Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cymbidium orchid blooming at a local conservatory

Posted by robert1971 7a OK (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 23, 12 at 11:34

I didn't grow this magnificently scented plant. It's blooming right now in the Tulsa Garden Center Conservatory but I wanted to share it with you guys.
I know Mike, Olympia and Kemistry (to name a few) have been telling me how awesomely scented these orchids are...well now I know!
I couldn't find a tag on it but I'm thinking maybe Cymbidium Golden Elf 'Sundust'?
To me it smells like a magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) course I had none blooming to compare it to.
Anyway it's definitely on my wish list for next year!
Too bad it gets so big and is an evergreen so I couldn't just shove it down into the basement during winter (sunny windows and space are a premium during the winter).
Still if anyone has the space I'm joining the Cymbidium bandwagon in praising this orhid's scent. Laugh.

-Robert

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cymbidium orchid blooming at a local conservatory

thanks robert! (maybe not actually, because since the last time there was talk about them I actually ordered 7!... )
I'll regret asking of course, but would you guys share notes on cultivars??

o

Hi fenius!

I actually thought of you while sniffing it (I went again today and it still smells like magnolias to me which I know you love). :)
Looked again for a tag but nothing. A nearby plant simply stated 'Cymbidium'.
I'm hoping maybe someone from the garden club or orchid club can tell me the cultivar...and if you have 7 of them you should be telling us about the differences in scents of the cultivars! ;)
But maybe none of yours have bloomed yet? :(

-Robert

o

no nothing yet just grass... will let you know as soon as I have blooms

o

Robert..THANK YOU for sharing! I am in love with them and if I had access to get one, I would right now..

I hope this night finds you happy and all is well. You are a good man and I am glad I met you. Thanks for thinking of us.

By the way, I did pick up an Orchid today. I was at a nursery I had never been to before and just roaming, when I could smell something very sweet. I followed it, the fragrance that is for at least a good ten feet, when I just so happened to stumble across this orchid which somehow happened to land in my loving arms...

Mike:-)

o

No fair teasing us with a description of a sweet scent without telling us which kind of orchid you got today!
And here I was thinking I was bad for getting plants in the mail during winter while you're still going out shopping for them! ;)

-Robert

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fragrant Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here