Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dbarronoss

Jasmine sambac 'MOO' growth habit

dbarron
9 years ago

I've seen other posts about the scrufulous habit of this little plant. Apparently, it would rather bloom than put on a strong growth first (ie terminal blooms on every new growth).

Does anyone have a feel how it would react this summer to high nitrogen fertilizer, in an attempt to try to push it into being uberly bushy/vigorous ? Or am I beating a fragrant dead horse and just have to live with it ? :)

Comments (13)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    9 years ago

Haha. I think your plant is probably just too young to become the monster that it will eventually grow into. ;)
    Eventually sambacs will become quite bushy and vigorous and send out long whip like branches that I just snap off though you could train them on a trellis if you wished.
    I give mine as much full sun as possible here in Oklahoma. They get Dynamite All Purpose Select slow release fertilizer in the potting mix and every couple of weeks a dose of Dyna-Gro Foliage Pro, both are high in nitrogen and my jasmines go crazy.
    So I guess I'm saying be patient. They'll get there. :)

-Robert

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Robert, you may well be right. My Jasmines in the past were never that vigorous, though perhaps I didn't treat them the way they liked. I tended to fertilize very infrequently and use way too heavy a potting mix. I've learned quite a lot over the last ten years or so. My house is also warmer than the one I had then...which is probably more helpful to them too.

Hard to believe I had a degree in Horticulture twenty years ago, but still had so much to learn (still do).

9 years ago

I thought from reading your posts you had a degree in horticulture or botany. :)

I use the fast draining 5:1:1 mix for my jasmines and they go crazy in it.
    I've learned about the mix and so much more from the kind folks on GW.

I hope your jasmine goes crazy this year for you!

-Robert

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I think Robert, your hope maybe coming true. It just finished (as in the last two blooms turned purple)...and I notice it's started a new flush of vegetative growth, which will undoubtedly terminate in more blooms.
    Lol, it is feeling stronger...I think I was just discouraged because of the tremendously cloudy weather we had in December for most of the month. Nothing was growing, without sunlight to fuel it. We've not had but one cloudy day or so in January, and my plants are much happier for it.

9 years ago

Yay! I've been loving the sun as well and the current warmer weather. I actually brought up my Mysore Mulli from the basement at lunch and placed it in the backyard to get some sun.
    I've got today and tomorrow before the weather turns cool again. :)

-Robert

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well Robert, my jasmine started the next flush of growth/bloom after the ones here faded (about a month ago) and I can again smell it at the kitchen sink. It *is* getting quite a bit bigger (lol) and I was wondering how cuttings rooted for you ? I see that if I keep it warm and feed it, I'll need to cut it or it won't fit in the windowsill next year.

9 years ago

Hooray! I miss that scent. Seems like spring will never arrive this year.

I was successful rooting them in a mini domed greenhouse with a heat pad underneath. Mini greenhouse

I used rooting hormone and noticed the ones I left longest in the greenhouse to root were the most successful. The ones I took out too soon died. It was fun and I enjoyed sharing plants but it did take up a huge chunk of real estate inside but if space is not an issue then I say go for it! :)

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It's always nice to have a backup or two, I can gift it to someone and if something happens to mine, I can take cuttings again. The fun of plant sharing...and the knowledge that noone is going to say 'You can't do that...this is protected by Plant Patent ######'.

9 years ago

Haha. True. It was nice to plant two more Mysore Mulli cuttings in the mother pot to fill in some blank spaces.

Now you've got me wanting to clean up the greenhouse and try to root more but then of course where would I put the zillion potted plants crammed under the lamp where I put the greenhouse? ;)

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well, depending where you are in Oklahoma, I could help you clean up by allowing you to give me a Mysore Mulli (lol). Frankly, my windowsills are about full (for this winter), but I won't have a lot of small hardy stuff overwintering in them next year. There's an orchid show and sale tomorrow night...and I am afraid I must go. I wonder how my sales resistance is doing, and where I put it. I haven't seen much sign of sales resistance since I moved.

Having moved into a new house, I had lots of planting outdoors I wanted to do, and money being tight, I opted for buying cheap small plants of some and nursing them on. Thus, I have crinums, clumping bamboo, terrestrial orchid, a dianthus, and a hardy lantana in my windows bulking up before they can safely be put outside in a couple months. Of course, the fact that I ordered them in December from Florida, and they were in active growth had something to do with them coming inside too.

9 years ago

Ha! Sounds like we're peas in a pod. I'm in Tulsa btw. We've got an orchid show and sale happening April 18-19. I mean you can't go to too many, right? :)

I brought up a butterfly bush that I kept in the pot down in the basement over winter since it started to leaf out (I kill the ones I try to grow in the ground). Plus I carried up tropical plants that I feared might croak down in the basement so suffice to say space is very limited indoors!

I'd love to give you a Mysore Mulli cutting if I get around to rooting them. I also have Belle of India and Grand Duke Supreme. All have slightly different scents.

• dbarron
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I lived in Chelsea and worked in Tulsa for twelve years, probably have seen you around somewhere...like one of those Make Every Home a Wildlife Habitat garden tours ? (recently became sponsored by Audubon society). I'm thinking we might just have to meet sometime.

9 years ago

Haha. Small world. Yes. I go to the Audubon Wildlife Habitat Garden Tour almost every year.