Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recommendations, anyone?

Posted by hoosierbob 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 7, 13 at 10:37

Gardeners,

I just removed a section of white rock on the south side of our front porch and now have a new 6' x 6' area to plant. I'd like to have a succession of fragrant plants blooming there, though in a limited space. Some I love are Korean Spice Viburnum, Lilac (Prairie Petite?) , Rose (Rose de Rescht?), and Honeysuckle (Lonicera periclymenum) on a trellis at the back.

Would anyone care to suggest early./mid/late or continuous and yet smaller fragrant bloomers for this area? I know the honeysuckle and viburnum may need reining in. Whatever I plant needs to be hardy to zone 6 and take full sun. Thanks very much for any suggestions of your favorites!

Bob in Indiana

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recommendations, anyone?

Hi, Bob!

You're off to a great start to some awesome fragrant plants!

Looks like you're only interested in perennials or shrubs so I can recommend adding a mock orange (Philadelphus 'Snowbelle' is a great one) though you're missing out on a world of scents from annuals like moonflower (Ipomoea alba), Night Scented Stock (Matthiola longipetala from Seed Savers Exchange) or Old Fashioned Vining Petunia, tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa 'Single Mexicna'), etc.

Personally I think it's worth the trouble of adding at least one sambac jasmine (Jasminum sambac 'Belle of India' is a great one) to keep in a pot outside during the summer and bringing it indoors in the winter.

Check the 'blooming in' month threads for ideas of different fragrant plants.

Book recommendations would be Trees and Shrubs for Fragrance by Glyn Church (though most wouldn't be hardy where you are), A garden of fragrance by Suzy Bales and The evening garden by Peter Loewer.

I'm sure others will give you tons of ideas! :)

-Robert

o

Robert, thanks so much for the ideas. You are right, I've been focusing on shrubs and perennials, so thanks for expanding my idea list. I have a jasminum sambac and I usually leave it in my small greenhouse, so thanks for the idea of setting it out. I actually saw a Snowbelle at the gardens in St. Louis several years ago and loved it, but had forgotten the name. I'll also check out the monthly threads.

BTW- I'm an Okie, born in Elk City and through grade school in Oklahoma City. Your ideas are greatly appreciated!

o

You're welcome!
Very glad to see a former Okie on here. ;)
You could also try some bulbs in the front of your bed like hyacinths (I've always wanted to try the Roman Hyacinths - Hyacinthus orientalis var. albulus) or fragrant perennials like echinacea (I've been wanting to try the Sombrero and Big Sky series).

Your sambac jasmine will reward you with tons of blooms if you take it outside of your greenhouse during the summer to get fresh air and sun. :)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here