting soil? You can find the recipe by searching for 5:1:1 on this site.
The more information you can provide the easier it will be for someone to answer you.

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Is this the jasmine you've tried?

o

HEllo Robert,

I do not have the botanical name. But this link:

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/83260-product.html

is the one. I have a Confederate Jasmine (larger glossy leaves) that I treat the same way. It has bloomed and thrived annually for years. This one is more lacey and delicate with tiny leaves no more than an inch. I do take it in each winter around late October. The pot has drainage holes and I am using a bonsai soil mixture for better drainage.

o

Hi David,

You have Jasminum polyanthum which is rather difficult to make it bloom (requires winter temperatures below 60). I'm not familiar with stem dieback but now that we know the botanical name others should be able to help you.
A far easier jasmine to grow would be the Maid of Orleans (the link I provided).
In addition to Sambac Jasmine I would suggest the following jasmines that have a long bloom period (as opposed to the jasmine you are trying to grow which only blooms once)-
http://www.kartuz.com/p/69127/Jasminum+molle.html
http://www.logees.com/Jasminum-azoricum/productinfo/R1920-2/

Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful hints for growing your jasmine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here