Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Picture of Brunfelsias

Posted by Tolip none (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 12 at 9:08

Does anyone here grow each of brunfelsia americana, brunfelsia nitida, brunfelsia lactea, brunfelsia gigantea, brunfelsia jamaicensis and brunfelsia densifolia?

Appreciate a picture of each as I have a plant but am not sure which one it is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Picture of Brunfelsias

Hi, Tolip.

I currently have B. gigantea and B. 'Isola'. I've grown B. nitida and B. densifolia/densiflora but no longer have them.
You'd definitely know if you had B. densifolia/densiflora since it has distinctive, narrow long leaves unlike any of the other brunfelsias. You might want to do some Google image searches.
Do you have any pictures of your plant in bloom including the foliage that you could post for us to view?

-Robert

o

B. gigantea in bloom.

o

Forgot to mention I've grown B. lactea as well. I planted it in the ground this past spring and it's now dead from the cold. Had it bloomed more often for me I probably would have saved it since it does have a nice scent. Here's a crappy night time shot of B. lactea in bloom.

o

Love mine...it is loaded with buds again right now..Gigantea...fragrance is amazing...kind of like an Easter lily and carnation crossed...

Photobucket

o

• Posted by Tolip Tropical (My Page) on
    Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 3:50

Hi Robert and blutayle

Thanks for your pictures. I'm sure you are enjoying the fragrance at night just as much I enjoyed mine.

I have of course searched the net for my own clarification and have come out still at a loss as to which specie mine is. I bought this plant and the vendor only speaks one of our local dialect and in mandarin we call it Ye Lai Xiang (Night comes fragrance). Pretty much most plants that gives off a fragrance at night is named Ye Lai Xiang. LOL.

Your giganteas match as I compare their foliage. Huge leaves they have. But I think nutrients do play a small part in producing different looking leaves.

I'm not sure if mine is a nitida, americana, lactea or even perhaps a gigantea? Here are some pictures.

This post was edited by Tolip on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 23:26

o

Notice the seedling has huge leaves unlike the mother plant?

Here's a close up.

o

Just one more:

o

Beautiful pics! You're very lucky to have such gorgeous specimens. Due to its upright nature I'm going with B. americana though I've never grown it. :)
I'll let others who have grown it chime in.

-Robert

o

According to this blog B. americana was a hit on a Singapore gardening forum...more reasons that make me think that's the species you have. :)
There are pics you can compare yours to.
Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Typical Gardener's Blog

o

Thanks.

First of, the pics don't show the whole plant and does not show the overall growth structure.

Also that's on the assumption that the blogger and the plant sellers are correct in the first place.

It would still be nice to have pics of other brunfelsias.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here