Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fragrantgrower

Blooming in December!

Okay. More like blooming again or still blooming but I don't have a lot to work with, okay? ;)

Gelsemium sempervirens (Carolina Jasmine) is starting to open its second round of blooms. Cymbidium Chen's Ruby is still going though the scent is lighter still if I bring my nose to the blooms I can still smell them. I also have the sweet olive and the bromeliad though it doesn't have any scent now that it's strictly indoors.
Eventually the tuberose under the lights in the basement will start to open and at that point I'll cut the bloom stalk and bring it indoors. I've read they should continue to open when cut so why not? :)

Anyone else have anything in bloom to share?
We love pictures on this forum!

-Robert

Comments (33)

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Whey i can finally contribute to the forum again :)

what i believe is Mahonia japonica nice fragrance and the bees are still on it even in dec

Cattleya Hawaiian wedding song x looglore sweet fragrance

Blc morning glory x angelwalker

unnamed cattleya really strong fragrance

Robert you might know this one as its in that book really odd plant no flowers but just at this time of year as the leaves are starting to drop it gives off the most wonderful fragrance of Toffee being cooked i could stand there all day taking it in :)

Cercidiphyllum

Alcera mervin cove tailsman cove nice spicy fragrance

And i have been waiting along time for this one to open if you are into orchids its a must
    C. Chocolate Drop 'Volcano Queen witha beautiful fragrance

Brian

• Robert (zone 7a, Oklahoma)
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Brian,

Thanks so much for giving us all this eye candy!
    I love, love, love your mahonia!
    We've got a couple of Leatherleaf (Mahonia bealei) that typically bloom in the early spring and I always look forward to sniffing their bright yellow blooms.
    As you pointed out the bees love the blooms and the birds love the fruits!
    I've always wanted to try the hybrid 'Charity' but I never see any for sale in Tulsa.

Your orchids are gorgeous. Wish I could sniff them.
    I'm going to look up the toffee scented shrub! :)

-Robert

This post was edited by robert1971 on Mon, Dec 9, 13 at 7:56

• bunti
    10 years ago

Here is my artabotrys still blooming. I got this plant from green mart, CA. Musaboro shipped it to me. Its worth the money. It has been blooming since I got the plant.

Once again Thanks a lot to Musaboro.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Thank you bunti for your photo i have a very small artabotrys that i got from taiwan seems to be doing ok any idea how quick growing these plants are?

My Vibernum is just starting to flower love its sweet perfume :)

• fenius
    10 years ago

I love all these december blooms! Who knows when I find an artabotrys...Lately I've been cheating on this forum with the scottish rock garden club and I have thousands of seed trays lying around, it is awful, I need a little detox with tropicals! My plumeria is still blooming inside btw but the flowers open smaller and smaller and less scented :-(
    Brian what variety is your viburnum? This year I got a small cercidiphyllum "pendulum" too after searching and searching!
    So how does a gelsemium and a mahonia smell??

Original Author
    10 years ago

Brian,

Love your viburnum! Looks like you've got lots to sniff in December. :)

Fenius,

I know what you mean about plumerias having no scent or very little inside. I experienced the same thing. I've been waiting on a sole bloom on Phet Pachara to open down in the dimly lit basement but if it does I'm sure it will probably be scentless. :(

To me Gelsemium sempervirens smells like baby powder however Tovah Martin in the Essence of Paradise Fragrant plants for indoor gardens describes the scent as "slightly rose-like and intensely heady with a syrupy type of sweetness. It's smooth, it's rich, but not overwhelming. Gelsemium is the sort of scent you can live with."

Today I bought one purple hyacinth bulb, three Thalia daffodils and five muscari (grape hyacinths) and planted them all in a pot so that hopefully come spring I can enjoy their scent.
    I also bought a bag of mixed freesias and planted them together in a separate pot.
    All were 50% off so I figured why not? :)

I also ordered a Millingtonia hortensis (Tree Jasmine, Indian Cork Tree) from eBay which should arrive Wednesday.
    I've read it has a lovely perfume so hopefully I won't have to wait too long to experience for myself.

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Hi fenius its the old classic Viburnum x bodnantense dawn as for the mahonia a definite honey smell

Thats it Robert throw a few more names in there :P
    now i am looking up Millingtonia hortensis online and ebay :)

unnamed cattleya that looks and smells very much like cattleya burana beauty came in a job lot

and a odontonia

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

He Robert..Love it when you start these threads and thank you!

Beautiful flowers as always...It is because of threads like this that I have learned of so many fragrant species I never knew and bought:-)

Fragrant...Where do you live that spring is already popping up? Crazy..I have to wait until April to see those flowers..I love them..

Here you go guys...One of my Orchids I was so happy to see flower again..It is sitting in my home now since it has one of the sweetest intense smells of any I have..

{{gwi:115660}}

{{gwi:115661}}

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Gosh I'm loving these orchids guys.
    I've only got a few things that smell right now.
    My dauben Lily is still going!

• ordphien
    10 years ago

An extremely fragrant zygo cross

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Oncidium Gold Dust. Smells like cupcakes.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Yet another zygo cross that smells divine.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 0:28

• ordphien
    10 years ago

NOID brassia hybrid. Smells strongly of honeysuckle.

This post was edited by Ordphien on Wed, Dec 18, 13 at 16:57

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Cymbidium Cherry Cola 'geyserland'.
    Smells like pine.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

NOID Cymbidium. light fragrance I have a hard time describing.

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

lots of delightful orchids to help us get through winter soon be the shortest day here :(

meyermike beautiful cattleya i do not think i have one all yellow cattleya they look a nice size flower as well any idea of the name? think i can just see a label in the pot :)
    And we have had a really mild winter so far (fingers crossed it stays that way)

Ordphien beautiful selection of orchids really love the 1st one zygo cross any idea on name (need names so i can go buy them ;) )
    and your NOID brassia hybrid has no photo :(
    I really like Cymbidium easy to grow in doors longevity of the flowers and some wonderful fragrances just a shame some can take up a fair bit of room you are lucky to have the space for these beautiful plants

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I've never seen a full yellow cattleya either. and such a rich shade of gold!
    Unfortunately no. No name. Maybe if I dig through the pot ( just bought it in bloom) but so far a NOID.
    I don't think it's pure zygo. Maybe zygotoria aka bollopetalum. I'd lean moor toward zygonisia though. Zygonisia murasakikomachi looks pretty close. Smells very strongly of lilacs and hyacinth n
    oops! photo added!

I grow all my cymbidiums outdoors so there's lots of room.
    the Cherry Cola is a mini Cymbidium as well.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

I've never seen a full yellow cattleya either. and such a rich shade of gold!
    Unfortunately no. No name. Maybe if I dig through the pot ( just bought it in bloom) but so far a NOID.
    I don't think it's pure zygo. Maybe zygotoria aka bollopetalum. I'd lean moor toward zygonisia though. Zygonisia murasakikomachi looks pretty close. Smells very strongly of lilacs and hyacinth n
    oops! photo added!

I grow all my cymbidiums outdoors so there's lots of room.
    the Cherry Cola is a mini Cymbidium as well.

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Ordphien...What your secret? What do you do to get yours to flower like that..
    I have over 35 orchids and all I can do is get a couple here and there to flower..I have pretty much the same as you..It is very discouraging...
    Yours are sooooo beautiful...That is the reason why I invested 100's of dollars in mine..For fragrance and boy is it a let down when I have healthy growing plants but no flowers after waiting all year...Beautiful!

I have 5 Cymbidiums...Not a one is getting flowers!

Mike

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Fragrant..Thank you! I picked this one up at an Orchid show last year in final stage of flowering..So I never got to see it's true beauty until now..Boy does it smell so good..I love the color to...Thank you.

I just wish I could get my Oncidiums that smell like chocolate to re-flower..Shary Baby and others..It's frustrating.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

Lol. Most of these I post when I buy them.
    I'm still in my second year of growing orchids sans a few phals.

Not that these two years haven't yielded some successes.

I get them in bloom from my local grocery. So that hopefully I can grow ave bloom them again later.

Of the orchids above only two were grown and rebloomed by me. The green Cymbidium and the brassia.

Lots of great growth on all of them in my care though...

I can't help sadly. cymbidiums are garden orchids here. put them in dappled shade and water once a week.
    I'm not sure why but only two of my 6 bloomed. sometimes they just decide not to.

I find orchids normally need a year or two of growth as they acclimate to my conditions before they bloom.

• blutayle
    10 years ago

What I call my Floridian Poinsettias...nothing screams the Holidays like the fragrance from my George King Serendipity and Betty Ford York...almost overpowering...

• jodik_gw
    10 years ago

Hey, Mike!

Gorgeous flowers, everyone!

I still haven't uploaded the photos, but I recently had a white flowered Epi Cactus bloom for the first time... very scented! It filled the apartment with perfume!

Have a lovely Holiday Season!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow! So many beautiful orchids!
    I wish I had more space inside to grow more. Laugh.

Brian,

Finally got my Millingtonia hortensis in the mail yesterday.
    I thought for sure it would be dead since it had been in the mail for 6 days and we're having an ice storm. It seems to be fine. I planted it in a gritty mix and have it under lights and so far so good. It hasn't dropped its leaves and looks fine.
    It normally only takes a couple of days to get most plants but not during Christmas! Lesson learned. :)

My 'Singe Mexican' tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa) is finally blooming! The house smells awesome at night.
    Maybe me being lazy and planting them so late in the spring paid off after all. ;)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

..this colonial atmosphere goes well with the scent!

Original Author
    10 years ago

Ha! Thanks, Fenius. :)

I was flipping through my Fragrant Orchids book by Steven Frowine last night and thought I came across Mike's yellow cattleya when I spotted Potinara Twentyfour Carat 'Lea' but Mike's upper petals look more frilled. Oh, well. Twentyfour Caret is supposed to have a strong vanilla scent though so it might do in a pinch. ;)

-Robert

Original Author
    10 years ago

Hooray! Really thought I had gone and done a stupid thing by ordering my Millingtonia hortensis in the winter.
    It dropped all of its leaves and has been looking lifeless.
    I have it in the gritty mix under a fluorescent light inside trying to keep it warm and not too wet and today I noticed tiny little leaf buds.
    Whoo! That was close.
    Maybe I'll get some blooms this year after all! :)

-Robert

• fragrant2008
    10 years ago

Congrats Robert i can see the two buds top left branch hope it blooms for you to :)

• fenius
    10 years ago

Hey robert,
    my millingtonia has dropped leaves with every location change, temp change, sunlight change ecc ecc but always comes back, don't worry too much about it! Right now it has mites :-(

Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Brian. Really thought I had lost it. :)

Fenius,

I didn't know you have a Millingtonia as well. Sounds like this might be a finicky plant if it drops its leaves so often!
    I suppose yours has not bloomed then?
    I guess we'll have to cross our fingers that ours will bloom this year and we'll finally be able to sniff this plant.
    Thanks for the info! :)

-Robert

• fenius
    10 years ago

Well, I don't know if it's finicky or I'm doing smth wrong all the time but in case I am I have to say it is very resilient too! No blooms yet or you'd have seen a pic!..got it last year from dahn.. Can't wait!

• meyermike_1micha
    10 years ago

Orphein, I am so sorry..I never saw your post..I will check later for you and thank you everyone for the comments and nice pics!

Robert..I am so happy for you! My sweet almond verbena and brunfelsia plants do about the same thing..They drop many leaves until it warms up and they get more sunlight...I guess we could say they are getting much needed rest.

• ordphien
    10 years ago

It's ok haha. It's rather in exciting to find out I'm just posting flowers as I bought them.