Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tolip

Picture of Brunfelsias

tolip
11 years ago

Does anyone here grow each of brunfelsia americana, brunfelsia nitida, brunfelsia lactea, brunfelsia gigantea, brunfelsia jamaicensis and brunfelsia densifolia?

Appreciate a picture of each as I have a plant but am not sure which one it is.

Comments (12)

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    11 years ago

Hi, Tolip.

I currently have B. gigantea and B. 'Isola'. I've grown B. nitida and B. densifolia/densiflora but no longer have them.
    You'd definitely know if you had B. densifolia/densiflora since it has distinctive, narrow long leaves unlike any of the other brunfelsias. You might want to do some Google image searches.
    Do you have any pictures of your plant in bloom including the foliage that you could post for us to view?

-Robert

11 years ago

B. gigantea in bloom.

11 years ago

Forgot to mention I've grown B. lactea as well. I planted it in the ground this past spring and it's now dead from the cold. Had it bloomed more often for me I probably would have saved it since it does have a nice scent. Here's a crappy night time shot of B. lactea in bloom.

• blutayle
    11 years ago

Love mine...it is loaded with buds again right now..Gigantea...fragrance is amazing...kind of like an Easter lily and carnation crossed...

• tolip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Robert and blutayle

Thanks for your pictures. I'm sure you are enjoying the fragrance at night just as much I enjoyed mine.

I have of course searched the net for my own clarification and have come out still at a loss as to which specie mine is. I bought this plant and the vendor only speaks one of our local dialect and in mandarin we call it Ye Lai Xiang (Night comes fragrance). Pretty much most plants that gives off a fragrance at night is named Ye Lai Xiang. LOL.

Your giganteas match as I compare their foliage. Huge leaves they have. But I think nutrients do play a small part in producing different looking leaves.

I'm not sure if mine is a nitida, americana, lactea or even perhaps a gigantea? Here are some pictures.

This post was edited by Tolip on Tue, Jan 1, 13 at 23:26

• tolip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Notice the seedling has huge leaves unlike the mother plant?

Here's a close up.

• tolip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Just one more:

11 years ago

Beautiful pics! You're very lucky to have such gorgeous specimens. Due to its upright nature I'm going with B. americana though I've never grown it. :)
    I'll let others who have grown it chime in.

-Robert

11 years ago

According to this blog B. americana was a hit on a Singapore gardening forum...more reasons that make me think that's the species you have. :)
    There are pics you can compare yours to.
    Good luck!

-Robert

Here is a link that might be useful: Typical Gardener's Blog

• tolip
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks.

First of, the pics don't show the whole plant and does not show the overall growth structure.

Also that's on the assumption that the blogger and the plant sellers are correct in the first place.

It would still be nice to have pics of other brunfelsias.

• simounagta
    9 years ago

Picture of Brunfelsia

Here is a link that might be useful: PICTURE OF BRUNFELSIA LACTAE, LADY OF THE NIGHT

This post was edited by simounagta on Mon, Sep 1, 14 at 18:59

• wanna_run_faster
    9 years ago

I've had some in the past and now have just purchased brunfelsia lactea and brunfelsia gigantea.

Can anyone help me identify "common" names for all the brunfelsias? For example, it seems that "princess of the night" is used for 2 or 3 species names!

Thanks,

Helen